Notices

Tingling feet

Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tingling feet

Has anybody ever got this tingling sensation in their feet after they quit drinking? I have read that alcohol can cause it but I went to the docs yesterday to get it checked out, he said he had never heard of it and didn't think it was anything to worry about.

It is sooooo annoying though, it's a consatnt tingling/buzzing feeling in my feet, it's driving me nuts lol

Did anybody else get this? Will it go away?

Sax
Old 07-17-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never heard of it myself...good to see you back tho, and great to hear you quit
Sax

D
Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try elevating them allowing the blood flow to leave your feet. I know after 8 house of ballet my feet would ache and I would lie on my back and place my feet at a 90 degree angle to find relief.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I had it while I was drinking, alcoholic nueropathy...

It took a few months to go away after I stopped drinking. But if yours started after you quit, beats the heck out of me.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always got that when I was detoxing myself, or when I was really hungover/between drinks on a bender. I would get it in my hands too. Also, a hot shower would make my body very itchy.

I never really found much about it online, but it did go away. Hope yours does too, but if it does'nt, I'd see another doctor or research it more yourself.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Sax,

I had the same thing as well as a tingling in my arms on and off. Exercise and time, about 3 months in my case, and it went away. I took a long walk every night after I quit the booze and the exercise along with a good sensible diet seemed to take care of the problem.

Since you have already seen a doctor I think time and exercise will be your best approach. Oh yeah, may be a good idea to NOT drink alcohol as well!

Good luck and keep coming back no matter what,

Jon
  # 7 (permalink)  

Could be a circulation problem but I am just guessing.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
I had it while I was drinking, alcoholic nueropathy...

It took a few months to go away after I stopped drinking. But if yours started after you quit, beats the heck out of me.

Well to be honest, I did kinda notice it when I was drinking, but after a few more drinks it went away or I just didn't notice it anymore. Now I have been sober for a couple of weeks I just seem to notice it all the time, unless I am really busy.

Hopefully it will go away like yours did.

I do notice it very very slightly in my hands too but nothing compared to my feet. Not planning on drinking so hopefully a few months and a bit of exercise and it'll have gone too.

Thanks everyone, feel a bit better about it now, was worring me slightly even though the doc didn't seem to think it was a problem.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is how I see it...
I'd be dead by now if I had not quit drinking.

Certainly...I have acquired several chronic health issues
by living these extra 20 years.

It's my experience and observation that we
simply wear our bodies out as we age.

I keep my doctors informed...do as directed
and continue to enjoy old age and recovery.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Do a google search on Alcoholic Neuropathy.

Then print out what you find and take it to your doctor.

We are not Doctors.

I can tell you I had that when i got sober. As I stayed sober it went away, only to return much worse many years later.

It is caused by the alcohol buring off the 'coverings' on the nerve endings, and the nerves start sending erroneous messages.

Or, find a different doctor who "knows" and "understands' the ramifications of alcoholism.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

Originally Posted by Saxony View Post
Has anybody ever got this tingling sensation in their feet after they quit drinking? I have read that alcohol can cause it but I went to the docs yesterday to get it checked out, he said he had never heard of it and didn't think it was anything to worry about.

It is sooooo annoying though, it's a consatnt tingling/buzzing feeling in my feet, it's driving me nuts lol

Did anybody else get this? Will it go away?

Sax
You might be diabetic. I'd check into it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had this too and was diagnosed with alcoholic neuropathy. It went away with sobreity and excersize.

I have an old drinking buddy whose neuropathy was too far gone and it is NOT going away. He can barely walk. All that over booze!

You should see your Dr. regardless.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have an old drinking buddy whose neuropathy was too far gone and it is NOT going away. He can barely walk. All that over booze!
I know this one personally very well and I have over 27 years sober and clean. There are days when it is so bad that I cannot walk, there are days when i fall and there are good days when I can walk but the PAIN even with medication can still hit unannounced and take my breath away.

See your Doctor. Stop drinking now.

You might be diabetic. I'd check into it.
Yes talk to your Dr also about this, and asked to be checked for diabetes and/or hypoglycemia, but diabetic neuropathy is usually peripheral neuropathy (yes, being diabetic, I have this also) and is different than what was described here.

J M H O

Love and hugs,