Notices

withdrawls

Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawls

I am trying to quit drinking but I am having a hard time with it. I just went to the doctor to get blood tests and make sure that my drinking has not already damaged my body beyond repair. My doctor gave me Prevacid for some stomach issues I have been Having. Does anyone know if it is safe to take it when I have been drinking? I am really trying to stop but I am having problems with the withdrawls so I am trying to wean myself off. Any one have any opinions? I would hate to do more damage when I ma trying to correct already done damage.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We are not doctors and have no idea how your body
is or how any medication will hinder or help.

I strongly suggest calling the doctor back
and be honest with the fact you are tapering from alcohol.

Members can not take responsibility
for giving medical or prescription advice.
Sorry....it's against SR Policy
as we are here to offer peer support only.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Weaning yourself off alcohol gradually can be done - but it didn't work for me cause I'd always end up drinking too much. I would urge you to call your doctor again and be totally honest about what you're trying to do. It's good to have medical supervision when detoxing anyway.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I would hate to do more damage when I ma trying to correct already done damage."

If you are sincere in that statement you won't drink anymore. At all.

Otherwise, ask if you are lying to yourself?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you called a local detox center? I know we have them here locally. Three that I know right off the top of my head that if you don't have the finances to pay for it, they will not turn you away and you will not receive a bill. I stayed for over 50 days at one while waiting for residential treatment and I am so grateful the service was there for me.

There are options. Try making some phone calls. There have to be listings in your phone book for addiction that can get you started.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

Yes. Check with your doctor or you might be able to find an answer about Prevacid online rather easily.

Withdrawal is hard, but does go away. Unless you've reason to think you're at risk of stopping now, which is not a fear to take lightly, then you might consider that fixing your stomach is worth a few days of misery in the long run.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's very hard to wean yourself off alcohol if you are in active alcoholism. Like others have said, check with your doctor and be honest about your the amount you are drinking. If you are serious about quitting and are not able to do an inpatient detox s/he may be able to prescribe a few days worth of medication to better ease you through the physical withdrawal symptoms.

Is this your first time trying to quit? If so, it can be tough going it alone. Check the phone book or online to see why kind of support meetings are in your area AA, SOS, Smart Recovery are some that may have live meetings in your area. You can also do online chat and online meetings to seek support to help you through. Don't be afraid to ask for help.