Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I've seen a lot of young newcomers here lately...

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about AA meetings and the horror stories. drunk at meetings, DUI, spousal abuse, prison, why some guys have ankle bracelets, grumpy old guys, etc...

Whatever brought them there, they're there for the same reason you're there. To get clean. And give it a few months, and you'll see that gleam in their eye as they've found some form of peace in their lives.

If you're around this website long enough, you'll see some of us have been to jail. Even me.

Don't worry about it. Just sit next to the chair if you're uncomfortable. At least that's one of our traditions here. We always leave the seat next to the chair free for anyone who's nervous.

Good luck and keep coming back. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I talked about that this morning in a meeting.

I didn't deny the drinking part and having a problem with it.

My twisted thinking had me believing my life was manageable.

That's the insanity part!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's one of the many beauties of AA. Yale to jail, Park avenue to park bench. It can be intimidating to the newcomer I suppose, but it's important to have an open mind. I'm a youngin', the first time I came around the rooms I was 18. I thought those guys were all too old and I couldn't possibly relate to them. Still I stuck around for a little and heard the message. I just couldn't make that admission of powerlessness. I went out for a rematch and came back years later with my tail between my legs. Now that I've been back for a while I can see the error of my past. Had I been more open minded the first time around I may have saved myself a wicked beating. I associated with the felons and older guys outside the rooms, if they had what I wanted. This time around I have opened up to the group, and not let looks, age, background, or anything else lead me to a quick judgement. I am blessed to have another chance, and some of the best members with long-term sobriety did some prison time. A bottom is a bottom, their different for everyone. What's important is what we do from there. With all that said, I agree with you entirely Texas. For the newcomer, don't let anyone scare you out of the rooms of AA. It's a blessing to be able to attend meetings, and in my experience they lead to a much better life. Good luck all and God bless.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Of course everyone I know came into their first meeting scared.
I was too and I was with a friend ...something I do reccomend.

I also suggest a newcomer find a seat by a member
of the same sex. Try to sit by someone who looks
relaxed and smiling.

I do think finding a meeting close to where you live
gives you a better chance at finding people easier to relate to.

You do not have to speak.
No matter what meeting I've been to.....
I've always felt I was welcome.

Just go and listen. Why not?

If you would like the facts about AA
and are curious about meetings...
Please check out ....
"Curious About AA Meetings"

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

Forward we go..side by side

Last edited by CarolD; 12-08-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really believe that the younger people bring a new life into meetings.

I enjoy those meetings where they "get it". The light in their eyes returns. It's an amazing thing when they can get into recovery at such a young age.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Latte View Post
I really believe that the younger people bring a new life into meetings.

I enjoy those meetings where they "get it". The light in their eyes returns. It's an amazing thing when they can get into recovery at such a young age.
Oh yeah, I love seeing 18 year olds come in because they'll get it before they're even legally allowed to do it. That's a real gift. Don't wait until you 33 or older to start your life.

I tossed away so many years thanks to alcohol. I would have been so happy to "get it" so young.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great thread Tex..... I was 52 when I got sober and into the rooms for the right reasons.

What I find interesting is how some of the happiest most serene people I see in the rooms have been to jail and prison, they have been through hell, yet today they smile and laugh. To look at them you would never dream it today.

Nothing thrills me more then to see a young person "Get it!", to see a smile replace that deer in the head lights look is awesome!!!! I have always felt since I got into AA that any time I want or need to see a miracle or 2 all I need to do is go to a meeting, they are full of miracles, both young and old, black or white, male or female, straight or gay, religous or athiest, the miracle of alcoholism and recovery knows no bounds!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so thankful for successful, sober members of AA. I didn't think a decent life sober was possible, but the first meeting, on a Friday night, with a roomful of clear eyed, cheerful people convinced me immediately there was hope.

Even today, my favorite part of the readings is "If you want what we have...."

The example they gave me was kindness, serenity, a joy in sober living, a great interest in helping others, a relationship with God, a better outlook on life...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

It is weird, it was so hard for me to get to that meeting, but I almost find myself excited to go to my meeting tomorrow. I went to several meetings on different days and different locations before I found one I liked. And I kept coming back, even though I kept on relapsing. My low was my second DWI.....haven't looked back since. And I feel great
Old 12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Looking back, I stayed sober on a resentment. I used to go pick up this guy and take him to the meetings. You know the type, I'll be bringing people to meetings when, i get my dl back!. Anyway, he gets his dl back. We quit seeing him. H e comes in the night, I pick up my first year coin. Seems, he showed up to collect a bet he'd made with a woman in the meeting over me staying sober for a year.

