Notices

sharing your worst hangovers

Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
I'm not prejudice when it comes to hangovers - I hate them all the same!
DITTO!!!!!!!! The worse were all of them and even more so in the end. No thank you!!! No more!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

thanks guys. all these stories definitely bring back the painful memories of my own extremely uncomfortable hangovers and have reinforced my sober state even more so.

Life definitely feels alot fresher while clean.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Like most of us, can'r really remember one in particular but the memory of feeling so sick I couldn't get out of bed without wanting to vomit, the 'runs', the desperate need to drink gallons of ice cold fizzy drinks, the terrible temper, then the feeling better and looking forward to doing it all over again!!

Were we insane?!

sas
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i was a binger so there were times when i would go way overboard and then pay for it later.

strangely enough three of the worst were the last three times i drank. first two lasted two days, with a few days break in between. the last time I started at about 10am and drank till sometime the next moring, my last memory was throwing up at 2am. That hangover didn't really kick in till about 4pm the next day, not that i left bed for much of that day anyway and was stil there for most of the next day.

Fast forward five weeks and I'm not going back there again.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

never had hang overs feeling lucky in that department
Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

never really had them, but my worst one would definitely be my next one....
I'm doing my best to see I never find out.
D
Old 10-02-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The pain, shame, guilt and remorse of the last bad drunk does not last and is a flimsy shield to protect against the first drink of the next binge. While focusing was somewhat of a reminder, action was necessary immediately if I was to not repeat the failed pattern again. By the way, if I entertain the past, I am open to all of the past, not just what I pick to play with with today.

Pain fades. Guilt hides, shame falls away, the next drink comes quickly and most insidiously. I know, that the last toothache I suffered was horribily painful and yet as horrible as the memory of that pain was, the memory of that pain is insufficent today compared to my love for the consumption of another Reese Cup right now.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

This one section of the BB I can so relate to, I could have written it:

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.

The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?" Only to have that thought supplanted by "Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink." Or "What's the use anyhow?"

When this sort of thinking is fully established in an individual with alcoholic tendencies, he has probably placed himself beyond human aid, and unless locked up, may die or to permanently insane. These stark and ugly facts have been confirmed by legions of alcohoholics throughout history. But for the grace of God, there would have been thousands more convincing demonstrations. So many want to stop but cannot.
The above was me right up until the point I realized I was no longer capable of physically going a full day without drinking, alcohol owned me totally.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

its true recalling hangovers isnt really enough. I still get cravings anyway, and they play on the good times rather than the worst. Although today I found after eating a big healthy meal my cravings shutdown. I dont know if that will always work but at least its another tool in my aresenal.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It is a very good tool! Being too hunger, too anger, too lonely or too tired and all return the mind to the thought of our old solution, booze. You might want a new solution which leads to a new life. The satsifaction of a full stomach does not last and frankly I could never eat enough to stay sober. I needed something greater. I had to be willing. I had to be full of booze. Alcoholics Anonymous has a path any man or woman who suffers as you do, to recover. Thank you for your honesty and sincere desire; you have helped me tremendously today!
Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My worst hang over was probably in college when me and a bunch of sorority sisters snuck into a hotel pool and went skinny dipping drunk. I dove in on the shallow side of the pool and hit my head on the bottom. They had to rush me to the emergency room in my bra and underwear. I was okay but had a huge softball lump on my forehead. Did not feel very good for a few days! The scary thing is that I could have been dead or paralyzed, but of course back then didn't think about stuff like that! AND THEN continued to drink for another 20 years! :wtf2
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Moscow to Boston via London flight. Sat next to John Candy's evil twin from Planes, Trains and Automobiles, landed on a Sunday and no liquor stores were open, had too much anxiety to hit a bar. Thought the KGB was after me. (It was 1999)

In truth worst hangovers were when I stopped having them, I was drunk 24/7.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

100 elephants stomping on my chest...

I really can't define hangovers. I must be a champion of relapses (9 or so this year only) - I've been drinking almost continuously since September 23th, my wife's birthday, I managed to complete a research paper while drunk (which "enhanced" my self-esteem and encouraged me to drink on), I ditched work this week (I work in higher education and have a pretty loose work schedule), and many more. I drank wine mostly and began too feel a taste of yeast in it which gives me a terrible nausea - as a result, I threw up several times after many years. I use to call this state 'zombification', if you allow the term: my mind is clear but my body is completely messed up. My worst symptoms are one hundred elephants stomping on my chest, high blood pressure - which causes anxiety - and the face I see in the mirror. Today at 6pm I have a teacher-parent meeting at my daughter's school and I'm already drunk. Keep your finger crossed for me: some menthol hard candy will do the trick as I'm quite articulate in speech and reasoning, but my glowing red eyes and my bloated face will surely give me away. So, back to Day 1 again... and thanks for your patience and inspirational words.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hang in there Bangoob. You can do it.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Early in my 'drinking' career I suffered hangovers, the kind where I made love to the porcelain goddess, or passed out on the bathroom floor after my intimacy with The Goddess, or keeping one foot on the floor to keep the bed from spinning.

Well, I figured out, I figured out how not to have hangovers, just keep a maintenance dose in my body AT ALL TIMES, lol. I can tell you it worked. I can also tell you that my alcoholism progressed, progressed to the point that I literally died in the ER.

My reminder, was keeping a copy of the page from my medical chart where it showed they were putting the TOD down on the chart when my heart started on it's own.

That piece of paper has worked for this alkie ever since, and that was a LONG TIME AGO. lol

I don't hear it much any more, but years ago, sponsors used to tell their sponsees to write down their last drunk, because if they forget it, they hadn't had it (their last drunk) yet.

Whatever helps, to keep that reminder in the forefront of your brain, can become a great reminder when the Python Of Addiction starts slithering in again and whispering.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-03-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

When I was fifteen I spent the night at my best friend's house when her Dad was out of town. She and I found a bottle of everclear in the kitchen cupboard. We mixed it with Mt. Dew and it took very little until we were both passed out. Woke up the next morning, we were both covered in vomit, it was all over the the floor and the bathroom. To this day I still cant drink Mt. Dew because of that incident but unfortunately I didnt loose the taste for alcohol that night. We were both very lucky that we didnt get alcohol poinsoning.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I drank a 12 of Kokanee to myself, Then went out to the bar, then bought a 26oz of wisers and smashed out a window ended up in jail then sepnt 3 days soboring up in remand in the correctional. WORST HANGOVER
Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

during college i ended up in the hospital 3 times from alcohol poisoning. waking up in the hospital, having no idea what the **** happened, that was the worst. especially the last time. that was the worst feeling ever. yet i kept drinking for a year and a half after that....
Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

I had a few noteworthy hangovers . . . . one of the worst was after a night of bar hopping and partying and drinking gin and tonics. It took me yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars to be able to drink gin again.

Oh yeah . . . and very early in my drinking career, I had such a bad vodka hangover that I NEVER ever could drink vodka again. Just the smell made me sick.