Notices

I Deserve A Drink

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Deserve A Drink

I cannot believe that I have not picked up a drink. I moved the end of July due to a bed bug problem in my old building. Yes folks bed bugs are real and you can now find them in pricey hotels, college dorms ect.... Anyways I thought I was done with them after throwing out 80% of my belongings. Remarkably I now have been bitten in my new apartment. I told my landlord who became very upset (which I can understand to a point) although he did send out a ex-terminator the next day. I'm so angry & frustrated and feel that I deserve a "couple" (20 beers). I feel like God hates me and that's okay because I'm starting to hate my higher power as well. Anyways, sorry about the rant. Thanks for listening.

tiburon
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tib- haven't you been through enough discomfort? Why add on the pain of a binge? Try to run that footage through your head... all the way through to tomorrow's hangover. Keep posting, we're here for you...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, no, no I'm not picking up but I think it's normal to think of a drink after this nightmare I'm going through.

tiburon
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did you bring the bed bugs to the new building? Or were they already there?

I saw a segment on the Today show about these. They say heat will kill them so all you have to do is gather all your possessions together and heat them up to 200 degrees or something. Now I understand why you got rid of 80% of your stuff.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Maybe your new place had bed bugs before you moved in. They can hide in all sort of cracks and crevices in the walls and whatnot. I personally would have only mentioned the bug problem without explaining the bug problem at my previous residence.

I could give you all sorts of one-liners about why you shouldn't drink, but I'm sure you already know them all. Please try to take it easy and find a way to distract your mind. Keep reading at SR, or play a video game, or watch TV, or read a book, or fix something to eat, or buy a massive can of bug spray (I'm kidding! Bug spray is VERY toxic!), call up a friend, ANYTHING positive.

I was an apartment hopper for a while. One of the last places I lived at had a problem with termites. When they swarmed, it was like they instantly came out of nowhere. Now, I know termites aren't dirty bugs, but they scared the crap out of me. I have a near-phobia when it comes to creepy crawlies.

Off topic, but I noticed that you said you threw out 80% of your belongings. Would home owner's insurance cover that? Obviously the bugs weren't your fault in the first place. Anyways, try to take it easy.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very normal! You sound totally understandably stressed out! Your living situation got disrupted, bedbug bites itch like he11, and now the problem has followed you to a new apartment. I know when I run low on options, getting trashed crosses my mind (or stomps on it).

I have battled fleas before. It's maddening.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It shows huge growth that you came here and vented rather than picking up a drink, Tib. Yeah, it's normal to think of drinking in response to stress. It used to be a natural response for me, and in rare times still is, but thankfully I don't go there often today.

I'm really sorry for the situation you find yourself in - it must be unbelievably frustrating.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow...that's a darn shame ...
I would be freaked too
but you know
a drink is not going to help the problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I told the landlord that I may have brought them in because I wanted it treated right this time. It will cost a lot of money for me but these things are very difficult to treat. I especially don't want to spread them to my neighbors in the building. He mentioned something about splitting the cost of exterminating and thats fine by me.

tiburon
Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

God doesn't hate you. He loves you. He loves bedbugs too. Unfortunatley your paths have crossed.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I have entitlement issues as well. Nothing gets me going more than when something I deem as 'unfair' happens in my life.

These days it doesn't make me feel like drinking but it certainly upsets my emotions and tends to colour other areas of my life. I.e. other things really start to irrate me as well.

I read this thing somewhere that said, once one is resentful about 1 thing, it gets easier and easier to be resentful about other things. It sort of leaks into every area of ones life.

And while this is all good and true if I had fleas in my new apartment, I would probably ensure my landlord gets about as much sleep as me!
:ghug2
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow T....something related came up in a meeting the other day. I realized that I can remember a time when I was 4 or 5 years sober that the thought of drinking when things got bad simply never occured to me...sure it was great...but that isn't where I am today...today it is still on the list of ways to react...it's just that it isn't the FIRST thing on the list...it seems to get farther down the list every day.

I'm sorta with pink on this though I would say it a little different...one of my HPs is the law of cause and effect...it doesn't love me or hate me, it doesn't judge me...it simply is...sorta like the law of relativity or gravity.

I'm in a pretty icky house situation right now...I just keep trying to take the next step toward a solution...sounds like you are doing that and I think it is really great that the landlord is suggesting the possiblity that he/she pay part of the expense. This is a WE world!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think alcohol will get rid of bedbugs.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let me share the fun of living with a bunch of people coming in from the outside of residential treatment to live under one roof...........BED BUGS!!!!!!! For about a month the place tried everything we could with out moving out all of the residents. After that we had the whole place tented and we had to move out for the weekend to get rid of them. Yeah, they are real, they're hard to get rid of and I hope you can get it fixed.

Don't pick up, please don't.........no matter what, no matter what........it's so not worth it. :ghug2