Notices

Trouble stopping

Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trouble stopping

My question is in regards to overindulgence once I have started drinking. Once I have had several drinks I am usually incapable of stopping myself until I have fallen asleep, passed out, or gorged myself on Taco Bell. I greatly enjoy the social aspect of moderately consuming and I also feel that I am a bit of a connoisseur of quality beverages.

Is overindulgence a type of physical need for alcohol once it is in the system? Can I successfully train myself to stop drinking after two or three drinks or must I give up alcohol completely to rid myself of the problem? Is there anyone else that had the same problem that was been able to convert themselves into someone that can enjoy alcohol without over-consuming?

I am still quite young and I would like to nail this before it becomes something bigger. I feel that maybe if I try to have one or two drinks now and again I may be able to get over the feeling that I need to keep drinking once I have started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marvie3 View Post
My question is in regards to overindulgence once I have started drinking. Once I have had several drinks I am usually incapable of stopping myself until I have fallen asleep, passed out, or gorged myself on Taco Bell. I greatly enjoy the social aspect of moderately consuming and I also feel that I am a bit of a connoisseur of quality beverages.

Is overindulgence a type of physical need for alcohol once it is in the system? Can I successfully train myself to stop drinking after two or three drinks or must I give up alcohol completely to rid myself of the problem? Is there anyone else that had the same problem that was been able to convert themselves into someone that can enjoy alcohol without over-consuming?

I am still quite young and I would like to nail this before it becomes something bigger. I feel that maybe if I try to have one or two drinks now and again I may be able to get over the feeling that I need to keep drinking once I have started. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same drinking habits as you to the tee. Right down to the late night fast food binges(many times during a blackout). I can't train myself. Been trying for years and it's just not happening. People like me have an allergy to alcohol which makes my body incapable of stopping once I have that first drink.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ruch View Post
I have the same drinking habits as you to the tee. Right down to the late night fast food binges(many times during a blackout). I can't train myself. Been trying for years and it's just not happening. People like me have an allergy to alcohol which makes my body incapable of stopping once I have that first drink.
Does the allergy have a specific name? Is it a recognized allergy that can be treated with medication or is it something that I must deal with by never consuming alcohol?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The allergy is called alcoholism. We can't tell you if you are an alcoholic, but from what you've described, it sounds to me like you could have a drinking problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree that I do have a drinking problem. Luckily it does not control my actions (except when I am drinking) nor has it extended into my daily life. But, my question hasn't been addressed. Will I be able to enjoy alcohol without over-doing it or must I give it up for good? If it is the latter I am willing and completely able to abstain from drinking at all. My specific problem appears after I have had several drinks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I personally do not know any true alcoholic who has learned to moderate.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I did try to do the one or two drinks thing, it hurt like hell cause my head couldn't think about anything else but having another one. I have found it much easier to not drink, takes a bit of adjustment but works for me.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds like me, except for the Taco Bell. You don't have to be drinking out of a paper bag to have a drinking problem. I have a corporate job and an expense account. I have drunk $20,000 bottles of champagne in expensive bars and $5 bottles of wine at home on my own. I still can't stop once I start regardless.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome to SR!

Please read this link....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I can't say what you will or will not be able to do
It's impossible to give you a absolute yes or no.
Try no drinking at all for 3 months
and see what happens.

Make a list of your goals....fconsider
if alcohol will add orr detract from your plans.

Good to see a new member..
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback and the links. I am going to try and do a lot more research to determine whether I should quit for good or try to drink in moderation. I will report back as to whether I am successful. Glad I found these forums in time!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You will most likely attempt 'controlled' drinking until you intelligently realize it cannot be accomplished, or you will likely undergo a series of 'negative consequences' and unintelligently realize controlled drinking cannot be accomplished.

Know this though: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Best wishes, and I sincerely hope you learn sooner than later that controlled drinking is a losing prospect.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Marvie3
You have some good questions, and this is a good place to ask them. Many of us find that we need to really try some controlled drinking before we decide to quit altogether. For me, it was a part of my journey to attempt forced moderation.

What I learned is that when I control my drinking, I don't enjoy it as much as I do when I don't control it. This led me to the question: Why bother?

At that point in my life, I'd been abusing alcohol so long and hard that I was wrapped tightly in the bounds of a serious addicition. I hope you can find some answers that work for you while you are young.

One thing that cannot be disputed: Alcoholism is progressive, and it ALWAYS gets worse with time if it is untreated. Another absolute truth is: You can't have an alcohol problem if you don't drink.
wishing you the best,
chip
Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

read the book,Alcoholics Anonymous online and it wil guide you to find out for yourself if you are a alcoholic or not
Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I was able to stop myself after 5 beers tonight. Quite the improvement over the 12-15 I will usually consume during one night. It was tough, I realize not drinking at all would have been much easier. At this point the feeling that I get after being able to stop myself is a far greater reward.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
God's Kid

The Big Book says

If you are an alcoholic, the authors doubt you will be able to stay sober for up to a year.

It also suggests just what you're trying to do at the moment. Have a few drinks then STOP. Then on another night/day have another few drinks then STOP. It suggests one should repeat this for awhile as any alcoholic should be able to decide for themselves whether they are alcoholic or not, following this kind of attempt.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Wink

I am going to try and do a lot more research to determine whether I should quit for good or try to drink in moderation.
Be careful, my "research" landed me in detox a few years ago. Since then, I let others do the research.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

marv, welcome...

marv
Luckily it does not control my actions (except when I am drinking)
if you are alcoholic, just give that time...

hope ya aint one of us!

and if you are, we have a solution...

a load of um!

good wishes marv...

rz
Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah I need someone to hit my over the head right now. I went out to happy hour after work. Had two 25oz beers and it has been hell for me not to run to the fridge to grab another beer. I feel good about not getting one, small steps I guess. I just hate having this problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

keep coming back it works if you work it
Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've tried, and failed, to moderate my drinking. I always drink more than I intended to drink. So for me, I had to give it up completely. Best that I give it up completely anyway, as it was creating a lot of trouble for me, in lots of ways.