Notices

Campral

Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober 22 years and relapsed

Campral

I've been on that for 3 weeks now and don't notice anything. Has anyone tried it and found that it helped them to not drink?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No, I have no experience with Campral
I got sober before it was on the market.

Several members have or are using Campral
I do hope they will reply.

Glad you have joined us here on Alcoholism AD!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD. Just being acknowledged is a good feeling. *hug*
Old 03-02-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Repair

I have taken Campral and didn't notice any effect either. I don't want to discourage you, but I relapsed while taking it. It may help some folks -- everyone is different.

In my case, only a spiritual awakening by following the suggestions of AA lifted my desire to drink. Today, I'm not relying on prescription help -- only my higher power.

Hope this helps.

R2R
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

off of med's

When I was using, the doctor said I had a host of thinking disorders. After being sober for a while the symtoms have disappeared.
Through the grace of GOD and the fellowship of AA I am recovering from this disease. The spiritual awakening came slowly, actually the psychic change came first. In finding the best sponsor of all time, I am riding this wave all the way. Thanks Bill W. Dr. Bob Ebby and the whole crew. Boy, I can't even imagine what they went through.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I've been on Campral for about a month, maybe a little more. I haven't noticed an effect either, but I'm not about to go off it just to see if I feel a difference.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm already on other meds and don't see the point in staying on Campral because I won't know which one is working until I weed some of them out.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Are you doing as Campral and all other meds designed for alcohol cravings suggest and also working a program of recovery?

All of them say they are not effective unless the person taking them is in some sort of long term recovery program.

I was on Revia for a while after I got out of detox and noticed no difference in cravings, but that is me, what I found kept me sober was AA.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was on campral for about 11 months. It worked great as far as cravings but it does nothing to help me to remain sober. It was not until I surrendered and started in AA did I feel good about being sober. I'm pretty new at AA but I can tell already there is something different this time around. I'm not sure exactly how it works at this point I can only tell that it is working. I took campral for about the first month in AA to help get over the strong cravings then decided it had served its purpose.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I took Campral for 18 months and it definitely helped. The original plan was to stay on it for a year and then slowly reduce the dosage (down from 2 pills 3X per day to 1 pill 3X per day) for 15 months and then discontinue. When I started weaning down as planned at the 12 month point, the cravings returned and they were pretty disturbing. The Doc told me to go back to the full dose for another 3 months and try to reduce the dosage again at the 15 month point. I did reduce the dosage again as planned at the 15 month point, and there were no cravings. I completely discontinued at 18 months and haven't had any problems with cravings. My doctor has several patients who are now in full remission after taking Campral for 12-18 months.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Another -

I was prescribed Campral at the beginning of sobriety and stayed on it for about eight months. It *did* help keep things on a more even keel while the body healed up, I do have to say that. Some alcoholics will simply switch over and compulsively eat, or smoke, or drink soft drinks, or who knows what... the Campral really did help with that. I was more stable in that regard absolutely.

The paperwork does say that it's to be used along with a program of recovery, medical supervision and I did do that too. Good luck to ya! Hope it works as well for you!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm not sure exactly how it works at this point I can only tell that it is working.
Dan I found things went a lot smoother for me when I quit trying to figure out exactly how it works, some parts are easy to figure out, others...... well I have learned just to accept that if I follow the suggestions and live the steps the best I can things just work out for the better.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As strange as it may sound since I just posted that a day or so ago, I am finding that Campral is helping me.

I didn't actually know what it was suppose to do to begin with and now that I read about it today, I find it is doing what it says it will do.

I'm staying on it I decided plus working my "own" program. Been to AA a lot and trying something different this time.:praying
Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm staying on it I decided plus working my "own" program. Been to AA a lot and trying something different this time.
Just maintain that willingness to do what ever it takes to stay sober and things will work out!

"My own program" alone failed me miserably over and over again, for me I was not able to stay sober and also happy until I added AA as the main player in "My own program" AA in step 11 encourages us to expand into other areas of recovery/spirituality.