Notices

Sober Time Question.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sober Time Question.

Hi All,
I would like to know this. --------- If my sober start was 24/8/08 and between then and now I have had a wee slip does that mean I have to enter a new start date?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A slip is a slip, no matter how wee it was!

Better to try devoting time to understand why the wee slip happened. Why didn't you make that call? Get to a meeting?

The important step is to aacknowledge the slip, then start again, one day at a time.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most would say...

Yes.

But you shouldn't place too much emphasis on time. It really isn't all that important
Old 11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say yes. I think you would have to ask yourself how you can have so many weeks, months, years sobriety and have a slip within it.

All that really matters anyway is today. My last drink was nearly six months ago, yet the day out of all this that matters is today.

Just my thoughts.

Paul
Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As I work a program with honesty ....I would be
compelled to restart my date of sobriety if I had a drink.

Yes..even a single drink.

I am responsible for my recovery and how another
chooses to count their sober time is none of my business.

I started over many many times before I finally quit
so I think the important thing is to actually stop.

Good to see you again
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thankyou to all your answers. Yes I am too focused on time not the real issue - sobriety. I guess I was so proud of my 57 days sober, that it hurts to start at zero again!! Oh well only myself to blame. You see I am an impatient sort and I have this burning desire to get to 1 year sober (363 days away now).!!!!!!!!! I have got to slow down and do (ONE DAY AT A TIME). :praying
Old 11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have this inner self talk that says if I can do one year sober then I'll be home and hosed!! (That means cured)..
Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Julesy View Post
I have had a wee slip does that mean I have to enter a new start date?
A "Wee slip" is like a "Wee bit pregnant"
Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To Thine Own Self Be True

If I said I had 10 years sober and drank just a little, only a couple of times...would that make YOU less sober? Of course not!

I've tried to stay sober for the courts, I tried to stay sober for the wife, I tried to stay sober for friends in the program, I've tried to stay sober for many different things and it never worked.

Eventually my reason to stay sober wouldn't be around, the courts would release me from obligation, the wife would be out of town, that AA friend would quit going to meetings and my reason to be sober would be gone.

When I became my reason for being sober it got alot less confusing. My reason for being sober was always with me.

Keep moving forward and never give up Julesy, sobriety is worth it...

God's Peace
Old 11-10-2008, 03:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Julesy I think most of us are impatient. We want what we want and we want it right now! People with 10 months want ten years but there is a saying "time takes time". God but I used to hate hearing that (cause I wanted to be so much further along than where I was and that is how my sponsor would draw me up short). But it is true.

I would like to caution you on the thought that you are somehow "cured" just because you didn't drink for a year. That is your disease trying to feed you a line of BS. See we have the only disease that tells us we don't have a disease, that we are really fine.

Alcohol is truly cunning, baffling and powerful. And add in patient. Speaking for myself that first year or so I was sober my disease was hard at work trying to convince me that I really wasn't an alcoholic. My disease picked out milestones such as 3 mos, 6 mos,9 mos, 1 year and 18 mos and told me "see you have got _____ months sober so maybe you aren't really an alcoholic. It can be different this time. I would not so nicely tell my disease to "F" off. It was, and is, a battle for my life so if you feel the same way please don't be lulled into thinking that after 1 year (or 10yrs for that matter) you are cured. This disease is progressive and it sits back doing push ups and I've heard people share in the rooms that were sobere for years and went back out that very quickly they were back to their lowest point before and then even lower.

Anyway, hope this helps and all the best to you as you start back on track.

Take care,
Kellye