Notices

I'm New

Old 12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm New

I am on day one and hope this forum and other support will help me through. My father has been sober 40 years so I know its possible. I'm sure I'll be back here often. I'm thankful for the internet.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Welcome! This site is full of great people and lots of helpful advice for the taking. I found this site to be very supportive in my recovery when I let it.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see a new member...
Welcome to SR!

Please keep posting...ask questions...share..vent
we are here 24/7
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you're here! And you're right -- it is possible. Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Hang in there!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yay for you, AND your Dad.

Welcome to SR.

Last edited by coffeenut; 12-08-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Welcome!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and just now that you can do it.....it's not always easy but just make a start and your halfway there ...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

this is where i started too in my quest for soberness almost 3 months ago and I am still going strong! You can do it too! Getting past those first 2 weeks is rough but I promise it gets easier and easier.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who responded with well wishes. I am going to need all the support I can get. I am probably going to my first AA meeting tonight (women only). Because my Dad is like famous in AA in our neighborhood so I'm probaby going to have a hard time finding a meeting he doesn't go to and I want to be able to be as anonymous as possible. I figure women only meetings are the only ones I know he can't go to. I also checked out another organization called women for sobriety but I'm not sure my schedule will allow me to go to the meeting since they are only once a week. Any words of support will be appreciated. Thanks to all who are here to help.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Welcome Lorel to the family of SR .. dont fear your first time meeting . they will welcome you just like we have here . we look forward to your posting and sharing with us . :ghug3 Endzy
Old 12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you will have a great real world support group around you too! Congrats on making it through day one.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One of the many things I've found helpful about this site is that you'll find people that have been "working sobriety" for various amounts of time. So you'll see input from people that are anywhere from still drinking/using trying to quit on up to years sober.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just tried to go to my first meeting, but got the address wrong and drove around for an hour looking for the church. I thought the AA website had the wrong information and was ready to give someone hell, but it was my mistake. I was so worked up and anxious to end up turning around and going home feeling totally dejected really sucks. Tuesdays are my only free nights and so I'll have to wait a week to try again. This sucks. I'm glad this forum is here so I could vent.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gosh ..that is a shame...

I found a meeting before I went to work.
7 a.m. was great for me...
I now attend one at noon.

How about right after work?
Not all meetings are at night.

Please look on the web site for the
local AA Inter Group number.
Calling them will usually give you
more up to date information.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome aboard. I'm really sorry the meeting didn't work out tonight. A women's meeting would have been a good way to start. That was my first meeting and it helped me identify right off the bat with people who "understood" and who I could relate to. I really hope you can make it next week.

In the meantime there are online meetings here at SR. They are conducted via the chat room. Paulos, someone we are VERY proud of as we watch him grow in recovery, has taken on the responsibility of hosting them. Just look for the threads he will start telling us when one is due to start. I believe they are at 8:00 Central time, 9:00 Eastern. It's not face to face but it is a meeting.

Another program you might want to look at if you are ok with the God aspect of things is Celebrate Recovery. They are meetings that are usually held in churches and work the steps.

If you haven't done so already, please make sure you step in and introduce yourself on the Newcomers board and the Women in Recovery Board for more support options. And by all means post hear and the board right below this one which is specific to AA. That should keep you busy and give you lots of info and support.

Glad you are here and hope this helped!
Kellye
Old 12-10-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the helpful tips. It really is nice to know people like you guys are here. I will try again next Tuesday. I do not have a lot of free time b/c I am a single mom and work full time. I'm sure a lot of you can relate, but my daughter is the reason I have to do this. I can't let her down. I'm not going to let one little bump in the road stop me. I found another meeting with babysitting so I may try to check that one out too. Also there are some near my office around lunch, but for now I want to go with the women only until I feel more relaxed. Thanks everyone!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes it's a shame you missed the meeting, but at least you got up the guts to (try) and go.
Better luck for next week hey : )
Old 12-10-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your decision to get sober. Welcome to a great place for support and enouragement. We're glad you found us!