Notices

Day 9 - When Will I Feel Better?!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 - When Will I Feel Better?!

Well this is day 9 of sobriety for me... and I'm still waiting to feel better physically.

For the past couple of nights I have been getting mild but weird DT-like symptoms... I'm talking about visual disturbances, and when I'm trying to sleep, I hear occasional voices or weird sounds that shouldn't be there. Also occasional weird heartbeats, etc. I talked to someone at a meeting last night who is 6 months sober and he said you can still get weird symptoms up to two weeks or so.

I woke up this morning with almost hangover-like symptoms... which isn't fair 'cause I'm not drinking! I've also had a bad headache for days now, (mainly in the neck area). I'm so tired that all I feel like doing is lying around on the couch most of the day... (when I'm not at meetings), not to mention upset stomach, more bloating, etc.

Grrr....... I just want to feel better already!

When will this stuff go away??!!

I do have to mention there is one good thing -- I'm FINALLY able to sleep at night again. Sure, there are weird sounds and visual stuff as I'm drifting off, but I can finally sleep without taking anything or drinking, which is a MAJORLY positive thing.

And yes, I'm drinking lots of water and taking vitamins... going to at least 2 meetings per day because the darn cravings have come back. But I'm staying sober so far...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you seeing a dr. about this? Have you had your enzyme levels checked? are you eating?

I was fortunate that I was able to see my dr. alot during the first few months.

Hang in there....but only a dr. can be sure these are withdrawl symptoms or if there my be other things (some that alchol use causes or exaserbates) going on.

let us know how it goes.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I get similar feelings when I start drifting off to sleep. Sometimes I start to feel panicky like I need to jump up but have that sleep paralysis come over me, half asleep and half awake. I'll be frozen and every little move I make seems to be like trying to move lead weights off me. I find though drifting off to sleep with the radio or TV on helps cut that off. At least for me it does.

And that's good you're drinking plenty of water and taking vitamins. You also might want to switch your diet up some. Try getting in more fresh fruits and vegetables if you aren't doing so already. Also try some exercise. Doesn't have to be on the levels of a olympian but going out for walks, bike riding or what not combined with a sound diet should hopefully help you to start feeling better.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sobergirl,

Tomorrow is 3 weeks for me and most of my symptoms are mild. Emotionally, I am having to work harder, but you do start to feel better. Feeling "off" can cause anxiety which causes stress which causes paranoia.... all in the mind. But if you think it's something else, see your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have many down moments and I have been off for 45 days. But I also have good moments. I was a light drinker but decided it was time to give it a rest, so I quite. Your mileage my vary, but don't lose sight of the moments that show you improvements, such as your sleep.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first couple weeks were the hardest for me, but after that I did start to feel human again and less like a wet sponge. Hang in there! It does get better!:ghug
Old 04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are making progress....
Keep in focus....the best is yet to come!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OK we can add "brain fog" to the list o' complaints... I mistakenly posted my reply meant for here on another thread.

I meant to post here that I put myself on the BRAT diet - bananas, apples, rice and toast, until my tummy and digestive system feels better. I'm sure I have done damage to both and it will take some time to get back to total normal.

As for everything else, I'm just going to wait for it to pass... I have no doctor but I intend to find one and make an appt. soon.

Once I go for a full day and night feeling normal physically, I will come back to this thread and post about it!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time sobergirl.

It is good that you are sleeping and eating.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It depends on what you mean by "feel better". It takes longer than you want, but eventually you will be shocked at how good you feel. Most people just never get that far, you just have to keep going and working hard whether you have 9 days or 9 years, and you will see the fruits of your labors.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

It gets better every day, for me it took about a month for the fog to start to really lift, at 2 months even though I was mentally going nuts again for a drink I was really seeing a big difference in the fog.

Every month that went by my thought processes improved and I kept thinking "It can't get better then this and a month later it was better yet, this went on for over a year!!!

Now the tired part...... well that lasted quite a while, but I swear I think it was more mental because once I made myself start doing something the energy would be there even though I did not feel it was there before I started.

9 days is awesome, but you have just began to start to feel better, the amazing thing is if you are like me every time you think it can not get better it does!