Notices

Paxil CR

Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Paxil CR

Anyone taking Paxil CR? I've been taking it for several months and find it really helps my anxiety attacks. However, I've started having major trouble sleeping at night - and also restless legs. Anyone had any kind of noticable side effects from taking Paxil or Paxil CR? Anyone noticed that antidepressants help with alcohol cravings at all?

A few side effects. Otherwise, it's been a wonderful drug....

PG
Old 08-01-2003, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PianoGirl, I am on Paxil and have been for about 3 months. I was taking 20mg. About a week ago I started having trouble sleeping and when I did I had nightmares. Anyway, my doctor increased it to 30mg and that is working. Over on the PTSD board I had a question about Paxil and Morning Glory and Tammie had some good information. It is under Questions about Paxil. Sometimes I also feel like I am in a different demention. This is hard to explain but, I'll try. I can be in a room with people and I sort of feel like I'm watching them on TV. I also have a little problem getting going sometimes. Mostly getting out of bed. Paxil has helped me with stress and urges. I feel very mellow at times and can handle a most stressful situation at work calmly. Many people on the PTSD
boards are on Paxil,Zoloft etc. so you can get more answers. Don W
Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks...

Don,

I appreciate your feedback. Funny you should mention how Paxil makes you feel kind of spacey sometimes. I feel that way too, occasionally since I've started taking it. I'm on 25 mg. When I was taking regular Paxil, I experienced weird nightmares. Very realistic dreams, etc. Since switching to the Paxil CR, I haven't experienced any weird dreams. It does make me tired out though - I have lots of trouble getting going in the morning. The good of it far outways the bad though. It's really made me a lot more laid back - so much so that now when people around me start to get uptight or hyper it gets on my nerves really bad - I'm just like chill out people! (ha ha - my family could vouch for that).

I'll check out the PTSD section to see what I can find on it there too. Hope it continues to help you! Thanks!

PG
Old 08-05-2003, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi PG, I agree about the Paxil. The benifits are worth the problems. I can identify about the dreams. I was having nightmares that were so real
I had problems for days. They have stopped now.
Heck! The way I look at it when I was drinking I was the nightmare for my wife and others. Hang in there. Don W
Old 08-05-2003, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Amen to that brother!

Just glad we're not living the REAL nightmare we were while drinking ourselves to death.....any nightmare I have on Paxil couldn't even begin to compare to the nightmare of alcohol. That was one I was glad to FINALLY wake up from!

Thanks! Take care

PG
Old 08-13-2003, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi PianoGirl,
I had a similar experience with Zoloft which is a sister med to Paxil. It began to taper off however after about 4 months and now I am sleeping like a baby & no nightmares. I do notice that I like to take naps a lot more than I used to. I am taking Zoloft for panic attacks. I was having so many attacks that I was afraid to be at home alone, but also afraid to drive anywhere away from home. NO WIN!! Since I started taking Zoloft I haven't had a panic attack in 2 years. One battle won, now on to the next.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks KarenLynn

I have heard good things about Zoloft and figured that if Paxil didn't work out, I may have to switch. I too suffered from the same type of panic you did. I couldn't drive anywhere by myself for months, I couldnt hold down a job, etc.

Paxil has helped tremendously. I was on it before but that was when I was drinking heavily, and I think it was conteracting the effects of it. I do notice that I stay more tired though. Sometimes I feel like I could sleep all day! Other days I'm more energetic. Congrats on not having a panic attack in 2 years. That's wonderful. I haven't had one since I came out of Detox in the hospital (over 3 months ago). I know how painful they can be so I understand where you're coming from.

Best wishes to you.

PG
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Late response....

Hi there...don't know if you will get this or not, but I was diagnosed with clinical depression 10 years ago and was prescribed paxil......I couldn't sleep at night, walked into walls when I was up in the night, (it had some sort of strange effect on my pupils not dialating properly), and I was a total head-case. I have now been on effexor (venlaxifine) for the previous 2 years and it is the most wonderful anti-depressant for me. Not one side-effect, I can take it on an empty stomach.....I would just caution you not to drink alcohol with it....(I should take some of my own advice, I think ).

Nikki
Old 08-23-2003, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I feel bad to say this, but I think Paxil is one dangerous drug. I was on it only 6 weeks thank God! It made me feel really crazy and aggravated my drinking. (I drank real hard and hevy on the stuff)I knew I had to get off it.
Please check out the web about Paxil. I think this drug is very harmful and should be taken off the market.
There are other SSRIs out there with fewer problems.
First you can't quit the stuff without withdrawal . Search Paxil Withdrawal on line you will find a whole web site dedicated to it.
Second, sometimes even those who taper off the drug have withdrawal.
When I quit the junk I had vivid dreams, night sweats, dizziness, electrical shock sensations in my extremities it was a nightmare.
Like jemsgirl above your doctor should be able to prescribe a different anti,depressant that doesn't make you feel weird etc. Of course, don't change anything without consulting your MD

hugs
Old 08-23-2003, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile

Hey ya'll,

I too have heard things about Paxil being addictive, etc. But, I guess it's never effected me that way, because I've been on it before (for a year), and came off it with no problem at all. I've been on many different antidepressants, but Paxil is the only one I've found that helps my anxiety/panic disorder. My dreams have gotten less real, the longer I stay on it. The only complaint I have against it now, is that it seems to have increased my appetite (which I heard would happen). I've heard several people say they gained weight while on it. However, I also know some that have lost weight on it. I guess it just effects people differently. I hate being on any type of medicine to be honest, but sometimes you just have to. (especially in this crazy world we live in nowadays - most of us just need something to help keep our sanity)!! Take care.

PG