Notices

23 days and not counting

Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23 days and not counting

I am counting really but trying not to make too big a deal about it. The only number that really matters is one, today, and hopefully those one's will group together into a number so large that it no longer matters! Ive kept pretty focused on getting well and staying clean, working to longterm "good health". Ive kept it simple so far, not worrying about the future, or for me more importantly, the past.

I was reading the post by soberscot and it is that "how can I do this forever?" that has usually tripped me up. Those occaisions when drink is part of the package, weddings, christmas etc, but I dont have to do this forever, just today, thats all Ive got for certain anyway. Ive got through some tricky days in the last 23, ironically yesterday was the hardest. I had to go to court as a witness, neverdone it before and was really stressed, in the afternoon I was out on my own, a classic recipe for a drinking diaster. But I came through it, and in any case that was yesterday.

Good luck to all on this rocky path and those stood looking at it, trust me its worth the odd stumble.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep going Pete! Is there anything you're doing to help yourself - like meetings/support...? Keep going Pete!

Cathy31
x
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

have another wonderful sober day today~
Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

As long as we stick in the day we are living we have a chance, the reason I put my date of sobriety out there is for others to see that it is possible, even an old sot like I was did it. I am no longer a sot, but I was.

Good job on doing it one day at a time for 23 days straight.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

Hi Cathy31, Im working at SMART, keeping posting etc. Most importantly for me I am doing stuff that makes me interact with "normal" people, Ive taken up yoga (ouch), booked my self onto a fly fishing course, and got back into stuff Ive not done in years. Drinking made me a very solitary person in many ways so the more I mix with people the further I get from that individual. Its really ironic that one reason I drank was to give me that dutch courage when meeting people or facing new situations, now I cant get enough of that and Im sober!

I have been open and honest with my family, it was difficult and in many ways I felt ashamed, but for me moving forward requires absolute truth and honesty. 23 days ago I was out of breath and simply doing anything (apart from drink) was becoming a struggle. I now feel liberated, I know that that little voice cant strike in an instant, but I want this sobriety so much this time that I will do what ever it takes. At the moment I am confident that I have sufficient tools to cope, but I know where to go if I feel that I cant.

Importantly I dont feel that I am doing this alone, its simply too hard like that, I have my family and real friends who at least know what I am trying to do even if they cant quite understand and you guys who are there 24/7!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pete flyfishing...... isn't that where you tie a fake fly to a line on a long pole, whip the water savagely with it in one direction and then jerk it behind you to hear it crack like a whip and continue to do that until the fake fly is gone? LOL That is the way I learned to do it anyhow!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations on your 23 days, one at a time!8
Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I now feel liberated, I know that that little voice cant strike in an instant, but I want this sobriety so much this time that I will do what ever it takes."

I re read this post and realised a mistake it should read "little voice CAN strike in an instant"!!!!!!!

Tazman, thats what happened the only time I tried it, tho Im sure there is still one in my left ear! Thats why Im getting lessons!!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pete,

I also allowed myself to get very isolated when I was drinking and had to venture out and get involved in things again. I'm glad to hear about the yoga! Yoga is the best! For me, balance is the basis of recovery and yoga keeps me centered and in the moment and allowing a few moments of quiet into my mind, body and spirit.

I'm glad you're doing well Pete!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ever closer...

One day at a time....what a novel concept...I need to remember that! And I mean that . I am on day 10 and am also not trying to count but I just can't help it. I am ever amazed over the past few days how much I can actually get done without drinking. I also sat at home and hid and drank in solitude. I am getting out and doing more and I love it. I almost missed all of spring. I don't even remember the dafodills and tulips blooming. But I am ready for the flowers now!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

beingjenagain...

I just planted my porch urn with multi-colored Portulaca.
They make a cheerful picture.

Welcome to our community!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, beingjenagain!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Since I'm still relatively new in recovery, I've found that when I focus on how many days I have I start freaking out. Almost like the reverse of future tripping? I dunno...maybe I'm weird.

I just do my best to turn over each day to my higher power and go from there.

I'm on ~ 36 or so, but to me it's still day 1. Keeping the pain of my active use in mind, one day at a time, with the help of AA and my sober friends this thing is working.

Congrats on 23, ice.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by icecream pete View Post
Thanks guys

Hi Cathy31, Im working at SMART, keeping posting etc. Most importantly for me I am doing stuff that makes me interact with "normal" people, Ive taken up yoga (ouch), booked my self onto a fly fishing course, and got back into stuff Ive not done in years. Drinking made me a very solitary person in many ways so the more I mix with people the further I get from that individual. Its really ironic that one reason I drank was to give me that dutch courage when meeting people or facing new situations, now I cant get enough of that and Im sober!

I have been open and honest with my family, it was difficult and in many ways I felt ashamed, but for me moving forward requires absolute truth and honesty. 23 days ago I was out of breath and simply doing anything (apart from drink) was becoming a struggle. I now feel liberated, I know that that little voice cant strike in an instant, but I want this sobriety so much this time that I will do what ever it takes. At the moment I am confident that I have sufficient tools to cope, but I know where to go if I feel that I cant.

Importantly I dont feel that I am doing this alone, its simply too hard like that, I have my family and real friends who at least know what I am trying to do even if they cant quite understand and you guys who are there 24/7!
Hey that's so wonderful to hear, Pete! Not doing it alone is key IMHO! I also took up yoga - it's awesome but definitely ouch! LOL!

well done Pete! You've done it before you can do it again!
Cathy31
x