Notices

What are your hobbies?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greeneyes2008 View Post
What do you do now that you do not drink? It seems like no matter where I go or what I do, everything reminds me of drinking because I have drank for THAT long................... Its like, it is always there in your mind.
Photography and sailing. Google webshots racko8 to see both of the things I am very fond of....

Last edited by sailorjohn; 05-08-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Life. I actually live it today instead of dream about it. A few of the things that keep me busy in life that I am enjoying today.
Hiking, photography, playing with my beagles, spending time with friends, finding new resturants, gardening, landscaping, I will be learning to SCUBA dive this summer (hopefully before I take the cruise to Alaska in July so I can dive there), spending time at the beach, camping, crabbing (nothing better than fresh caught crab), and the list goes on and on.
Today my life is full thanks to finding sobriety.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is a very positive thread. There IS life after drinking. My life is much better, and I find happiness in my hobbies as well.

Reading
I really get a kick out of reading books. This is something I never did when I was drinking and doing drugs (too messed up in the mind I guess).

Hobby Machine Shop
I have a desktop milling machine and metal lathe. I've been dabbling into some small hobby machine shop projects. I wouldn't dream of doing this when I was drinking and doing drugs.

Woodworking
I get a kick out of making stuff in my garage. I'm obsessed with my tools.

Playing with my children.
It's a real blessing to be able to keep up with them, and not feel hungover. It's neat to do things with them without worrying about spilling my beer.

Photography
I obsess over my home photo booth, and my camera.

Sobriety is my number one priority in life. All good things (including my hobbies) depend upon it. I wouldn't do any of these things if I wasn't sober.
chip
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Playing with my kids (Sheila- 3, Liam 1 1/2), reading ( I like American History and Upton Sinclair), writing (I'm working on a doctorate), hiking (White Mountains, Blue Hills, Charles River), baseball (mostly watching - Go Red Sox), union activist (In unity there is strength!), and hugging my wife. I'm gonna go do that now!
Mike
Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(im a nerd)

politics is my obsession. i like studying past election returns, voting behavior, voting trends, political history, etc. my current obsession is the reconstruction era (1863-77) and how it impacted southern politics forever.

i read a lot.

im a huge baseball fan and fantasy baseball player.

i also really enjoy walking.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I enjoy working out & find it helps with cravings. I was unable to for a long time because of a herniated disk in my back. I developed a valium/norco soon after injuring my back. Anyways, it has gotten better & have recently starting running 10 miles a week again.

Tib
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree that running can really help, it clears my head. Painting is also very peaceful...I suck at it, but it does help!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I fill my time studying (taking financial designation courses) and racing Triathlon, which I did before sobriety...just not as well : )
Old 06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Running, cars, hockey, yoga, and school.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I got my motorbike license and sold my car and bought my harley 2yrs ago.I am addicted to feeling the wind on my face.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Fitness

Reading

Guitar
Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Shooting, collecting military surplus rifles, fishing, reading, camping, motorcycle riding (just started)!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For me it's reading, working on my writing, and now that summer's coming I'll be outside more working in my flower garden and taking walks.

Barb
Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Running, cars, reading.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Greeneyes!

I have been asking myself the same questions. i am a newbie, I have been a professional photographer for years. My hobbie is going back through all of my travel photographs and reminding myself where I've been. I've been all over the world, and I wish I could remember it better. I also bicycle alot. Getting out and doing some sort of exercise really does the body good. I just have to have an Iced tea instead of a cocktail afterwards. I'm looking forward to reading more, although I have to admit I'm more of a "Books on tape" kind of duder..

Heavy
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for this, its a really positive topic!

I LOVE reading, I am a real bookworm.

I also enjoy making cards, although I need to feel inspired and creative so its usually sparodic.

But, right now I am loving knitting! My sister is expecting her first baby and Ive been going knitting crazy, I am only a beginner but I am really enjoying doing it, it keeps my hands and my head busy