Notices

question for AAer's about meeting etiquette

Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question for AAer's about meeting etiquette

Im in desperate need of help. been drinking daily and in excess for years I want and need to stop. There is a meeting near me in about an hour.

QUESTION: If I remember correctly they request that u dont speak if you have used in the past 24 hours, well I have. What do I do or say if anything?

For me to speak up I would need to be completely lit which seems to me like Im defeating the purpose, but whatever on that.

Am I allowed to talk if I have a few in me?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I've only heard that saying in NA meetings.....I go to both AA/NA. Feel free to express however you feel.....maybe try to get there early and speak with someone. If you are drunk...depending on the group...they may ask that you listen during the meeting and get with someone afterward to talk. You will most likely get to talk with numerous people afterward. However, if during the meeting...you feel the need to share--you can share where you are at right now. You could "keep it simple" and say "Hi..my name is '.....' and I am having a difficult time stopping drinking. Will someone please help me? I can't do this by myself.

The main thing is to let someone know you need help--they can't help you unless you let them know.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Im really shy. Ive been to meetings before and dont say a word so I know your right. I cant get help if I dont let someone know I need it!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

just go

D
Old 12-21-2008, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Introduce yourself as a newcomer. I have heard many people share who were not sober at the time.

Not so sure about the 24 hour thing.

What Dee said. ^
Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got in the habit of going semi-drunk a couple years back. I was totally defeating the purpose. When I was sober I felt I didn't need to go, yet when I drank I felt guilty and would end up showing up and making a fool of myself and in a way insulting the people that were there.

Go when you're sober and have a clear head or you might find yourself only going after you've been drinking which in my opinion is an insult to the sober people that attend. It's a bad habit to get into because your intention for showing up in the first place when your buzzed isn't always genuine and sincere.

What ever you choose to do good luck and make wise decisions,
Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have gone to meetings under the influence before. If you wish tell them you drank today and you need help
Old 12-21-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Sugah here, sober alcoholic with a very keen sense of smell...

In our meetings, we ask, "Are there any newcomers or out of town guests who would like to introduce themselves so that we can welcome you?" At that point, if I were in your shoes, I'd give my name, my current state (drinking with a desire to stop), and ask for help. Either during the meeting or directly after, I think you'll get what you asked for.

Good luck. Prayers coming your way.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my home group asks "do we have any newcomers who have any questions about AA?"
we have had many people there who has been drinking and usually they may ask a question or two and then listen.After the meeting or before the meeting is a great time to talk with a few AA`s.
We have had a lot of folks plum drunk at a meeting who would not shut up.We asked them outside and 3 or 4 of us sat and talked with them while the rest finished the meeting.
If we expect every alcoholic to show up in a meeting sober and not drinking,I believe we would be mislead.Alcoholics drink and some just cannot make it to a meeting sober at first.

Sugah here, sober alcoholic with a very keen sense of smell...

Sugah,I never heard that before.It`s great!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If we had to wait for folks to sober up before we carried the message to them, we would have never gotten this program. Ebby carried the message to a very drunk Bill W. The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. That being said, it takes alot more than a desire to stay. Come to a meeting drunk or sober, I get the message either way. Quite frankly, I like seeing a wet one from time to time, as long as they aren't belligerant and disruptive.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brandeeno View Post
I got in the habit of going semi-drunk a couple years back. I was totally defeating the purpose. When I was sober I felt I didn't need to go, yet when I drank I felt guilty and would end up showing up and making a fool of myself and in a way insulting the people that were there.

Go when you're sober and have a clear head or you might find yourself only going after you've been drinking which in my opinion is an insult to the sober people that attend. It's a bad habit to get into because your intention for showing up in the first place when your buzzed isn't always genuine and sincere.

What ever you choose to do good luck and make wise decisions,

Reading back on what I said, I realize I'm not correct in this.

I was just reliving my drunk experiences at AA that I regret.

Once a again, Good Luck to you and just showing up at AA is a step in the right direction.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Chance,
Go to the meeting and let them know what's going on. That's what meetings are for. I was plastered my first couple of meetings. Let us know how you make out.
Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I think it's up to the group concious. I've never been to a meeting where anything like that was said - as in no one allowed to speak for any reason. But that doesn't mean a group isn't prevented from doing so, at least I don't think anyways.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Beth,

Just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you today.

Check in and let us know how you are, okay?

Hugging you,

Donna
Old 12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It seems a common custom for newcomers not to share for the first 90 days. Is that true ?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
It seems a common custom for newcomers not to share for the first 90 days. Is that true ?
No.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
At our meetings we suggest that "if you've been drinking please speak with someone after the meeting".

It's a suggestion only, if you need help please do whatever it takes to get the support you need. That's what AA is there for.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ive been drunk as a skunk, I was coming back in and just sat and said nothing. Imo If some needs to ask something let the ask dont try to single them out for not being sober give everyone a chance. This maybe their only time make it a specil as possible If I had been singled out or made fun of I would have never been back I was allready feeling like the scum of the earth no need to have a bunch of drunks point that out to me.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I can only share my experience, the first meeting I ever went to I was drunk on my butt! What I took away from that meeting was that I was made to feel welcome, people were friendly, they cared and they gave me a copy of the book Acoholics Anonymous. It was 5 years before I went to another one, but I still had that book and I was ready to be helped, I asked for help, and I got help!

Go!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok