Notices

I knew it

Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I knew it

Had all day yesterday off the booze. Pay comes in, BAM!
I'm drinking.

What am I doing wrong?
I want to give up but I just seem to cave every time.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The key for me was that I had to want to quit
more than I wanted to drink.

I do so hope you will also reach that point.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I did just what you did for many years, I wanted to quit, but was not willing to do anything to stay quit. I wanted to stay quit my way!!! I had done everything in life my way with great success, booze should have been no different!

Well my way of staying stopped led me to the point where I had no choice, I had to drink every day just to feel normal!!!!

I finally reached the point in my drinking where I was willing to do anything to stop drinking and stay stopped! My problem was I did not know how to even stop now, little lone stay stopped! I was lost, I saw a doctor who put me into detox, you see I went to detox because I was willing to do anything to stop drinking!

In detox they told me if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor! Well my way of staying stopped did not work and I was finally at the point where I was willing to do anything to stay stopped so I did as the detox suggested.

Well I went to those 90+ AA meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor, I followed suggestions given to me and thanks to the AA program I am still sober and happier then I have been in well over 30 years.

The only way to stay stopped is to be willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober! Are you willing to do anything to get and stay sober? If the answer is yes, you have a chance, but if you say I am willing to do anything except........................ then you are not ready to stop.

FInd a program and work it, follow all of the suggestions in the program, if you work the program you chose, follow all thier suggestions and still are drinking then you need to do some things:

1. Ask your self honestly "Did I do everything the program suggested to the best of my ability?"

2. If the answer is an "Honest"Yes!" then you need to find another program.

3. If the answer is an "Honest"No!" then you need to follow all the suggestions.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

tqconq, I know you are hurting, and for that I am sorry.

I think you ran out of patience...

"Discipline" is a difficult word for most of us. It conjures up images of somebody standing over you with a stick, telling you that you're wrong. But self-discipline is different. It's the skill of seeing through the hollow shouting of your own impulses and piercing their secret. They have no power over you. It's all a show, a deception. Your urges scream and bluster at you; they cajole; they coax; they threaten; but they really carry no stick at all. You give in out of habit. You give in because you never really bother to look beyond the threat. It is all empty back there. There is only one way to learn this lesson, though. The words on this page won't do it. But look within and watch the stuff coming up -- restlessness, anxiety, impatience, pain -- just watch it come up and don't get involved. Much to your surprise, it will simply go away. It rises, it passes away. As simple as that. There is another word for self-discipline. It is patience.

-- Henepola Gunaratana,

Today is a new day, be patient...you can do this.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow bugsworth !! were you talking to me??? well you could have been, thank you for your insight. Brutal, yes but OH so true......
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to be disgusted with myself for 3 years... and the more disgusted I got, the more depressed I got... the more I'd drink. Don't do it for 3 more years. Seek out help here and/or find a program that works.. and listen to what you read and hear. I read all the responses I got here, but I didn't see past myself. I was unique and could eventually control it. It's my world and I can control it, right? Well, sometimes things happen that we can't control. And only we know whether alcohol controls us. If the honest answer is yes, then the simple answer is to not let it control by not using. But it takes work and want and effort and if you put that in, you WILL succeed.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to not want to drink more than I wanted to drink. Trouble is, I kept changing my mind. Decided I'd give AA a try and was scared enough to follow directions. Now I don't want to drink ever. That's a good thing, because I can resist anything except temptation.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tqconq View Post
Had all day yesterday off the booze. Pay comes in, BAM!
I'm drinking.

What am I doing wrong?
I want to give up but I just seem to cave every time.
If you don't have the self control to abstain, you should consider going to AA meetings at least (if you don't already). Maybe that support is what you need to quit.