Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can anti-depressants exacerbate the desire for alcohol?

Notices

Can anti-depressants exacerbate the desire for alcohol?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm an recovered alcoholic....who
has no family history of abuse or alcoholism or drug use.
I've never taken a SSRI nor considered I need to.
I have not seen nor do I need to
see a psychologist. ..since I quit drinking.

Here is my solution to my alcoholism

First...I had to want to quit more than I wanted to drink

If a person is not to that point
absoltely nothing will keep them sober...JMO
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

A wholesale comdenation of all medications just because of the greed of the pharmaceutical industries is IMHO not correct as there are many medications that have saved lives and do help many people. No industry is without its faults. Some bigger than others. The diabetic who needs insulin to live is one example. Another is myself without my SSRI to relieve my chemical depression I would be dead.

Carol hit the nail on the head regarding SSRI's and alcoholism.....One has to want to stop drinking more than they want to drink.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
A wholesale comdenation of all medications just because of the greed of the pharmaceutical industries is IMHO not correct as there are many medications that have saved lives and do help many people. No industry is without its faults. Some bigger than others. The diabetic who needs insulin to live is one example. Another is myself without my SSRI to relieve my chemical depression I would be dead.

Carol hit the nail on the head regarding SSRI's and alcoholism.....One has to want to stop drinking more than they want to drink.
I don't see where I condemned the world of medications - can you help me out? In fact, I believe I gave them quite a bit more credit than they truly deserve.

I think because you are taking SSRIs and they helped you, they are making it more difficult for you to see how they didn't help and in fact hurt me.

Don't let me convince you that you shouldn't be on any medication, but I firmly believe that we don't need half of the medications out there.

There are too many "me too drugs." How many classes of antibiotics do we need vs. how many we want?

How many diabetic medications do we need vs. how many we want?

When does the public have a say? - only when we question our physician's actions and become motivated ourselves.

This is coming from someone that used to work for Big Pharma - I used to defend, "How can Mildred complain about the price of a medication we came up with - if she doesn't want it, she shouldn't buy it."

The problem isn't the R&D of the industry, it's the FOCUS of the industry. If "me too" products are allowed on the market despite safer and more clinically tested drugs - there is NO other reason to bring them to market, save one...single...reason...

PROFIT.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
I don't see where I condemned the world of medications - can you help me out? In fact, I believe I gave them quite a bit more credit than they truly deserve.

I think because you are taking SSRIs and they helped you, they are making it more difficult for you to see how they didn't help and in fact hurt me.

Don't let me convince you that you shouldn't be on any medication, but I firmly believe that we don't need half of the medications out there.

I am sorry you took my post personally. It was not aimed at anyone including you. I was simply a statement.

To clarify this paragraph is directed to you. My taking or not taking SSRI's has nothing to do with my ability to see or not see that you feel medications hurt you. You are free not to take them. You are free to believe that they are evil. It really does not matter to me personally as it isn't going to change my beliefs or change my life. SSRI's have helped many people including myself. That includes people fighting with alcoholism. It is unfortunate that they were not able to help you. Hopefully you are working on the issues that led you to take them in the first place and finding the help you need. By the way I have spent over 20 years working in the medical industry so I am fully aware of the amount of medications out there and the fact that many are abused, misused, and overprescribed. But that does not make me discount the need for them.

The title to your thread related to SSRI's exacerbating the desire for alcohol. It seems this thread has gone a bit astray from that topic. If I contributed to that I appologize. So back to the topic.....No SSRI's have not exacerbated my desire to drink. I deal with the drinking problem using a program of recovery that deal with the drink issue and relieved me of the obsession to drink. For me my drinking and my chemical depression are two different things.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an intelligent rational analytical man. I'll argue how many angels are on the head of a pin.

Fact is - drinking like I did will kill me. Endlessly, analysing the why and wherefores stopped me from acting for years.

It's not necessary to understand to act. The how and why is not important - not right now.
You'll have years to look at that retrospectively, if you wish.

Act - Quit drinking. What method you use is up to you. You''re not locked into anything.Try as many as you need.

If you're convinced this is a reactive thing, one of the first steps would be to discuss your SSRI hypothesis with a doctor at the earliest opportunity.

