Notices

a question - your perspective valued

Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Well, that really depends on the character of the current dynamic going on between you two, and the way you present it. It *can* be snotty, (or viscious or hurtful). It can *also* be caring and thoughtful. It all depends. It isn't so much *that* you are giving it to your ex, so much much as the *way* its being given.
Yeah. I get this. The dynamic between us is probably complicated right now. He was really hurtful during the break-up, and we broke up due to some seriously bad (abusive) behavior on his part. However, the nastiness has been one-sided. As it stands, I have told him that I love him, his behavior was totally unacceptable, and if he ever decides to get sober, I would be thrilled and supportive.

I moved across the country, and we've had some contact through email. I really was quite blunt about his drinking & behavior, and he has still stayed in contact. If he doesn't want to talk to someone who knows and acknowledges his problems, he has a lot of people to choose from. But if he wants to hear from me, he knows what he is going to get. (non-nasty honesty)

So I guess that there is no reason that he could rationally think that I am being vicious or hurtful. But then again, it would be kind of weird to bank on rational thinking at this point.

It's nice to know that it doesn't seem like I would be doing any real harm by sending the book. I kind of picture him maybe throwing it on the ground, and finding it under the couch months (or years) later, when he is really ready to read it.

And GreenTea, I really like that you read the book, it didn't have much of an impact, but then went and got it when you were ready for it to. That's a good thought too-- maybe he will throw it out now, but will be aware of its existence when he needs to be. I like that!

It's a long life, right?