I stayed around just to prove that woman wrong. The guy I took to meetings, never came back. Shortly there after, he gets a 4 th DUI and does some prison time. He didn't learn what the AA program is about. It's about paying it forward.

AA is like playing a country song backwards, you get your car back, get you job back, your wife back etc.

You take someone under your wing, teach them all you can about how the program works and hope, they learned enough from you to help out the next person in recovery

I look around at the people that, are in a meeting some times and wonder what, I'm doing in here. Then, the harsh reality hits me, I'm there to save my @ss. still see people with ten years and more trying to drink like a gentleman. The pure insanity of it all.

Small towns like mine, I had friends in the first meeting I went to. It was almost like a ton of bricks off my back when, after I was first stepped, I uttered the words honestly for the first time, I'm Chris and I'm an alcoholic.

Any one new to the program, don't get discouraged over a slip. Keep coming back. We had a topic last night over emotions . Getting sober puts you in touch with feelings for the first time that, can be overwhelming.

Let me stress, the rewards are worth it, that's why the people that come on here with years of sobriety offer you words of encouragement.

Last but not least, it's not about being sober today, it's about the serenity. That's the key. I'm around many sober people that, are miserable. I didn't get sober to be unhappy, I got sober to have a good and productive life. To acheive this, it involves helping other people in and out of the program.

Good topic!!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
It is weird, it was so hard for me to get to that meeting, but I almost find myself excited to go to my meeting tomorrow. I went to several meetings on different days and different locations before I found one I liked. And I kept coming back, even though I kept on relapsing. My low was my second DWI.....haven't looked back since. And I feel great
MagicMan: that's exactly the way to do it. Right on.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
AA is like playing a country song backwards, you get your car back, get you job back, your wife back etc.
Haha! That was HILARIOUS!! soooo true.

Ok, why am I SO DEATHLY AFRAID of meeting??? I went to my first one last week, and it was so scary!! I have tried to go back several times but can't get out of my car. I circle the parking lot a few times then just end up going home like a big dork.

I consider myself a pretty tough girl, I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't do this. Probably cuz it forces me to open up and deal with my feelings, ya think that might be why? duh....
Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My first meeting was almost a joke, (outside treatment) i have another home which is miles from anyone the nearest town is like pop 2,500 this meeting consisted of 3 people including me, 20 yrs there younger whew, what a mess, anyway i kept on keeping on and learned alot from the old timers. Now i live for the winter anyway in a desent size town where there are tons of meetings and alot of peeps, keep looking until you find what fits you.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sicilia1414 View Post

Ok, why am I SO DEATHLY AFRAID of meeting??? I went to my first one last week, and it was so scary!! I have tried to go back several times but can't get out of my car. I circle the parking lot a few times then just end up going home like a big dork.

I consider myself a pretty tough girl, I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't do this. Probably cuz it forces me to open up and deal with my feelings, ya think that might be why? duh....

Never been afraid of going to any meeting. If i can offer any ESH at any meeting I attend, I share or, just listen if, I need to hear something.

I can't say that about a lot of bars I went to. I've always been apprehensive about going to a bar in a strange city.
I've been rolled leaving a Seattle bar at 2 in the morning. Never have had that happen at any meeting

For the most part, a lot of bartenders didn't want me in the bar in my town any way if, I got all cowboyed up.

Many times, a new commer or, someone passing thru will say something that, leaves a lasting impression with a group.

If, drinking hasn't casued you problems in your life to begin with, you wouldn't be driving by the outside of a meeting to begin with

No matter what town or, what state I've ever been in, I felt welcomed at a meeting.

I glanced back at what you wrote again. The crazy part about being in a meeting, no matter what you say or, what you have done, there's someone in there that's done the same thing, felt the same way or, knows someone in the program that has.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sicilia1414 View Post

Hey, how hard is it for an ex-con to share their feelings? Pretty damn hard, but it'll happen.

Go in. Stand outside the door. Go in late and leave early. These are all real options. Find your way and the program will tailor itself to you. At least that's what I've found. "Hi, I'm Sicilia1414, and I'm new at this." You'll have 20 new best friends. 20 new people for coffee. 20 new people you can call before picking up.

That's the program to me. The community. The shared experience.