Notices

The Company Christmas Party

Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Company Christmas Party

I just want to send some encouragement to anyone who must endure the usual work christmas party thing in the next little while....

It's especially hard on those of us who are recently sober. Tonight, I got through my 3rd sober work christmas party.... I'm very thankful to be home right now.

Peace be with you. May you wear the outer world like a loose garment, so you can shake off the things people throw at you. May you not let these things disturb your inner peace. This too shall pass.... Don't let these things shake your foundation.

The good news for chip is that by the grace of God I'm still sober (yay!!). I was the host/guest bartender for our company event. I NEVER even had ONE THOUGHT about taking a drink! This is a miracle. Things do get better.

For those of you who must endure these events, sober... stay strong. It isn't always a comfortable thing to endure, but it gets easier with time. I am so grateful to be sober right now... I'm giddy with gratitude to be home and to be done with this aweful reality of work/life. We can't always get out of these events, but it sure is nice when we get through them.
chip
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

good job, Chip -

I'm fairly sure I am still not in a place that I could get back behind a bar professionally.

WHat I did for my christmas party here -
I forgot about it .
Slept through it.
I even won a prize.

ha!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Thanks Chip.

Next week will be my sixth office Christmas party in recovery. I still remember the first one when one of my bosses offered to pour me a beer - ninety days after he had told me I had to go to treatment or find another job! :scratchch

This year we are going bowling again, which at least gives us something to do besides drink. On the other hand, it's bowling. Fortunately, the whole event lasts about two hours and there will be pizza which is always a plus.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by findingout View Post
Thanks Chip.

Next week will be my sixth office Christmas party in recovery. I still remember the first one when one of my bosses offered to pour me a beer - ninety days after he had told me I had to go to treatment or find another job! :scratchch

This year we are going bowling again, which at least gives us something to do besides drink. On the other hand, it's bowling. Fortunately, the whole event lasts about two hours and there will be pizza which is always a plus.
Haha, that's a great example on how people who aren't alcoholic don't understand alcoholism. People don't understand that we can't even just have one. Thanks for sharing that, I go through similar situations on a pretty regular basis. People saying, "just one man, it won't kill ya".
Old 12-15-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gets on my nerves hearing those old chestnuts which we have used ourselves countless times in the past. I've totally blown all the Christmas booze ups out and just said that i'm busy-not really bothered if i'm thought of as a misery(bah humbug).
Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The liquor biz is pretty rough on those of us in recovery. I continue in this feild because it's all I know, and I make pretty good money. Our staff parties consist of us letting the staff get wasted with an open bar. My boss and I are the guest bartenders, and it's usually an ordeal that lasts early into the next day. I'm glad it's over...... anyway, I dont' want to debate this approach we have because it's a standard format for staff parties in the bar industry. It helps them get to know eachother... and heck, most bartenders LOVE to drink all night.

If I were to compare my job to a plumber, this would be the part of the job that was the equivalent of reaming out a sewer pipe.

I'm sure glad it's over.

The main point of this thread is to encourage those of you who are FORCED to do attend and participate in work events that involve drinking. It's rough on those of us who are sober, but these things DO pass.... Eventually it becomes easier.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Showing up for life today

Good for you, Chip!!!

I went to a work-related Christmas brunch (held during work hours so there was no way to get out of it). The standing around drinking portion of the brunch was supposed to last 30 minutes, but it went on for 2 1/2 hours before food was served. I had on the world's most uncomfortable new shoes. I was only one week sober after having relapsed at the time of my son's suicide. It is a tremendous victory to make it through these things. There is a huge drinking bash tonight at the country club which I am thankfully skipping. Soon the holidays will be over.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good work all. Though the Holidays are the pinnacle of remembering what has happened, who is lost and what will never be, the Holidays are always another opportunity to get out of self and do something for another. If you are like me, I didn't need the office party to get drunk. I was a professional; I drank. I didn't wait for happy hour or the Saturday Football game or weddings or funerals or Monday or Tuesday. I drank. The less importance I give to drinking situations, the more freedom I have. The party was never the problem; it was always my drinking and thinking.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts. I was invited to a x-mas cocktail party and a restaurant dinner party. I just said I already had plans. The cocktail party was the entire family of my Uncle's new girlfriend... I wouldn't have known anyone and that would have triggered me. The other was a client of mine who threw a party for all of his employees and he invited me also. I just didn't want to go (again, wouldn't know anyone and would seek my juice).

On day 9 now... seems like so long and only day 9. I think I have the right head though to do the inlaws and my family on X-Mas eve... then a nice quiet family morning on X-Mas day.... AHHHHHH!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking, I would go through great lengths to be in "control" at company/staff parties. I guess I didn't like them much when I drank either... When I was younger I would go nuts at open bar events. Later in life, as I was trying to conceal a serious problem from my co-workers, I would "white knuckle" my way through the official event. I'd make sure I only drank 2 or three drinks...then.....go home and finish off the job properly in my garage.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was where Rufus was, I was just as drunk with a party as without, heck there were some events I didn't go to because there would not be ENOUGH to drink even though it was free.

You know now that I am sober I have discovered the true joy of the holidays and that joy is not and never has been in a bottle, that joy is in life itself!!!!

I love the Holidays! I love the parties as long as some one is not snot slinging drunk!!!!