Notices

It is a 'new' life..I can assure you

Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is a 'new' life..I can assure you

...and its so much better than the previous one.

My last drink was on 23rd April 2008...seven months ago a 27 year drinking career ended. The spiral of negativity stopped and a new life started.

Its Sunday morning here in the UK and i was up at 8am without a hangover. Every day I look back and ask myself 'what have I achieved'...I didnt drink, thats what I achieved and I am so proud of myself.

I still get the urge to drink and I doubt that it will ever go away, I dream of alcohol every now and then and when i wake up i get that 'thank god it was only a dream' feeling.

This is an unstoppable train, I have seven months under my belt..the momentum is there to make 8 months. I used to buy my beer/wine in a supermarket up the road...never been in there since, at one point I was embarrassed as they started to recognise me as only buying alcohol.

I was down the beach recently with friends at a party....towards the end it suddenly dawned on me that I was enjoying myself yet I was sober...first time in my adult life..43 years old.

Im not going into the improved physical side of things as they pale into total insignificance compared to the mental battle and daily victories I have achieved..needless to say its been worth it.

This forum has been excellent, to be honest its the first time ive been back in a few months as I had reached a point in my recovery where I felt reading the stories of those who were struggling was actually having an effect on me..almost giving me an excuse to fail as well...I cant really explain it but I appear to be over that obstacle now.

Ive developed a 'routine' , a routine that ensures that I dont drink. This routine is encapsulated in my head and it got me through the summer lets see how it handles Christmas.

Also on a positive side I have actually developed a craving for soft drinks. I need to have those soft drinks every night in place of my alcohol, thats part of my routine...how good is that eh!....I enjoy it,it gives me a different kind of buzz.....who cares if my teeth fall out..
Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great Pounding! It is nice to hear you sounding happy and positive.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your post. Great to hear how good life will be,,
Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you
Old 11-23-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pounding thats so good to read. I needed that this morning.
I feel I am going wrong because I haven't got a routine sorted. I keep relapsing because of this. I have to accept that I must do everything differently and put recovery before anything else in my life!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thanks for the share Pounding!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Well done Pounding, each to their own and what ever works :-)
Old 11-23-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, and I'm glad you're here!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou all for your support...there are so many other positives that have come out of this (and im sure some of you will know where im coming from) but i wont bore you all

take care
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...

Blessings
Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for these thoughts from 7 months out. I am 17 days and every one of them has been better than most of the past 10 years or so. Thank you for the talk about developing a routine and craving for soft drinks. I know that new things have to take the place of old things and the old habits are very deeply set.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for a positive thread.

My last drink was May30th, coming up to 6 months, i can relate to everything you said.

Thank you

Paul