Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Usually moderate drinker suffering from withdrawl??

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. Thanks for all any comments.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling like I was going to die. I was sick all day, not keeping water or food down until 5pm. While thinking about my state, I remember I had been drinking somewhat heavier than I usually do. I started drinking two shots of vodka when I got home from work followed by a glass or two of wine. On Saturday night I had a large amount of Bourbon over a three hour period, of which I threw up after a few hours.

Anyway, I have felt terrible since then. I feel like there is a tight band around my head, slight tunnel vision, slightly dizzy or disconnected from reality, food doesn't go down as easily as usual, and I'm a little jittery... My friend, who is a full blown alcoholic, thinks this is withdrawal. Does this sound right? I drink somewhat regularly but I have never experienced anything like this! I'm kind of nervous. Most weeks I don't drink at all, but some weeks I do a lot. Am I a mild alcoholic??

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mpr

you may be. stop drinking and if you can't there is a good chance you are a alcoholic.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, murphy...welcome to SR.

It could be withdrawal.

Detoxing alone and without medical supervision can be dangerous. Check out the stickies at the top of the Alcoholism forum for more information.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum...

There are different levels of alcoholism
Please read the link below for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Here is the link Bam mentioned on withdrawal
Note that most of us were improved 3 or 4 days
after our last drink...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

If you feel scared or continue to feel weird
I'd suggest an ER or calling your doctor.

Glad you are here with us...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not expert (oh wait maybe I am since I have had many myself!) but to me it sounds like a hangover? I know thats how I felt on Sunday and I am really tired of it. So I am trying to avoid it ever again!

Sounds like maybe you are a binge drinker? I myself am and I do believe a binge drinker can be an alcoholic as I well.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our alcoholism forum!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very helpful. Thanks for the encouragement/information, everyone. Its been a tough couple of days, but I'm feeling better. This morning was really disconcerting.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by mpr View Post
you may be. stop drinking and if you can't there is a good chance you are a alcoholic.
I'd say do this - or have a drink or 3 and then stop abruptly. Promise yourself you'll do this - and then see if you can after drink # 3. These are good tests to check whether you are alcoholic.

There is no such thing as mildly alcoholic. An alcoholic cannot (amongst other things) guarantee the outcome of their behaviour once he/she has the first drink...whether that's daily or monthly...you can't be that mildly. You either are or you aren't.

Good luck - keep reading - alcoholism is the only disease that requires you to self diagnosis - its also the only disease that tells you you don't have it!

Cathy31
x
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

First things first, only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not. Alcoholics are like snowflakes, each one is unique, even though they are all ice crystals.

In a nutshell how much, how often or how long one has drank is not a true determing factor if one is an alcoholic or not, it is what happens to one when they drink that determines that.

A person can develop a physical addiction to alcohol by drinking heavily for a while and not be an alcoholic, a person can drink heavily only once a month and not be an alcoholic.

One of the ways that may help you decide if you are or not would be to not drink for a month. If you do this easily and can honestly say you could care less if you drank or not then it is unlikely you are an alcoholic.

If you are still not sure then try this; pick a day of the week, after having not drank a month, have 2 drinks and drink no more, can you do this easily without having to really fight the urge for "Just one more drink" you probably are not an alcoholic. Do the same thing the following week after not drinking any since that last day, how did it go.

I am an alcoholic and I can honestly tell you that once I put a drink in me I have no idea if it will just be that one or if I will drink 10 or more. When I was drinking I never knew how much I was going to drink or what the results were going to be when I drank every time.

I have never left a half empty drink sitting on a table.......... unless I feel asleep or passed out.

Keep in mind alcholism is a progressive disease, perhaps this test will give you some insight Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome I am new here as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome to SR, ramurphy & back2theliving!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, ramurphy & back2theliving:ghug2
Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello Ramurphy,

First I don’t even like to use the word “Alcoholic” it is drastically overused and completely undefined. As Tazman said “Alcoholics are like snowflakes”

Instead ask yourself this “Is alcohol causing me problems in my life?” If you answer yes, then stop, by yourself, get help, whatever it takes.

I meet people in the treatment centre I work for that drink once a month and have a serious alcohol misuse problem. I also meet people that drink most everyday and don’t really have any issues with it.

Drug and alcohol abuse has physical and psychological components, the physical is by far the easiest to deal with by the way.

But your looking for some kind of test, I wish it was so easy but Tazman’s sounded pretty good don’t drink for a month then only have a couple.

One other note though the quantity of alcohol you are drinking, alcoholic or not, can have serious affects on your health.

All the best

Wade

P.S. I forgot to add, yes it probably is withdrawal symptoms most people after drinking heavily for even a week or so will go through some form of physical withdrawal when they stop drinking