Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Why am I not dying from my levels of Alcohol consumption?

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The government daily limits for alcohol consumtion are around 3-4 units a day. I consumed that in the past five minutes. I have probably consumed 50-60 units already today. Why am I not dead?

I have been a chronic alcoholic for 15 years.

By the way I am 30 years old.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

When was your last medical check-up?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

maybe you are meant to live long enough to get to the doctor and experience the joys of sober living and sobriety.How about it?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm glad you found us. You don't need to drink yourself to death. If you want answers, support, and hope, you have come to the right place. Come back soon.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again...

I think you coming here is an indication
that you want to stop drinking.

Have you considered having a medically supervised de tox?
That would be the safest way to quit.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

life awaits...

Couldn't help noticing the tinge of self-hatred (maybe under the thin disguise of humour noir) you employ when describing your alcoholic intake. This is already a sign that you want to f8@*ing stop this nightmare. You are not dead, because God has a plan for you. I myself asked this question a billion times (I'm only 4 years your senior, but equally chronic alcoholic) so far. Just make sure to make a master plan out of it. At just 30, this is very much still doable...

Peace & Love,
Goob
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At that level, you need to be medically detoxed. I don't know what you're drinking, but keep in mind a 1.75 liter of hard liquor is technically the equivalent of 55 - 60 units.

I was close to that level and all it took was the one seizure I had (that huge explosion in your brain) was enough to scare me straight. At the very least cut way back.

I should add that I'm 33 and I was very lucky that my blood tests all came back perfectly fine. My liver is only slightly inflamed.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have probably consumed 50-60 units already today. Why am I not dead?
At that sort of rate you will be.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's the reality. Welcome to SR, i hope you stick around.

Paul
Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Couldnt agree more with the replies you have gotten, I will only add that liver disease is hard to diagnose until it gets serious so it might be worth seeing a doctor soon.

I was drinking quite a bit less than you and my liver showed signs of deterioration, its fine now, but i had no symptoms at all.

You really need to check, it doesnt affect all drinkers but better safe than sorry.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Why are you still alive drinking like that? Could be because you are an alcoholic like me! Normal people can not drink the quanities that many alcoholics drink and live, that is a fact.

Why are you still alive? Well it very well could be that there are powers greater then your self that have other plans for you if you quit drinking?

If you are able to post here then it is far from being too late, see a doctor, get detoxed, stay sober and start living life instead of existing.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just want to say, I hope you try & stop. Reach out for help. There are people here who will and want to support you. Your post made me sad. Thats why I need to stop, and stay stopped, because I don't want to get to that stage. It's not to late, so give it a go. And don't hate yourself, I am good at that to.........try and be kind to yourself, your a good person but don't believe it do you?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Breathing

Hey, you made it here... Major league step.

At your current rate of consuption ( I think I was about tied with you there) A medical Detox is your safest bet. Seizures, hallucinations, racing heart, syrocketing Blood pressure... Heart attack and stroke..can and do happen when you suddenly remove all of that from your system.

Please call your doctor.

We'll be here for you.

God Bless
Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound dumb but could someone please explain to me what 3-4 units is (like what a couple drinks) and what 50-60 units are? 50-60 sounds pretty bad, but then again I can drink a bottle of wine plus with no problem (oh I know it's a problem - what I'm saying is I do it regularly). Please advise and ANON you are alive because you are meant to be. If you want to stop you will DEFINITELY need medical attention before you consider this. Good luck and please keep the faith.

K.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyDaisy View Post
I don't mean to sound dumb but could someone please explain to me what 3-4 units is (like what a couple drinks) and what 50-60 units are? 50-60 sounds pretty bad, but then again I can drink a bottle of wine plus with no problem (oh I know it's a problem - what I'm saying is I do it regularly). Please advise and ANON you are alive because you are meant to be. If you want to stop you will DEFINITELY need medical attention before you consider this. Good luck and please keep the faith.

K.
A "unit" is technically 1 beer, or 1 8 oz. glass of wine or 1 and 1/2 ounces of hard liquor.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

bottle of wine - 9 units
large beer (pint) - 2 units
bottle of spirits - 30ish

so you would be doing a couple of bottles of say...vodka a day...which is seriously impressive! As you said it doesnt kill quick save for the choking on vomit, falling whilst drunk, case of acute blood poisoning so you have a long time to go yet, would be worth getting some help ior at least making another post!!!!

Good luck anyway!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Originally Posted by anon2007 View Post
The government daily limits for alcohol consumtion are around 3-4 units a day. I consumed that in the past five minutes. I have probably consumed 50-60 units already today. Why am I not dead?

I have been a chronic alcoholic for 15 years.

By the way I am 30 years old.

This might not sound so nice but you asked . . . maybe you are dying and you just haven't arrived there yet.

I hope you get sober . . .
Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

From the amounts you drink you must be in sheer hell.

You don't have to live like this and you're obviously worried about it.

Please do something about it, it can all go downhill VERY fast...
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The drummer from the Byrds died at 47 after drinking
a bottle of vodka a day for years.
Here's his open letter to children to not start drinking.
he knew he was dying when he wrote this.

Because I destroyed my liver with alcohol, my wastes had no way to leave my body and as a result my testicles swelled up to the size of a basketball. You can't even imagine how painful they were. It was like someone took a sledge hammer and hit them about 1000 times and wouldn't stop.
My chest, stomach and legs swelled up so huge I was the size of a summa wrestler. I could hardly move. My eyes turned yellow and my skin was discolored from the toxic wastes in my body.
I had to go to the hospital so the doctors could drain the poisonous fluid from my abdomen to keep me from exploding. They inserted a catheter into my bladder through my urethra to draw off the urine into a plastic bag attached to my leg with an elastic strap. I screamed with the pain. I lost all my dignity and there was nothing more they could do to save me, so they sent me home to face death.

Death By Alcohol for the drummer of the Byrd's

Last edited by AcceptingChange; 12-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.