Notices

Hi, I'm Ken -- and I'm an athletic alcoholic...

Old 07-31-2003, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm Ken -- and I'm an athletic alcoholic...

...that would be creative at meetings, wouldn't it?

Just wanted to share someting special in my life. I have started back on a path (parallel to my sobriety) back to my athleticism. I will be racing a Sprint Triathlon on October 19th. Not a long one; 600yd swim, followed by a 12 mile bike, followed by a 3 mile run. Have much training to do and will probably shed around 24-30 pounds prior to the race, which will get me at a (not so lean) 205 (I'm 6'1").

I used to train and drink (not at the same time), and never had any progress. Then the drinking would eventually consume more time than training, and you know where that led.

I just want to express my gratitude to God, this board and my AA fellowship for allowing me to begin humbly training my body again. Maybe somehow my training and racing will inspire another alcoholic to take a good look at him/her self and have a desire to quit drinking.

I will keep you posted on my progess -- keep your fingers crossed!!!

Ken
Old 08-01-2003, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wonderful Ken!

Sounding good

Old 08-01-2003, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Wow Ken,

Just reading about that Triathalon, made me want to lay down and nap!

Kidding aside, good luck to you on your endeavor. Besides actually being able to do more stuff, I find theres more enjoyment in doing them sober, than I ever remember while drinking.

Keep us posted!

Old 08-01-2003, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

*LOL*@ Doug!

Good for you Ken! I too am on another road to recovery as the beer just took over everything on this body. Won't go into details but not a pretty site! So I've been going to the gym as like you I couldn't workout and drink. Then I'd have a pity party when I wasn't getting results and cry in my 12 pack! The insanity aye?

I've been at it for 9 weeks now and for the first time my blood pressue, cholesterol, good and bad is normal! That in itself is a miracle, plus have lost 13 pounds and wanna get to 70, so 57 more to go.... whew patience!

Now a triathalon I'm not ready for but you work hard and get ready, October will be just around the corner. Good luck on your goal, I know you'll be awesome!

*hugs*

PS Any word from Kai?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Ken!

I love that opening and think you should use it in a meeting sometime! Good luck at the triathalon that sounds absolutley horrid to me! LOL

LG
Old 08-11-2003, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

fitness

Hi Ken,
I am a beginner , this is my first post. I have also felt the need to replace alcohol ( wine) with fitness training. I am just now looking into finding a personnel trainer. I have started drinking wine at night and I want to quit. My mom is an alcoholic. Addiction is in the family genes. Congrats on your marathon training. It takes alot of determination I'm sure.
Donna
Old 08-11-2003, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Welcome to the forum Donna

Hugs,
MG

Old 08-11-2003, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Congrts Ken and welcome Donna!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Donna!!

Looks like we are neighbors. Welcome to the SR board, you're always welcome to share here.

Have you checked out AA? I am far from perfect (only sober 2 weeks today), but it seems to be helping if you do have a problem.

There are PLENTY of Phoenix area meetings, and if you are interested and unsure, I'd be more than happy to attend one with you or meet you at one. I haven't been to many different meetings in the Valley, my typical is a 5:30pm meeting in Peoria.

Let me know... remember, it's one day at a time!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Ken, That sounds great. I know what you are talking about. I used to make all these plans that would take time and effort. My problem is I spent to much time drinking and thinking. Anyway, I wish you luck and a strong tail wend. Don W
Old 08-12-2003, 07:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Ken,
I have been looking over the AA web site for meetings in the Tempe and Chandler area. I'm on my way to Asia, will be returning Aug 22nd and would like to attend a meeting then. Thank you, I would appreciate the support.
Donna

Last edited by dpru; 08-12-2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi dpru

Welcome to SR....

Enjoy your trip..see you when you recturn...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a Great Trip...

Send me a PM when you get back, and we can track down a meeting.

Ken