Notices

I'm Slipping!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Slipping!!!!!!

Wow it happens so fast. I had gone two months without any alcohol and then we went on a holiday and I had a couple of beers, and then a glass of wine with dinner etc. and BANG before I know it I'm back to where I was before I gave up. Not quite as bad, but almost. I can't believe how strong willed I was and my resolve not to drink again was soooooooooooooo strong, and in a blink I'm doing it. I am gutted. I am so disappointed in myself and know that I have undone all the hard work I have done. My husband says I am not an alcolohic. He says I am an alcohol abuser. What is the difference?:praying
Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i really dont think there is a differance.hang in there..pick yourself up and dust yourself off.examine what led you to drink.was it pressure?was everyone else around you?people,places,and things we learn in early recovery have to be changed.attitudes of those around you can influence.i cant be around people that think drinkings no big deal because eventually i will start reverting that way.only it is a big deal for me i know i cant and i know where it leads me.i play the tape all the way threw when urges hit and that usually kills the temptation for me.have you been to any meetings?worked any steps?just a suggestion..
Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

So you screwed up......go from here. Don't put any more alcohol to your lips. It's not the end of the world, just get back on the wagon.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have not undone anything. You’ve learned what not to do. The best day of my life was the last day of the many days I stopped drinking. This can be your last day. Just don’t drink today Jules.

Your in my prayers
Ed
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
God's Kid

AA has a phamplet which includes a
"Are you an alcoholic? - diagnose yourself' type thing.

Alcoholics Anonymous | Is AA for me?

You can find it (and answer in privacy) at the above link.

No prizes for high scores either. Apart from a seat in AA.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You're not slipping...you slipped. It happens. Most of us had at least one slip before we got it right. Your sober time is still there. Just don't pick up again today. Tomorrow, repeat.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From your earlier posts...you are long married to a very
heavy drinking man who denies his drinking is a problem.

I don't wander he is not supporting your efforts
and I certainly see why he has no clue about
the disease of alcoholism....

From my files...

Progression Of Alcoholism
Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.
WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
I knew alcohol was making me unhealthy
and still I drank. Why? because I am an alcoholic.

The quicker you quit...the easier it will be.
Blessings to you and your family
Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you to all who have replied to my post. It is wonderful to have this support. I will get back on track. Bless you all.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julesy View Post
My husband says I am not an alcolohic. He says I am an alcohol abuser. What is the difference?:praying
There is a difference. Given sufficient reason an Alcohol Abuser or hard drinker can control or moderate his/her drinking. This includes, but is not limited to change of jobs, having kids, getting married, graduating from college, Doctors warning, Bosses warning, Wifes warning etc...
An Alcoholic can not in any way shape or form, control or moderate. That, in a nutshell, is the difference.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Okay you fell off the horse, get back on the horse and look at what you were doing to stay on the horse, look at what you were not doing to stay on the horse.

Now pick one thing from what you were not doing to stay on the harse and start doing it.

I feel off the horse so many times that finally the only thing left I had not tried to stay sober was AA.

I tried AA and have been sober and happy for over 2 years now.

Just be willing to do what ever you have to do to stay sober and eventually if you keep trying things you will be able to stay sober.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Julesy,

I did the exact same thing. I had a couple glasses of wine and that was all it took. I have not been drinking to excess, but I just felt so much happier and healthier without it. I am back to Day 1.

Hang in there. We can do this!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
AA has a phamplet which includes a
"Are you an alcoholic? - diagnose yourself' type thing.

Alcoholics Anonymous | Is AA for me?

You can find it (and answer in privacy) at the above link.

No prizes for high scores either. Apart from a seat in AA.
one day jules, just don't drink today.

keep coming back

catch a meeting

put down the bat

@liz

I remember the first time I filled one of those out, I got them all "right" except "have you ever drank while pregnant" I got all up in the councilors face because I thought that question was "unfair to men" and remember shouting at her "I would drink if I was pregnant dammit!!!!

some are sicker then others I guess
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

I slipped sooo many times before I even realized I was an alcoholic. we all do it. we are only human. The biggest accomplishment is when try and succeed day by day.