Notices

Emotional Pain In Sobriety

Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Tib I am so happy that you have several weeks of sobriety! That is absolutely amazing! :ghug2

I too am on that roller-coaster and it's a nightmare at times! Up and then down, then down more... then up, then back down. One minute I am ecstatically happy, then suddenly I am irritated, then suddenly I hate myself and everyone, then suddenly I am incredibly sad. Over and over.

People keep telling me that it's normal to feel this way... it's our mind's way of dealing with all of our previously buried (and normal) emotions. The best piece of advice that I've been given was from this guy who is 15 years sober. He told me that "They are feelings. They are normal. Let them out, and they will eventually dissipate."

Another important thing I keep hearing from others is that the longer we stay sober, the more our emotions will level out. After I passed the 30-day mark, I noticed a slight improvement. And the past couple of weeks have been better still.

Just keep hanging on... it's normal! You will start feeling better soon.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I hate sobriety. I have a few weeks sober & I actually feel worse than I did when drinking. Meetings do nothing for the deep depression that I have experienced for many years. I would drink if I thought it would help but I think I finally realized that it does not. I hate my life and what alcohol/drugs have done to it. I feel like I am in a giant hole that I will never escape from. If it wasn't for family I would of ended it a long time ago. I just want the pain to go away.

tib
Tib and others,

Tazman hit the nail on the head. Please see a doctor.

Today's medical understandings of substance abuse and depression are far more advanced that what they were even five years ago.

You may have to ask around for a good referral from a friend. Not all doctors are created equal. Try to find a young doctor, especially a young female doctor. If you don't have money for a regular doctor appointment, try to seek out a health clinic. They often have some of the best substance abuse and depression professionals.

I think you might find that within a week you have an entirely different outlook on life. Overall, it will take far longer than just a week. It will take months, and maybe years. But, with each day, things do get better. I know. I've been there.

Don't give up,
Toivo
Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good God, I thought I was the only one whose life got worse when I got sober. Nice to know the fellowship has others that have been where I've been.
Our lives got worse because we knew of no way to deal with life as a sober person. Our natural reaction was to run and hide in a bottle. Take away the bottle and only an Alcoholic can understand the emptiness that we feel in our
soul.
I couldn't function without Alcohol. I was so far out of my element that I had no idea what was up or down.
This is where AA comes into play. This is where we find God and move forward without looking back. This is where we learn to deal with sobriety.
There's a brand new sunrise every morning. Make the best of it!