Notices

Has anyone else suffered Vertigo while detoxing?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone else suffered Vertigo while detoxing?

Just wondering. I'm on day 4 and on top of feeling like I'm about to fly into a thousand pieces, Ive got this.
Is this something that comes with alcohol detox, regulary?
I asked my Doctor and she didn't have a solid answer.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I detoxed off of benzos and opiates and I did have vertigo. Sometimes I even had it while I was laying down. It felt like the couch was falling. Wow. Thanks for helping me remember why I never want to go back to that awful way of living.

Welcome to SR and keep posting!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I had vertigo while detoxing to the point of stumbling around. Vision irregularities too. These symptoms went away after about 10 days.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
Yes, I had vertigo while detoxing to the point of stumbling around. Vision irregularities too. These symptoms went away after about 10 days.
10 days?wow. Did you take the Anivert, or just ride it out?

lol, this kinda like insult to injury. Oh well, I ran up the bill, and now I gotta pay it. I hope this will be my last trip through Detox land. The trip gets rougher and rougher.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Detoxing gets worse every time. Know that this can be your last time to ever go through it. I journaled while detoxing. I can go back and feel those feelings by reading it. Maybe you should try that. Hang in there.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=1is2Many;1722272]10 days?wow. Did you take the Anivert, or just ride it out?

I just rode it out. It was not constant, but did last for about 10 days off and on.
Good thing is, I never have to go through that again.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cannot seem to make quotes look like they are suppossed to in the little grey box. Must be having a blonde moment.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I had vertigo when detoxing, but I suspect it was because I was in a medical detox where I was taking Librium every couple of hours. This is to reduce the chance of having a seziure...it's a benzodiazapine like Valium, from what I understand, so this is no surprise. I don't recall having vertigo the couple times I stopped drinking on my own.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was unable to watch movies with people falling, even watching spiderman made me feel as if I was in free fall. It does go away, at least it did for me. And it WILL get worse with continued drinking again it did for me. I have a friend who's been sober for 25 years, he still can't tolerate being above the second floor. I guess it's brain damage. I noticed it eases off after a few weeks.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our 2 new SR members

1is2Many.....

tryandtryagain...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why does detox get worse every time? It took me 5 or 6 attempts before my current sobriety and it was harder every time. Seriously, what physically is going on that makes them progressively worse?

I remember a "detox" in 2005. I had no idea what it was. I thought I just had a drinking problem, I didn't realize I was addicted. I just needed to slow down. I was so confused as to why I was sweating all night. I'm glad I found this forum.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome to our 2 new SR members

1is2Many.....

tryandtryagain...
Welcome to SR! Great to see you. :ghug2
Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had vertigo for nearly 2 years but I also had a head injury just prior to stopping drinking and then had a serious accident at 6 months sobriety so mine probably is related to that.

Anemia can cause vertigo, you might have your doctor do a blood count to check for it if they haven't already.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I had vertigo for nearly 2 years but I also had a head injury just prior to stopping drinking and then had a serious accident at 6 months sobriety so mine probably is related to that.

Anemia can cause vertigo, you might have your doctor do a blood count to check for it if they haven't already.

Welcome to SR!
I'm going back a week from Monday to do an entire blood work up. I just wanted to get out of there, today. I'm feeling like hell and don't want to be anywhere for very long.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome! Why does it get worse, I'm not sure, for me I think the sheer quantity of alcohol I drank day and night increased each time. It was bad at the end. Do it long enough and the seizures start.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
Welcome to SR! Great to see you. :ghug2
Thanks.
I stumbled on this place when I "Goggled" looking for recommended vitamins for Alcoholics. This place has already helped, and is a blessing.
I have made 6 days now, which is something I've been unable to do in about a year. I used to be able to "white knuckle" it for 4-6 days, this last time I couldn't make 2. I would go to sleep cursing the bottle, and find myself at the liquor stor the next morning.
I guess I have Vertigo to thank.
I thought I really was dying and that kept me straight long enough to get a toe hold.The medicine they gave me is helping (none addictive) but it makes me sleepy.

I finally felt like getting out (up off the couch), and went to a AA group and picked up a meeting schedule.I talked to a guy there that was just cleaning up. It was good to talk opening to another human about this sickness. I talk to my wife, but she's not a drunk. She understands, but she doesn't really UNDERSTAND.

I have to move forward. I know that devil is gonna come calling sooner than later.

Thanks again for being out there.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job getting out and into a recovery program. AA is the one that worked for me. I had tried so many times on my own to quit that I had given up hope that there was a way I could live without drinking and not be insane while white knuckling it. AA works for many people. I would suggest getting a sponsor and starting on the steps as soon as possible because the steps are what gives you the tools to relieve the obsession to drink. Keep up the good work. Good to see you here.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

on day one, again, and feeling very dizzy as well as agitated. i haven't taken anything for it cause I don't have anything to take. trying to rest today
Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
on day one, again, and feeling very dizzy as well as agitated. i haven't taken anything for it cause I don't have anything to take. trying to rest today
Hang in there.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I had mild vertigo that seemed to manifest itself inbetween binges (when I wasn't drinking). I remember walking once..I walk 4miles a day and felt like the world was falling around me..very weird. I also used to wake up in middle of night with weird pins and needle feeling all over my body. All this DID go away. So hang in there.