Notices

Long-term Physical Effects: Memory

Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long-term Physical Effects: Memory

Are there long-term effects from excessive drinking - mainly memory issues?

I was seeing someone who was an alcoholic, his father was as well. He drank and used cocaine (not sure how much cocaine, mainly drinking) until the age of 25 and has now been sober for 15 years.

I understand people can be scatterbrained/forgetful, but I was wondering if there are any long-term effects from numerous blackouts/excessive drinking at an earlier age?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I smoked a lot of pot when I was younger, and drank pretty hard before I got sober. I often have to write things down because if I don't, I will likely forget something that I need to do.

I don't know if it's from past abuse of my body, or just me being a forgetful person.

Tom
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For many many years I could not remember peoples names unless I worked with them every day, I always thought I just had a bad memory. Well I am finding that the longer I am sober the better my memory for names gets, it still stinks, but in comparison to how I used to be it is far better.

Pot really messes with short term memory, alcohol does as well, for some of us this never gets better. I would suggest reading "Beyond the Influence" or "Under the Influence" they may have an answer to that question.