Notices

Am i an Alcoholic?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am i an Alcoholic?

Hi, i wanted to get some advice because i think that i have a drink problem, i dont drink every day and can go a whole week without a drink but whenever i have 1 it always leads to more and i cant stop myself, i go on huge benders from thursday to sunday with hardly any sleep or food and just drink myself into oblivion, i also take cocaine to keep myself awake and allow myself to drink more.
I would say i have been doing this almost every weekend for the last 7 or 8 years and i think it is all catching up with me, i have been having alot of blackouts recently whenever i drink and can never remember parts of the night, i also seem to get more confused now when im really drunk my freinds tell me that i blurt out bizzare comments that make no sense and just act totally out of character making a absoloute fool of myself. The next day my hangovers are so bad that i cant move from bed and suffer horrible anxiety attacks and paranoia.
I suffer from depression and social anxiety and alcohol is the only thing that seems to brings my anxiety to a managable level i usually have to have a few drinks just to do simple things like get my hair cut or go to the dentist.

Ive just read this message and it looks to me like im looking for sympathy or something, im really not i would just like to know has anyone been through similar things? if so id really like to hear about it

Thanks for reading
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Iain121 View Post
...i usually have to have a few drinks just to do simple things like get my hair cut or go to the dentist.
Alcoholism is not defined by how much or how often that you drink but rather by progression and lack of control. The quote above does indicate a certain amount of "lack of control".

The 3 questions that you should ask yourself are;

1. Do I drink more than I used to?

2. Do I sometimes drink more than I intend to?

3. Do I sometimes regret what I do while drinking?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm a weekend binger, too.

i certainly consider myself to be an alcoholic.

i'm new to this board because i want to stop.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Iain,

I can relate to your post very well, I was a binge drinker too. Those three day hangovers were almost the death of me.

I urge you to find help. Talk with people here and I recommend some type of face to face interaction. I use AA, it's the only recovery program I'm familiar with, but there are others. Folks on here can elaborate on different recovery methods.

If you think you have a problem, seek help. Don't be afraid! Find out for yourself what thousands upon thousands of people in recovery can attest to; there is life after addiction.

Peace
Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

Please read this link ...solid information on alcoholism

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Glad to see a new member...
Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iain121 View Post
Hi, i wanted to get some advice because i think that i have a drink problem, i dont drink every day and can go a whole week without a drink but whenever i have 1 it always leads to more and i cant stop myself, i go on huge benders from thursday to sunday with hardly any sleep or food and just drink myself into oblivion, i also take cocaine to keep myself awake and allow myself to drink more.
I would say i have been doing this almost every weekend for the last 7 or 8 years and i think it is all catching up with me, i have been having alot of blackouts recently whenever i drink and can never remember parts of the night, i also seem to get more confused now when im really drunk my freinds tell me that i blurt out bizzare comments that make no sense and just act totally out of character making a absoloute fool of myself. The next day my hangovers are so bad that i cant move from bed and suffer horrible anxiety attacks and paranoia.
I suffer from depression and social anxiety and alcohol is the only thing that seems to brings my anxiety to a managable level i usually have to have a few drinks just to do simple things like get my hair cut or go to the dentist.

Ive just read this message and it looks to me like im looking for sympathy or something, im really not i would just like to know has anyone been through similar things? if so id really like to hear about it

Thanks for reading

WELCOME!!!

Yeah, I would attend meetings, and compare my drinking with the heaviest, chronic alcoholics and think I didn't have a problem, until I heard one simple definition of my alcoholism. I didn't get into trouble every time I drank, but every time I got into trouble I had been drinking. Later I heard another great definition which also fit me to a T. When I started drinking, I could not guarantee the outcome-I could have 2, I could have 20.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,

whenever i have 1 it always leads to more and i cant stop myself,
That is the story of my drinking. And I am an alcoholic