Notices

alcohol and sex drive

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
trying to understand

Question alcohol and sex drive

I drink 2 -3 glasses of wine every night. Is it possible that that much alcohol can have an effect on sex drive over time? I've had my nightly wine for years. I'm a 46 year old female and have been married for 25 years. The lack of libido is a big problem in my marriage right now. I've had my hormones tested and they are normal.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Why not quit the alcohol
for a month and see what changes happen?
Congratulations on your long marriage.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trying to understand

That's what I was thinking, too. I wasn't sure how long it would take to see a difference, if there was one. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1senuf View Post
I drink 2 -3 glasses of wine every night. Is it possible that that much alcohol can have an effect on sex drive over time? I've had my nightly wine for years. I'm a 46 year old female and have been married for 25 years. The lack of libido is a big problem in my marriage right now. I've had my hormones tested and they are normal.
Seems to have been a problem with my exAH (he left after 27y instead of stopping the alcohol.......his dad suggested he was probably "bored" after 30yr with the same woman and thought a younger woman was all he needed;but not to stop drinking).

Actually, his nightly drinks effected him (and me) in every way;as his drinking progressed. It was certainly more than boredom. Physically,mentally,emotionally,etc. the drinking gradually started to effect it all. And that was when he was not passed out or close to it,which became more the norm.

Drinking makes me feel connected on a surface level,but really "disconnects" me on a deeper feeling,etc. level;the connection which is essential to me to have a meaningful sex life.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a memory bubble
when anyone says 2 or 3 glasses of wine.

While following a diet....and still drinking
I was allowed 2 glasses of wine daily.

I had a difficult time finding a glass
large enough to hold the usual ammount I drank.

Not to say that is true for you 1senuf
only making fun of my past nutso behaviors.

Keep in touch.... ...k?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

:rof

I dunno ... the drinking and *my* sex drive had more to do with
who I woke up with or where ... quick introduction or chew yer arm off kind of thing...
not so much the other....
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Actually drinking increased my sex drive.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

hahaha

My son found one.

Every time I see someone ask about drinking and sex drive... I keep thinking...we shouldn't drink and drive anything. Alcohol had more of an effect on my sex drive then it did on my automobile driving. I never crashed a car while drinking and I never had a car run out of gas while drinking.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
or chew yer arm off kind of thing...
hahaha

I remember one such day and the parts I didn't remember, my friends filled me in on.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

2-3 glasses a night if they are real wine glasses and not water glasses probably wouldn't cause a problem, now if they are LARGE glasses then they could!!

Why not try what Carol suggested, just do not drink for a month or 2 and see what happens.

Now if you find you can not go without the wine for that long then I can assure you that you are in the right place to start finding some answers to what may really be up.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trying to understand

I appreciate all the candid responses to my question. I knew that's what I would get. I originally found this site to be very helpful when researching answers to questions about my drug addict sister in law's behavior. Luckily, she's no longer my SIL, and I hope I never have to lay eyes upon her ever again.

But, back to my question.....I have read lots of posts in here saying that it is not how much you drink, or when you drink, but what happens to you when you drink that determines if you're an alcoholic or not. So, for me, I need to find out if the drinking is causing this problem in my marriage. If it is, and I can't stop, then I definitely have a problem.

I'm sure I'll be back. Thank you for the responses.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

1senuf take care, in one way I hope to hear from you again and in another way I hope we don't.

What I hope for you is that you quit drinking for a month, your sex drive returns and you could care less if you ever have another drink.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

2-3 glasses over time.... well, Id be sound asleep by then so YEP!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just came across this thread and it seems like I may be in a similiar situation.. 1senuf, how did your experiment with this go? I am very curious to know if laying off the wine for awhile made your sex drive noticeably increase?

thx.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm currently taking a Cravings and Addictions class and learned about alcohol that while it may increase sex drive, it most always has negative effects on performance. And it can depress libido. I noticed this first hand, even when I just had a few drinks, and I'm a 24 year-old male! I think it's normal for sex drive and performance to slow down or halt for a woman your age. Have you or are you going through menopause? You might also consider seeing a sex therapist, or just a regular therapist, to talk about what else might be going on in your life to affect your libido. I'm with Carol though, try going without alcohol for 30 days and see what happens. I noticed when I went off alcohol for just a week my libido went through the roof.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is it possible that that much alcohol can have an effect on sex drive over time? I've had my nightly wine for years. I'm a 46 year old female and have been married for 25 years.
I always heard it was the wedding cake that killed the sex drive.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

badrabbitt.....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum....

The member who started this thread last year 1senuf
has not returned ...so do not be disappointed
When your question to her won't be answered by her.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Actually drinking increased my sex drive.
co-signs

thats typical with most of the men i know though (assuming you are a man) lol
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey friends. Clay, with all due respect, I don't think it's normal for sex drive to slow down for women in their 40's. I'm 45, female, and things have never been better in that department. Sorry, just had to stand up for us middle agers on the board

There are lots of things that can affect sex drive. One for women is hormone pills (BCPs). They interfere with the natural rhythms of the body (and for me, I could notice the change immediately and drastically). I don't think alcohol helps much of anything having to do with the body, since it's a toxic poison.

Just my thoughts
Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think that even 2 glasses of wine can have an impact. Especially every single night.

I definitely notice that when I stop drinking I start to really have more of a desire for men...and I think about sex more...

I think alcohol numbs your senses a lot...