Notices

straight up questions!?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question straight up questions!?

Okay. This site is definitely great. And I know there is only SO much you can do through the web. But... There are people out there, including myself, looking for phone connections from all of you ... Those of us who AREN'NT using AA methods and teachings. You can call it an easier way out or whatever you'd like, yet we need that immediate friendly phone call from someone who can support us mentally at the time. How can you share your phone number and actually reach out?? Thank you all
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Ericamay,

Many of the members who have become friends through the site have shared their numbers with each other. However, this is done privately, and through mutual agreement with the parties involved. The exchange has nothing to do with SR itself. The site itself has no involvement in the mutual agreement between the two members. Indeed, we caution members about divulging personal information on the web.

We do have a chat room, which you can access, if you're in need of immediate assistance. There is often somone there. And there is usually someone on the boards too, to lend a hand in your time of need, thanks to the different time zones and our world community.

But, to get telephone contacts, your best bet is to stick around long enough to make friends. This will take time. It's not safe to give out personal contact information to strangers over the net, and we do not encourage it. However, once you've made good friends with some of the good people here, you may choose to get in contact with them.

In the end though, I urge you to put safty first! Although SR is a wonderful place for recovery, it is open to the entire world. And your well being, indeed, your life, could be at stake. Don't be foolish, ok? There *are* predators out there!

Shalom!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

historyteach has some great advice.

Personally, I do not feel comfortable giving out my phone number, so I just stick to posting on threads and PMing if I have to. Whatever you do, please be safe.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks that's super helpful!! Lol. just wish someone would reach out!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Try your neighborhood Recovery Rooms…Fantastic face to face recovery conversations with others that know what you are going through. Plus, plenty of phone numbers to be given out.

Stay strong
Ivan
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All the local meeting halls i go to have a call list that is available for anyone that walks in the room. we put ourselves on it for people just like you. my number is on the call list and i've gotten calls from people i don't even remember seeing at the meeting but they were reaching out and that's all that matters. i would try your local meeting hall. those rooms can save your life if you'll let them.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I don't think you have to take AA hook line and sinker to get some great local contacts and phone numbers. I have yet to see them send someone away!! It is the best way to get in touch locally and within those folks you will find many varied levels of AA involvement. it is such a huge group for a reason.
Best wishes and I am always happy to chat thru private emails on here.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

In my early months of recovery I certainly was NOT a poster child for AA. lol I didn't know anything about a 12 step program and really didn't want to.

BUT, I went to Lots and Lots of meetings. Why? Because there I felt SAFE! I could go early and help set up and talk to just one or two people, sit through the whole meeting and just listen not talk, stay after the meeting and help clean up, again with only a few people. I got phone numbers.

Then I found out that some groups had activities, like a Sunday Morning Breakfast, made by members (and charged a nominal fee) before a meeting. Some friday night groups had dances after the meetings. Some groups planned outings. All sorts of interesting things started happening and I did participate to a degree, taught me a lot about having fun without the use of alcohol and drugs.

I had found a place where there were people who had been through what I was going through and they were still sober and clean. Somehow they had done it, seemed fairly happy, their laughter came from their guts, and their smiles went all the way to their eyes.

They had felt and still did all those crazy emotions I didn't know what to do with and really had some very helpful advice.

Give your local meetings a shot, you will find some new face to face friends and get some local phone numbers of folks who have been or are where you are now.

J M H O

Love and hugs,