Notices

Does this sound like alcoholic wet brain?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Queentee, I do hope that your AH makes it through. As cliche as it sounds I believe that once there is life there is hope.

In respect of your earlier query re knowing persons who died from alcoholism, my friend did but not from liver disease. His drinking lead to him passing out with a cigarette in his hand and he died from the effects of smoke inhalation. Alcohol may not have been the technical cause of death but it was the reason he died. For all I know internally he may have been a lot worse than just 'passed out'.

I know that he suffered from dehydration, stomach pains, loss of memory as a result of his drinking but I can't speak to how much worse it could've gotten but clearly from the above, it can always get worse so be prepared but try not to let it eat you up either. Take care of yourself as I know all too well that while only one person may die as a result of the addiction, it can all to easily kill (symbolically at least) those left behind.

I swear, the more I learn about alcoholism and its effects, the clearer it is to me of what a horrible horrible addiction it is and I can't even imagine the effects it had on my friend. Viewing this thread in particular made be really seriously consider if the way my friend died was not really a blessing in disguise. God knows I would've wanted him to recover and would do anything to have him back, but if his conditioned would've worsened to what some of you have described, then I wouldn't have wanted him to go through that pain.

I honestly don't know what stage he was at and I definitely think I underestimated the level and significance of his drinking and I have been curious about the hallucinations he had. I always assumed he had them as a symptom of periods of withdrawals and maybe that was the case but the week before he died, I saw it first hand (versus talking to him on the phone) That didn't surprise me, but what did was that when I mentioned them to him, for the first time he never accepted them as hallucinations but as something that was real and was shocked that I didn't believe that there were real people or ghosts in the room with him at the time.

That's why I had asked about whether alcohol drives you to insanity in another thread and Carol had referred me to an article but it's good to hear the practical experiences as well.

Was my friend experiencing withdrawal symptoms or the early stages of something worse, I'll never know but it'll be good to hear your thoughts.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Is there any chance you could convince him to come on the forum queenteree?

Tell him it is full of people who have been where he is just now, and if he puts a small bit of effort in to spending some time here maybe we can show him that recovery is possible for him too.

Maybe the idea of quitting seems like a fantasy to him, and he has accepted his own death is inevitable soon and is in denial about his symptoms.

I am so sad at this story right now.

Please, please try to get him to come on the forum. At least maybe if he sees there are people who have quit with the help of doctors and medicine and recovery programs (whatever it takes) he might be able to see there is hope for him.

Thinking of you both at this time - I hope you can convince him to come to the forum - even to take a look, if not to say anything.

If he wants a fellow alcoholic to talk to, I'm sure somebody in his own age group or who had reached the same stage as him would only be too happy to take a PM from him and try to convince him to seek help.

Thinking of you both.