Notices

iching

Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

iching

hello all
i had a full liver liver function test and check,including ultrasound just over a year ago, and all was ok. this was all carried out due to stress causing me to get severe pains in my solar plexus.
i have been drinking heavily over the last year, mainly weekends, and have developed itchy skin, mainly scalp and face with some itch on arms.
i dont have any signs of jaundice, feel reasonably energetic, but have dark urine in the morning and not much of an apetite.
do you think ihave anything to worry about ?
cause if theres something to worry about, i will worry.

thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you may be dehydrated.dark urine,dry itchy skin all could be signs.id see a doc just in case.better safe than sorry.goodluck, hope you feel better.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Welcome Alfar .. .. ..

I'm not qualified to give medical advice so I think you should seek the help of your doctor.

If you decide to go, l hope you'll let us know how you make out!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. Please go see a doctor and be completely honest and up front with him. Hide nothing so that he can make a true educated diagnosis. Let us know how things work out.

V
Old 09-27-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

PLease see your doctor. Even if I were a doctor I would never diagnose someone "over the phone", so to speak.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Sounds like you are worried about it so why not go see a doctor? They have seen everything so don't think they will be shocked hey ... better safe than sorry.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for posting!

I think you should pay your Dr. a visit just to be safe.

That being said, how do you feel about your alcohol use? I have heard nasty stories about jaundice, with that in mind, do you think you are drinking too much?

No matter what, the Dr. route is probably a good idea to put your mind at ease. Thanks for posting and welcome.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thx

hello all
thanks for the replies. i meant itching by the way, not the chinese i-ching.
my problem is i worry too much when i['m not feeling 100%
i've had a one sided love afair with booze for a long time, and it hasnt done a lot of good for me.
so here is the diary of a worrier.
i was going through a stressfull and not very pleasant period in a job 18 months ago, and made myself very unwell through stressing. i developed a pain in my solar plexus,which felt that someone was prodding a stick into it. along with high blood pressure and nausea, i convinced myself then, that it was liver disease. after all, i drank like a fish, so it had to be my liver. i ended up on anti depressants. eventually i went for a ultrasound scan on my liver, and everything was ok, along with blood test results. i quit the job, moved out of the area, and strangely, the pain dissapeared completely.
the boozing continued though.
so now a year on, and back in another stressfull job, the itching has started. it isnt constant but comes and goes. so what can it be ? obviously its my liver. it has to be the bile salts building in my skin. but ive no jaundice.
i havent drank now for a couple of weeks, and must admit i've more energy, but i'm still worried to death. sorry for boring you all.

if anyone needs to know more, feel free to ask.

thx
Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find it important to make a list of ALL my health issues to discuss with my dr. periodically...they need to see the whole picture as there can be many reasons for one particular symptom.

I will share that I did have the itchy skin problem when I drank and after I quit for a while....it still comes back occationally. In my case it was due to a number of health issues including my alchoholism.

I have old scars but no new ones...so it is getting better!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

I'd be consultinh with my doctor
just to ease my mind.

Well done on your sober time...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello everyone
thanks for the support
i have a blood test tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

18 days sober
Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You have 2 choices!!!!

Worry your self to death................ or see a doctor!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you are having blood work done tomorrow.

Keep moving on
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 18 days sober! THat's great! Keep it up, one day at a time.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

results

hello everyone
i just had the results from my doctor. the news is my liver function is good, but there is slighlty raised protein (albumin) levels. he told me its nothing to worry about, but wants the blood test repeated in a couple of weeks.
i've had it with the booze now. i dont think i could ever go through that worry again. i had visions of liver disease and saying goodbye to my 2 year old.awful thoughts.
the reason i worry too much is my mother died young from liver cancer, and i know its not a pretty sight.
so, my love of booze is based around this.
when i'm drinking i'm having fun, and relaxing. even when i'm hiding the 6 extra cans in the shed, (i only ever come home with 4) when i'm frying food at 2am , i'm still having fun. when i'm sending emails that are full of crap at 2am, again i'm having fun. when i wake up wide eyed at 7am and go WTF am i doing here on the floor,tv still on, i'm still having fun. when i cant fit into the 40'' jeans, and get out of breath writing emails, having fun.
you all know the rest.
my problem now is not touching a beer again.

thanks for all your advice and support

still itchy though
Old 10-07-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad to hear for now the liver is still fairly healthy, you need to think about doing more then simply not drinking. Perhaps it would help to check out one of the recovery programs out there, they do make a huge difference for folks who work them.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by alfar View Post

my problem now is not touching a beer again.
Sounds like you had a pretty good scare about your health. Now that you have a handle on that issue start working on "not touching a beer again".

Abstinence alone is no program for treating alcoholism (literally it is NO PROGRAM). Now is the time to get a PROGRAM of action.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to know you are heading into a healthy sober future.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

only you can diagnose yourself as an alcoholic there are several tests available maybe on alcoholics anonymous website or at meeting halls they give them out. try taking the quiz ask yourself truthfully how you feel about your drinking and if you feel you cannot stop without help, AA is there to welcome you with open arms. Remember that alcoholism is a disease not a lack of willpower. i am glad y ou feel better and seem willing to give sobriety a chance thanks for posting and keep on that path of recovery!