Notices

Kind of nervous

Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind of nervous

Hello, this is my first post here. Been looking at the boards forever. I've been experiencing extreme withdrawal symptoms the past few days. I drink most days, not everyday, but 4 or 5 days of the week. Once I start, i usually cant stop til I pass out. Most times close to a fifth of vodka a night. I have been a heavy drinker since I was about 20/21. Now am 24.

I've called out of work for 3 days, because the symptoms just seem unbearable. I didn't want to go to work, because I'm usually shaking too badly with muscle spasams. Since I'm required to have a doctor's note for work, my mom wants to take me in a little bit. I'm unsure if she's aware that I'm suffering from withdrawal or just plain sick.

My question is, is there a reason to be nervous going to see the doctor? Is he going to recommend me somewhere for rehab after seeing how I'm reacting? Is this a normal thing for a doctor to see?

I have tremors, muscle spasams, anxiety, increased heart rate, and my stomach is making really loud noises. Also have barely an appetite, and insomnia, so I know that can't healthy.

Thanks for any and all support
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breathing

Welcome Ctwo!!

Good for you on 3 days!!!

Your body is detoxing, and as most if not all of us here can tell you, it's no fun. Going to the doctor is the best thing for you in all likelyhood, since detoxing on your own can be dangerous. Be HONEST with him. He reccomend rehab, or he may prescribe something like Ativan to help w/ the shakes and anxiety. You may also be dehyrated ( I was always dehydrated when I detoxed) and you also may be depleted of b-vitamins. The doc can help you with this as well. But, you gotta be honest with him.

read the sticky links at the top of the forum...they should be a big help, particularly " quitting, what to expect"

I'm glad you're here, keep reading, keep writing, and please come back and tell us how you're doing.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would suggest have your mom leave the room and then be honest with yor doctor. There is no reason to be nervous but I always was. He will probally suggest AA thats what mine did. You can get sober without a rehab stay many have. All the symptoms sound like what I had but im not a doctor. If you stay off the alcohol you will start eating agin maybe more than you want to. Check back in let us know how it went.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm really pleased your going to a doctor.
And yes...you do need to be honest about your drinking
so he/she will be better able to help you.

Welcome to SR
Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jh1

hey bro-dont worry i just went through that and have had your sysmptoms many, many times. Take a deep breath, drink a lot of water, how your feeling will pass. I agree though, its not easy being true with your doc because i usually wasn't because i never wnted my parents to find out how much i drink, they know i do, but not the extent-but yea just have her stay behind and be honest with him. Your pains though are totally normal for the detox your going through-i mean you do drink quite a bit like me. You need to do this though because its affecting your life negatively in different ways. Itll work out, stay positive.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, glad you have come and posted. You do symptoms of detox, alcoholism. A doctor can help you and advise you on what you should do next. Do not be afraid of asking for help as we cannot do this alone. I tried for years..I had to reach out to therapists, this forum, rehab, detox, a sponsor, myhigher power.
Hang strong andreach out for help, that is what doctors, this forum, AA etc etc. is there for.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

during detoxing, i ONLY went to the Dr. because I needed a note. Im so glad that I did. The peace of mind it gave me knowing that I told my dr, plus the Rx helped. He gave me something for stomach and something for anxiety. It helped but detox was still very very harsh and I was thinking "wow and i thought i coudl do this on my own? imagine if i didnt have these prescriptions!" It would have been twice as bad. I didnt have insurance either so I had to BORROW MONEY from my PARENTS (after telling them what was going on, they thought i was just sick) to see my own doctor. and for the prescriptions.

telling my parents was the best thing ive ever done. even tho there were some words, some dissapointment, tears, fists, etc: having support during detox is necessary. Just having someone KNOW that youre going through something horrible and having it off your chest. I could have never got through it without my parents knowing.

good luck and be careful. after my detox, since i wasnt an "alcoholic" i soon started drinking "normally". since, like you, i didnt drink EVERY day and whatnot. but it got heavier over the next 3 months, then ended on a 3day weekend with some friends binge drinking day and night... which led me to my 2nd detox. which I now am on day 9 of, lol. Now I'm pretty sure that I wont be going back to "normal" drinking, even when I feel better (im still pretty beaten).. because I know what it MIGHT lead to.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

C-

Nice work on getting the help fast. It is a funny thing this alcohol. It will lull you back into thinking you can do it, but if you can't, you just can't, I think that's how it works. I think dealing with all the social/personal pressures get easier (as does most pain) as you remain healthy and alow time to heal all wounds. I wish you all the best in your quest my man.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're going to your doctor. Medical supervision during detox is a good idea. He may be able to give you a small scrip for some anti anxiety meds. Drink lots of water and juice and know that if you don't start drinking again you'll never have to go thru this hell again.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CTwo View Post
My question is, is there a reason to be nervous going to see the doctor?
Only if you don't want the truth to come out. If you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you'll want to hear what the doctor says, and take whatever measures he suggests. However, if you don't want to get help, it won't matter anyway 'cause you'll just poo poo what he says and find yourself in this same situation at a later date.....if you don't die first.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CTwo View Post
My question is, is there a reason to be nervous going to see the doctor? Is he going to recommend me somewhere for rehab after seeing how I'm reacting? Is this a normal thing for a doctor to see?

I have tremors, muscle spasams, anxiety, increased heart rate, and my stomach is making really loud noises. Also have barely an appetite, and insomnia, so I know that can't healthy.

Thanks for any and all support

I personally hate going to the Doctor myself and will self-medicate unless the situation is dire. I tend to get ill just driving by the hospital and if I ever have to go my blood pressure and heart rate skyrocket through the roof. Because of this, when I go in for an exam I am often times misdiagnosed and they want to run tests which are uneccessary and only add to my fear/hate of hospitals and Doctors.

Good Luck in what you decide........and just think, if we live, exercise, and eat healthy we don't have to worry about our dislike of Doctors cause they'll be no reason to go