Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Any of you had any probs going to sporting events and stuff without drinking?

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i usually get loaded at sports games i gotta few coming up in the next few weeks,

im still trying to quit drinking lol going on like 2 years of trying to quit and im at day two and allready all i can think about today is alcohol
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

stay sober one day at a time. then, when it's sporting event day, it loses its power. it becomes just another day, a day that you stay sober. cause see, i'm sober today. i was sober yesterday, but tomorrow? well, ask me tomorrow if i'm sober.

are you hitting meetings or anything? they help, a LOT.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I've gone to a few baseball and hockey games since getting sober, and while the beer can certainly be a trigger I have more fun and enjoy the game with a bag of peanuts and a soft drink. It's definitely a lot cheaper too!

Welcome to SR, glad you're here.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i don't go to AA don't really plan on it either (i know i should probally)

but about the now thing, the first baseball game is this weekend lol but ive heard the one day at a time thing and plan to think like that
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

This was a huge issue for me - football, hockey, concerts. For the past 25 years, an "excuse" to get completely hammered. It was really tough the first few times. I actually caved in several times during previous sobriety attempts.

The advice you may not want to hear is don't go. Sobriety is way too precious - way more important than a game. Maybe once you have built up more strength & have developed some tools.

If you do go, attend with non-drinkers, grab a non-alcoholic drink the second you walk through the gate. Also, accept that most people attend these events to spend time with friends, enjoy the excitement, the athleticism - not to get drunk. "You are not the life of the party" - stole that line from my wife.

I am almost 6 months sober, am working hard at my recovery program (AA), and have made it through these situations in the past (I'm used to it). I went to a major rock concert last night. I would guess that maybe 40% were drinking alcohol and 10% were getting drunk. I only saw maybe 10 people completely out of it (not a pretty site - there but by the grace of God go I). Despite being in this environment, I had zero desire to drink, zero obsession. I enjoyed time with my friends, the music/musicianship was incredible, one of the best stage shows I have ever seen. Now, had I been drinking...
Old 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

think of it this way. you wont be missing any of the game by going to the bathroom a bunch of times
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I went to a ball game not long ago--but we were allowed to bring in drinks from the outside...I had plenty of soda handy--no problem with wanting to drink. However--I went to a concert recently--but I went alone (so maybe that had something to do with it)...felt nervous/anxious seeing alot of people drinking around me..but I did make it through without drinking. I am also in a 12 step program and did call my sponsor before going inside to see the show which I do believe also helped.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been sober two years and have only attended one sporting event. It's not that I don't like sports or are afraid I will want to drink, I just honestly don't want to spend money to go to them.

The one sporting event I did go to a few months ago was a great time. I went with a fellow member of AA, and the team I went to see, (The Cincinnati Cyclones), won the Kelly Cup ECHL championship recently.

Perhaps if I go to one game of every professional team they will win the championship...lol.

Naa. I'm not that important

Tom
Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety....I did not go to places
that reminded me of past drinking episodes.

I did not go to bars...nightclubs...stayed away
from our rooftop pool ..throwing darts...parties.

I did go places without memories of drinking
race tracks...movies...museums...play ...concerts....hunting...flying.

One big plus about sobriety is learning new things to enjoy.

Glad to see you again!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by fordman_mustang View Post
i don't go to AA don't really plan on it either (i know i should probally)
As long as you are staying sober your way then meetings might not be necessary. They will be there if your way doesn't work though.

Sporting events? Personally I usually attend them with people I meet in recovery, that way we each keep each other on an even keel.

Keep coming back...!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never drank at Sporting Events. As much as I liked to drink I still had my principles. I refuse to let someone gouge me for a drink, regardless of how bad I wanted it.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I didn't go to sporting events when drinking. It was much easier to fill up the cooler, put it next to the recliner, put some munchies out, relax and watch it on tv. No driving, no paying exhobent prices for the alcohol, and no having to deal with other people.

Ironically, in sobriety I have gone to many sporting events. I don't even thing about drinking. We have a minor leage hockey and baseball team here that I enjoy watching. Can't get into the pro basketball thing though. I got disgusted with our team a few years ago when they should have been named the jailblazers.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For many years when I went to sporting events if coolers were allowed I lugged in the biggest cooler allowed full of beer, if no coolers were allowed a couple of pints (plastic) fit very well into clothing.

I was about 3 months sober working AA when I went to my first sporting event (Redsking Game) since I quit. I learned a lot of interesting things, I learned:

1. The soda line is actually longer then the beer line!

2. Most of the people there did NOT drink booze.

3. The stadium although fairly new stunk of spilled stale beer!

4. I was able to follow the entire game!

5. I remembered the 4th quarter as vividly as the 1st.

I was not even tempted to drink, I enjoyed my coffee and hot chocolate and I enjoyed the game, I did see a few guys drunk on thier butts, I suddenly saw myself!!! Not real pretty.

If AA is not your bag, try other programs, heck you could work the SMART program and go to AA meetings simply for moral support and to see if you like it.

I promise you do not need to do the bloody chicken cult dance until the third meeting!!!

Oh yea and they don't make you bring Rosaries any more either, the athiest said they made them nervous!!! LOL
Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Im a season ticket holder for our NHL team, not a problem for me. However, I get jacked up on Redbull.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are still trying to get sober. Once I started working the steps as they are outlined in the Big Book I found that I could go anywhere and do anything without alcohol being an issue.