Notices

Bit the bullet - my 1st AA Meeting

Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bit the bullet - my 1st AA Meeting

Today would have been my 10th sober day but I mucked it up by having a glass of wine before work on Monday (Why? Why the hell not, you know? Although afterwards I was so guilty and disgusted in myself it wasnt even funny) AND then my husband found out about it and confronted me. This only 8 days after promising him I will do better.. *sigh* Well, I didnt deny it (I think he was expecting me to lie) and the first thing I did when I got home from work yesterday was look up the AA list that one of you kind souls looked up in answer to my first post and then... I WENT TO MY FIRST MEETING!!

It was a very small group of women (5 of us) which was great for a first timer such as moi and I even spoke! The relief though, of being able to own up to myself and to others was super-great. I left that meeting last night feeling more centred than I have in days. Then I went for a fruit juice with the girl who took me there and met her fiance who is also in the program. (Maybe this will do for the awful loneliness that I've experienced here...)

Anyhoo, just an update, and I am hoping to make it tonight's meeting as well.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Great! I am so happy for you! Plus, sharing at your first meeting--Wow! Sounds like a good group/good meeting! Fantastic!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Nicole!!

Just keep going to meetings and you're probably right. Meeting a friend from the program as a result can make a huge difference in relieving lonliness.

There is no failure when you are trying.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Nicole = how wonderful anV good for you!!! AA is not only an amazing program that teaches us to live and be happy anV forgive and love ourselves - it's a great way to meet sober new friends - it's my birthVay today - belly button - and half the people at my party are aa people - only friends for a year or so and already the best friends I ever had!!! Well done - keep coming back!!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job Nicole. It is so nice to good the hope in your post after the despair of a few days ago. hang in there!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Nicole I am so glad you found a friend already in AA and found a degree of freeedom in your first meeting. Keep going back to meetings and not drinking, things will get better. Not all AA meetings may be to your liking, I am not sure how many meetings are available to choose from in your area, but you should be able to find a core group of meetings you like.

Sober friends which are very easy to make in AA are a huge help.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks foor sharing your progres....
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Nicole,
Good to hear back from you. I've been wondering how you were getting on there in Dubai. Glad you found a "survival group"!
I'm on 2 months now this weekend. It's GREAT! Sleeping like a baby is one of the biggest rewards for me.
Take care, keep us posted from time to time.
Paul
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ever closer...

So glad that you went to a meeting. It is a huge step in a great direction. It is amazing how scarey goingto an AA meeting can be. For me it felt that once I finally went to a meeting there was no more kidding myself about my alcoholism. Before I went I could just keep telling myself that I could control my drinking!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good For YOU !
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

That is too cool. Thats it! I am finding one by me.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just an update..

Thanks peeps. Went to my 2nd one last night. Everyone I've met has just been so supportive! There are FOUR different meeting locations plus a meeting EVERY night in Dubai. Amazing. Who knew? I have drawn up a schedule and am gonna try get to 6 meetings per week. I wont manage 90 in 90 days, but I'll get close enough.

Thanks for all your help and support. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't beat yourself up too bad for slipping after your sober time. I did also, last weekend, and now am climbing out of the hole I fell into. I hope this is my last relapse. I too find meetings to be very helpful. I am too sick today to go to any meetings but after I start feeling human again I will go to my home group and ask for their prayers for strength after my slip.

together we can do this.:ghug3
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I wont manage 90 in 90 days
If you are staying sober you are going to enough meetings!!!

Just keep in mind that for some folks meetings alone can turn the trick, for me it took the whole program to do it, sponsor, steps, service work, and meetings.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been fiding going to different meetings in different areas is a help. I have been to four different meetings places around me. Two I liked, one is Ok, one I will not return. I think the variety of meeting new people and hearing new things, in new venues is a help.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nicole,

Way to go and congrats on attending your first meeting! I'm glad that it was a positive experience for you. Keep coming back!!

John