Notices

Restless, Irritable, and Discontent

Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless, Irritable, and Discontent

I'm 20 months sober and feel as sick as ever. I'm struggling right now in a very huge way and I know if something doesn't change I'm going to end up drinking. Have you ever been in a spot where you know you needed to act or do something but found yourself totally unable to move. Totally unable to act? Just sitting and stewing or just sleeping. I've resorted to other means of escape and that is through sleep. I've lost the passion for recovery. I despise meetings because of the rampid fear of people or anxiety in groups. I feel I can't related to people. The funny thing is. Well I don't know if it's funny or not but I have worked through the steps and believe that I'm not the same person but dammit I think that I am. I'm just not drinking. So doesn't that mean I'm a dry drunk? I don't want to be dry. I want to be happy, joyous, and free but like I said I'm in a spot were I feel unable to act or without power or motivation to act. Just stuck. I feel stuck my head, angry, sad, irritable, restless, tired, impatient, and frustrated. I think I'm going to leave it there and for now go back to the basic and "not drink no matter what". That should work for now.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Good idea to go back to basics - and that includes the programme - meetings, sponsor, stepwork (start the steps again! ) service, higher power...you gotta get out of yourself...I can relate to your me me me post...swhen I am totally focussed on myself then I get just like that...helping someone else helps...(service) relating to others (despite my discomfort/irritation) helps...the program is there for you : grab it, do it. Ask your HP to give you the strength to TAKE ACTION.

Good luck!
Cathy31
x
Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum....

I find prayer helps me immensley
and then I can go find someone else to help.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

I don't think you're having those feelings because you are a "dry drunk" (which I don't believe in btw)...I also don't think you're having those feelings because you're an alcoholic.

I think you're having those feelings because you're a human being and it's perfectly normal for people to have those feelings addict or not.

I know your feeling all too well - paralyzed by emotion - be it anger, anxiety, depression...whatever. I do know that doing it despite my desire to do it helps me tremendously.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

:ghug2Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism forum!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started feeling like you after a few years into recovery.

There were other issues in my life which were not being addressed.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto on all the above, BUT you may need some anxiety or depression meds, go see your Dr it did wonders for me , at one point i felt the same as you described but with meds i am feeling alot better you sound depressed to me (I am no dr though)

Take care,
John
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds like classic depression to me. See a Dr you can relate to and get help NOW. I held out for ages, put on "happy face" and nearly went ga ga. Finally got help and am on anti-depressants and feel like a human again. I am not a user just a "well used" gf of an alcoholic. Depression is for anyone, anytime. That's the curse of it.
Take care of yourself, go for help and God bless you.