Notices

hello

Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello

hey all , i'm new to this stuff here, i recently quit drinking, bascially spent my 20's drunk, i decided to quit, bleh its tough, (forgive me my thoughts are all over the place) i had quit drinking before for about a week at a time never had any problems... well i was done for sure this time.. then along came saturday, my heart started racing , i was anxious, sweating , i just thought i was getting sick ...i spent 2 days like that then went to see my doctor, who said i was having withdrawals so he prescribed ativan i think that is what it is , i went to work fine on tuesday felt like my old self, but today, i was really really anxious... i had to go home at noon...called the doc. he told me to take another ativan and noon i did ... got real noxious and basically fell asleep.. bleh i'm all over the place. what i'm trying to say is i am a alcoholic starting my recovery... its a wild roller coaster of emotions and heartbeats... /cheerss....
Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I strongly recommend a support group of some kind as you need something to occupy your time and other people to relate to. AA is an excellent fellowship that you should try; it really helps me. If that doesn't work out there are alternatives but others here are more qualified to inform you about them.

I look forward to reading your posts,
Shaneo.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Here is a thread full of our experiences with withdrawal
Please click on the link below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

It's good you checked with your doctor...excellent idea.

You are definately on the right path
and Yes! I too think AA is immensley helpful.

Please do let us know how you are doing
We understand because we have been just where you are.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey and welcome!

It's definitely tough at first. It does get easier the longer you stay sober. Staying in touch with your doctor is a wise move too.

Let us know how it goes. You may not believe it yet but when you post your experiences you have a very good chance of helping another person who is coming along behind you. And that is beautiful thing.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wanted to say hi and welcome

Yeah, been there myself. It will get better.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i really appreciate the welcome guys. what i dont understand is feeling alittle anxious tuesday mornign but being perfectly find rest of day then today oh man ... /ugh ihated it had to come home and go to sleep.... that ever happen to anyone? i understand its diffrent for everyone ugh i cant beleive I did this to myself.... lol wth was i thinking
i was drinking about 3pints of whiskey aweekend a lots of beer i probaly bought serveral beer delivery trucks...... on the weedays i slowed it downa bit but still drank just didnt get really hammered... i started waking up in the middle of the night with my heart feeling like it was gonna pound out of my chest... come to find out i was withdrawaling while sleeping.....i apologize i'm all over the place i'm just glad there are ppl ou there like me /woot
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome flood!!!!
I'm only 8 days sober and I can totally relate to the anxiety and the waking up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding out of my chest and feeling like the world was coming to an end (I think they call it the feeling of impending doom).
Stick around and read posts here from the pros. Are you gonna give AA a try?? I started and so far so good.
Gald you're here my friend.
Don't worry about being scattered. I'm feeling that way too right now. Takes me 5 minutes to get out of the house in the mornignwith my son walking around looking for keys, sunglasses, etc...walking in circles it seems.
Hopefully my brain will return..LOL..
Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR....Great to see you! :ghug2
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting...:atv
Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drying out and going to the doctor are steps in the right path. When I finally relized I was an alcoholic I became humbled and knew that I could not stay sober on self will alone. Welcome to SR, and feel free to ask us questions.

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, it gets better, much better !

Hang in there...
Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are having a pretty tough time drying out. Boy I remember my last drink 7 months ago. I was hallucinating and throwing up every fifteen minutes or so. If you can get to a meeting and share it will help. Just remember that a drink will not make things any beter always worse. Glad you are at least under a physician's care if not detox. I still have problems with cravings racing thoughts and I seem to get sick at a moment's notice so the healing does seem to take a long time but it is nowhere near as bad as days 1-7. You have my utmost sympathy. Try aa it works it really does!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

man i appreciate all the support you guys are giving me, today was better had a few anxious moments but nothing like yesterday , i actually did my job at work... lol my mind still does race almost like i lost a friend.. if that makes sense.. i know its weird, i think its the ativan.. who knows as long as i am not drinking that is all that m atters right now =/
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yup...that's all that matters right now. I know right now that's all that matters in MY life! I keep being told stay sober, work the program and the miracle will happen.
So, I listen, take suggestions, read my big book and don't pick up a drink! Worked for 9 days...Hope it works for 90 more years!!!!
Keep posting and glad you're feeling better!!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I spent my 20's drunk, and a good portion of my 30s drunk too. As it turns out, I found that not only did I not have to live like that, I can have a far better life without drinking. I can look back at those days and think "what the hell was I thinking?"
Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How you doing today flood???
Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

welcome flood, i know how you feel- emotions are rife! welcome to recovery
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey all , i'm doing better , feeling normal on most days but still get a little anxious everynow and then, as for cravings i really dont have any just kinda foggy.. but i love waking up and having grape juice!!!! and actually being able to put in a good days work without being hung over is great.. i went and rode my motorcycle here recently by myself , i used to guzzle booze after i'd ride but this time i settled for a red bull and water... also i'm on ativan , but worried about it, was anyone on it for withdrawal symptoms? i dont wanna really take all 60 of these pills over a months period... any way thanks for asking how i was, i will keep in touch just got a bit busy =)
Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ask your doctor for exact instructions.

IMO The less benzo's you take the better.

Taper them and do not abruptly quit....
cause they are addictive and
the benzo withdrawal is difficult.

I consider benzos to be alcohol in a pill.
And Yes! I did take several brands.

Good to see you here again
Old 12-10-2007, 03:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

my mind still does race almost like i lost a friend..
Flood if you are like I was you lost a friend when you quit drinking.

Booze was my buddy, for many years booze was like a dog to me, it helped me with every problem I had in life, it was always there when ever I needed it! I spent many a year in the end hating that dog, because it went from a friendly companion that helped me escape to a beast that would bite me if I did not pet him, yet when I did pet him he would bite me any how!!!!

When I quit I felt alone, I had nothing to count on so I thought! Well in te rooms of AA I found people I could count on, people who were alcoholics just like me, they were sober and knew how to stay sober, they let me know how they dealt with problems when they first quit drinking, you see they had been through what I was going through.

They had found the solution to thier drinking problem in the fellowship of AA and the steps of AA. They shared this with me freely.

Well thanks to the fellowship of AA and having worked the steps with my sponsor today I am happy, joyous and free, I could care less if I ever had another drink, you see thanks to AA the miracle has happened for me and it can happen for anyone who is willing to work for it.