Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

NYC apparently is a great place to be a recovering alcoholic

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is another thing i learned at the meeting tonight.......perhaps this goes on other places as well, i'm sure it does.........i didn't quite get all the details but over the Christmas holidays there will be 24/7 share-a-thons for alcoholics through NYE.........wow! i won't have to be alone at all!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup, it's a beautiful thing. Spending some holidays with my group in jersey has helped me a lot with seeing how I can have a good time without drinking. It's great just to know there's a safe place to be while all of the madness is going on out there in the real world. For me it's a weight off my back, I got no excuse to go around the madness of the holidays. Glad to hear you are enjoying your AA experience so far. Jump on in and stay at it. God bless.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes... and .you can hang out as long as you want.
It's really a moving experience.
Some groups have buffets or finger food for snacks.
...Some don't...sso eat first.

Good to see your moving forward...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Shug NYC I have heard is awesome AA, even in the podunk town of Fredericksburg we have what we call the "Alcathon'! It is held in a comminity center and is 24X7, meetings, fellowship, speakers, food, and even Santa Claus for the kids! The whole thing is family oriented with plenty of room for those needing some personal one on one fellowshipping as well as those wishing to play cards or board games!

Oh yea did I mention FOOD!!!!! Lots and lots of food and fellowshipping. We have had several people begin thier road to sobriety by staying at the Alcathon the whole three days.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's also the home of Agnostic A.A. Meetings in New York City.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it's not just new york......i spoke to my sober-for-three-years friend in Atlanta last night and he said the same thing about Atlanta. i guess there is great need everywhere.

one funny note: i noticed new yorkers say the Lord's Prayer a lot faster here than in the AA meetings in Atlanta that i went to years ago!!

the meeting seemed more dynamic too - people were more confident and introducing themselves to me..........possibly because i was taken to the meeting by a couple who often attends. that really decreased the fear factor for me.

i also think that years ago in Atlanta when i went to a few Al-Anon and AA meetings at age 27, i just wasn't quite ready to delve in. 18 years later, a lot has changed and i know i'm ready now.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

ShugI went to my first meeting about 5 years before I got sober, I was drunk and not ready, the next meeting I went to I was ready, I was in detox and in a huge mental fog, but they had what I wanted.

They say the Lords Prayer funny in Baltimore to!!!! LOL Diferrent cadence! We have several athiest in the rooms in my area, although they do not say the prayer they still hook up, I am pretty close to one and asked him why he still hooked up even though he did not say the prayer....... he answered "Don't you feel the vibe when we hook up?" I had to answer yes, I love that feeling of unity, he does as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Was not too long ago i had to layover in Clifton N.J , some of my friends there took me to NYC to do a little out on the town thing, we also caught a meeting, very large group it was great.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
We have several athiest in the rooms in my area, although they do not say the prayer they still hook up, I am pretty close to one and asked him why he still hooked up even though he did not say the prayer....... he answered "Don't you feel the vibe when we hook up?" I had to answer yes, I love that feeling of unity, he does as well.
I do the same and for the same reason. Also, to not seem like a ****. I have, at time, opted out, as well. The Noon group I've been going to ends with a different prayer, maybe something from the Big Book? The Atheist & Agnostic meeting I go to ends with a moment of silence, nothing more. That works for me.