Notices

Desire to Stop

Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Desire to Stop

"Though there is no way of proving it, we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped drinking. But the difficulty is that few alcoholics have enough desire to stop while there is yet time."
Old 09-29-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I didn't stop because "clubbing" was the thing to do and unless you were drinking you were not fun to hang out with.
I chose to stop because the love I have for my children, for the memory of my passed away friends and because I didn't want to go out like that.
I believe we are the legacy we leave behind and I didn't want to be remembered that way.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ever closer...

A desire to stop versus a need to stop! I always knew I was alcoholic but until I reached a point that I was able to admit the unmanagability of my life I had no desire to stop.
Fun how clever those little steps are!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"Though there is no way of proving it, we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped drinking. But the difficulty is that few alcoholics have enough desire to stop while there is yet time."
Rufus I did quit for a year and a half in my mid 20's, I started again because when I quit it was not because my drinking was causing me any serious issues in my life, we had joined a church that frowned on drinking. At that time quitting was no big deal even though I was drinking 4-5 cases a week.

I was amazed at how quickly I got right back to where I was in my drinking when I quit that first time.

That statement holds very true for me, when I finally did have the desire to quit drinking I was physically, mentally, & spiritually incapable of stopping on my own.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never successfully stayed sober until my desire to be sober was stronger than my desire to drink. Now that I'm sober 79 days I'm happier than I was while drinking, and don't want to bring back the misery of my drinking days.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perhaps early in my drinking career I could have stopped ... not sure. In retrospect, I can't imagine my life without having gone through all I did to be where I am. Being an alcoholic has to be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped

I often wonder what it would have been like if I had realized I was a alcoholic
20 years earlier while I was just a 6-pack a day drinker.

I suspect it would have been easier to stop for a few months or even a year but the sad truth is it would have been no easier to stay stopped.

Getting stopped is one thing - staying stopped is a whole new ball game. I probably would have picked up several 1 year tokens but I also would have had just as many relapses.

I have heard it said the "desperation" is a gift. In my case I believe it is true.
Without being completely desperate, I never would have faced my fears and admitted the the truth about my powerlessness.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Gift Of Desperation!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At the time I truly wanted to be an every day drinker it was love at first sight. it just changed on me and didnt do what it used to for me.. I do believe it is a disease that is progressive and i cannot safely return to alcohol.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sober to see the happiness on my husbands face after a long day, and a great dinner cooked.

Sober to hear Mom tell me its good to have me "back"

Sober to wake up at 7:30AM!, not cursing the alcohol demons but praising the beauty of morning when I prepare my doggy's food/ insulin shot (8am, 8pm, gets in the way of an alcoholic!)

Sober to wake in the middle of the night to a sound.. and go right back to sound sleep, and not passed out sleep...

Sober enough to realize that there is so much life beyond the fog.

Blessed be
Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

Wanting to feel fresh and energetic again. Also to put an end to my beer gut and be drunk on vanity instead lol.