D
Old 09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm an intelligent rational analytical man. I'll argue how many angels are on the head of a pin.
DancingGirl beat you to the simplicity punch and she was right - that should be my main focus.

Thing is...when I see people proclaim intelligence...rational/analytical ability I grow skeptical. I'm glad you've found your confidence, but confidence doesn't need to be explained.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was simply sharing my experience - I lost a lot of years analysing when I should have been simply doing.

I was suggesting I knew what it's like to want answers, but that sometimes answers must take second place to the need for action.

Obviously I illustrated my point clumsily. I'm sorry if my attempt at context led you to believe I was trying bolster my argument with claims to intelligence - that was not the case. Ask anybody LOL

Best of luck in whatever action you decide to take,
D
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Actually Dee, I was in the wrong - I had no business saying that. My frustration with my self obviously came through...

Anyway I slice it, alcohol is just bad news for me.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Veritas--

I can relate to what you are saying.

I have only been drinking for about 2 years (as I'm 19 years old), and it's clear to me I've been unable to control how much I drink and I get cravings etc. that make me worry. Thing is, the whole time I've been drinking I've been on SSRIs.

Now, seeing studies that link alcohol cravings and SSRIs make me doubt if I really am an alcoholic. On the one hand, I do have the family history and the personal setup (mental health issues). But how can I know it's not caused by SSRIs? How can I commit to giving up drinking forever if when I'm ready to go off of SSRIs (which are currently helping me) I might just return to normal drinking patterns? And would stopping drinking be easier if I get off these SSRIs that are helping me?

So many questions in my mind, in addition to the normal ones a person has when considering giving up drinking forever. I don't really know where to go from here.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

For my 2 cents,

My alcoholic mind led me to ignore the warning label on my anti depressant bottles that read "do not consume with alcohol."

I think for me I may have drank more because the drinking (alcohol is a depressant) countered the effect of the anti depressant. Being smarter than my Dr., i decided to self medicate with more alcohol instead of become sober to allow the anti depressants to work.

I would talk to your Dr. about the effects of alcohol while on anti depressants.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone....
A reply was removed for an improper link.

Sooo...other members replies that discussed
the link were also removed.

Some of our newer members may not have
read our SR Policy carefully...witch is a good
idea before posting links of any kind.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi Everyone....
A reply was removed for an improper link.

Sooo...other members replies that discussed
the link were also removed.

Some of our newer members may not have
read our SR Policy carefully...witch is a good
idea before posting links of any kind.

Thanks
Carol you are more than fair.

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Tennis... lol... I don't think I paid attention to any medication warnings like that! When I saw "do not drink alcohol while taking this medication" I generally thought- woohoo- more bang for my alcohol buck!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

SS: probably off topic...but that's hilarious!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Tennis... lol... I don't think I paid attention to any medication warnings like that! When I saw "do not drink alcohol while taking this medication" I generally thought- woohoo- more bang for my alcohol buck!
My ex-gf's previous bf would stop taking his SSRI so that he could drink more...oh the mind of the alcoholic is something to behold. (Then the poor girl started dating me - she couldn't win!)

DancingGirl,
No worries about off topic - nothing wrong with having a few laughs along with the information!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I was drinking a lot. Then I was put on SSRI's and carried on drinking a lot. 14 days ago I stopped drinking and I am still on SSRI's but have not really had that many cravings for alcohol. But that's me and my brain chemistry. We're all different and I can see why you have made this connection.

I live in the UK and because we have a government funded healthservice that is in debt up to it's eyeballs, getting drugs out of doctors is like pulling teeth (at my surgery anyway). So I am fairly confident they are what I need, and I really feel like the are stopping me plummeting to the depths since getting sober.

Is it worth getting off SSRI's under supervision. If your depression does not return (it sounds situational, not chemical) and your cravings for alcohol disappear, bingo! I do know you should not stop them suddenly.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Never taken an SSRI in my life. I got here on my own. Call me a problem drinker, call me an alcoholic, call me a pink flamingo, call me a polka dotted power ranger.. I don't care. Drinking was worse for me than not drinking at all. Period. Isn't that kinda the point?