Notices

They see more than we realize!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They see more than we realize!

The other day my wife was using my truck. There was an empty vodka bottle in the glove compartment. My seven year old son opened the glove compartment and seen the bottle. He pointed at it and told my wife look that's what made daddy have his accident. It is amazing the affect our alcoholism has on all of our family from the youngest to the oldest. I'm thankful for these little reminders of the dangers of taking that first drink.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes Dan...
Being a sober parent will be such a positive
force for you and your family!

Keep in focus...your headed in the healthy direction.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember stumbling in to work, spending 5 minutes at the water fountain, thinking "no, no one knows I'm hung over...."
Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You tkdan, a much needed reminder of the ugly past. Such a relief to not have to live that crazy life.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your right, they see so much. And when we are drinking, they don't understand who we have become, and that must be in many ways terrifying. I know my son is proud of me making it 6 days, and puts a happy face sticker on the calendar every day I have been sober. He has told me he doesnt know who I am when I drink and that is really finally hit home. We now talk about my alcoholism openly. When I was drinking it was taboo. We have also discussed a few of his friends parents who no longer drink for the same issues. I think it helps him knowing he is "not the only one" and I am not the only one. I have thought about taking him to a alateen meeting, because I think that would be very benificial to him. I hope anyway.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Thanks Dan, I need those constant reminders why I don't want to fall back into drinking.
Thank God my son is too young to really have put it all together, understood.
I'm hoping that as time goes on, even any memories of me holding a beer will fade from his memory.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lurker

I know where you are coming from. We used to have daddy's joice. I also remember tell my kids to "hey look" so I could take a big old gulp of Vadka out of the bottle so they would not see. I am so grateful that if I can string enough days together they will not remember daddy drunk.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for the reminder, Dan! My kids always seemed to find my hidden bottles and cans of chewing tobacco, and they'd always manage to pull them out when their Mom was around. And they were always begging me not to buy any more alcohol.

I'm thankful that God protected them from my disease, and that I can lead by example in recovery.