Notices

It's getting better!!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's getting better!!

Day 22 here. I seemed to have turned a corner, somehow...things are getting a little better here. Not so anxious and depressed, and sleep, though still pretty bad, seems a bit better too.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a hard time deciding if this hell was worth it... 'feeling so bad, I may as well drink'. But I didn't, despite the cravings...I am taking some supplements to help, and I think they do. I am now starting to experience the benefits of not drinking...enough to know for sure that quitting the alcohol-hell is definitely the right decision. I've been reading how the body is a marvelous machine, and how the brain can repair itself, once alcohol is removed. It is encouraging.

I read online from a few people on other boards that they felt better at the 3 or 4 week mark...it seems to be true for me as well. Mind you, I'm far from all the way there...battling cravings can be tough, especially at certain times of the day, but I see from others that this may diminish, even disappear, in time.

Thanks to all on this board...I am new here, and you have made a difference in my life.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR joelle, glad you're here and congrats on your sober time. Your post made me think of some simple recovery wisdom.

"My worst day sober is still better than my best day drinking."

"There's nothing that bad in my life that taking a drink would improve."

After a few years of sobriety I still have the occassional craving, and life still has it's ups and downs. Body and brain are still undergoing changes, that's something I'll work on for the rest of my life.

But life is good. Recovery really does work. I'm happy to hear things are getting better for you, and hope they continue to improve.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time...

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey joelle, welcome to SR. Way to go on 22 days, that's awsome. Glad to hear things are getting better. It will continue to improve with time. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Welcome Joelle, and congrats on your sober time. Things really do get better with time, and the cravings do eventually go away. Hang in there.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Want to say Hi and welcome.

So glad you decided to join us here. It does get better with time.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I feel the collective wisdom of the group...so many here that have gone down the same path that I am facing now, and are better for it. It can be done. It is true that life does continue to have its ups and downs, and that quitting alcohol does not mean all life problems are solved forever. But I find that I am already facing challenges somewhat better. At least I am no longer making problems worse, and that is a big thing.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by joelle View Post
It can be done. It is true that life does continue to have its ups and downs, and that quitting alcohol does not mean all life problems are solved forever. But I find that I am already facing challenges somewhat better. At least I am no longer making problems worse, and that is a big thing.
I love that. True words.

I am 5 1/2 months sober and I face the world and my life with much more acceptance and gratitude. I just keep on trying to do the next right thing. And it still keeps getting better.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I face the world and my life with much more acceptance and gratitude.
Acceptance and gratitude. Bingo, gravity. I am finding gratitude a big help...there is always so much to be thankful for.

Acceptance, well, that is always a struggle for me, a control freak. I know it is a path towards freedom, trying to find my way there. Seems silly to struggle with what is true or inevitable, but I do anyway.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

22 days is awesome joelle, it does get better as long as we keep working on our selfs, for me change was key, things do get easier with time, and knowing that it is not all going to be a bed of roses is important. Things get better, but they do not get perfect!!LOL