Notices

new to the board

Old 06-08-2003, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

new to the board

Hello all,
I just wanted to say hello and let you all know that I am new to this board. Lately I have finally admitted to myself that I have a problem with alcohol. I'll be 26 on June 20th and I have had these thoughts lately to whether or not I have a problem with alcohol. I have drank alcohol consistenly ever since I was 17 or so. I'm afraid that if I continue to drink it will really catch up to me in the future. I am confindent that I will stop drinking, it will just take a little bit of will power. For the past 3 or 4 years I have drank beer probably 4 to 5 times a week. My drinking has not really effected my professionalism for work but I feel that I will be leading down a distructive path if I continue to drink. I'm hoping to do more activities than just going out downtown drinking with the boys and hanging out. Well, I just thought I had better get out some of my current feelings that I have been dealing with.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
D_L
Paused

Welcome Ratbones.......
Old 06-08-2003, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ya Rat,
I don't know what your idea of an alcoholic is but if you think you are alcoholic, you probably have good reason. It's something to check in to.
At any rate, this is a good place to come to. Don't forget to check out some AA meetings and get to know some folks there. If you tell them what you've told us, you'll get the help you need.
Take care and keep coming back.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hi Rat, nice to meet ya

Like what Music said, if you think you belong here, you probably do.

You say....
My drinking has not really effected my professionalism for work but I feel that I will be leading down a distructive path if I continue to drink. I'm hoping to do more activities than just going out downtown drinking with the boys and hanging out
Good for you! I'm glad to hear that you're taking steps before you have a bigger problem. Do check out some AA meetings... not only are they helpful for me, but they give me something to do.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ratbones.Welcome to the forums.Please feel free to drop in anytime.We are always happy to hear from newcomers.

Peter.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Digitally Remastered

Hello RatBones!

I am new to this forum too! I think it's neat that you can say out loud you have a problem with alcohol. When I was 26, I hadn't gotten there yet and turned into a full blown confessed alcoholic by age 31. Congratulations on seeing you have a problem and good luck with stopping in time!! [If you want to stay stopped and start getting itchy to start back again, there's help for that too! I found my help in AA.]

Nice to meet you!
Digits
Old 06-09-2003, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

It's not a Gemini thing!

Hey Rats,

Thought I was having DejaVu! Just wanted to welcome you to the board. You sounded almost my twin when reading your post. Then nearly fell out of my chair when I saw we share the same birthday! I hope you will enjoy finding sobriety from one Gemini to another and realize it is a good choice. You will find as I am sure you have noticed an awesome group of people here.

Glad to see your taking the steps in discovering the real you!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

DIGITS:

Had missed welcoming you as well, please forgive! Glad your hear to share your alcholism with us. I know you'll find this a great place, and am not sure if you already started going to mtgs. but hope you'll consider that possibility. Congrats to you on your new found sobriety as welll!

See ya on the boards
Old 06-10-2003, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Welcome, Ratbones....

You and I are in the same boat....the "newbies".....I hope I can offer encouragement to you as I have received at this site....there are WONDERFUL people logging into this site, offering assistance and knowledge. Best to you!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I want to thank you all for the warm welcome to this site. I am already feeling better only after not drinking for 4 days. I know that's not to long but it is a step in the right direction. I will keep you all posted and support all who looks for refuge on this site. Thank you all again for the welcome and I will be looking forward to reading all of the great insight this forum has to offer.

-Rat
Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Congrats on the 4 days! You say its not a long time, but for the person living that 4 days, it really is a big deal!

Don't sell yourself short, Rat
Old 06-10-2003, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Ratbone, Welcome to the board. I am just returning back from another break out. I know I have a problem but, after I put time together I decide to try and control it. I just got out of the VA treatment here in Bedford, Mass. This time I intend to follow the program as it is suggested. Each time I go out I lose what I gained back and more. I am 55 now and at your young age I hope you can avoid what I've been through. I've been in and out since 1982. Anyway, I had second thoughts of returning to the board after failing again. I have found many friends and much help
on these boards as will you. I don't have a computer at home but, can check in when I go for aftercare at the VA. Already I feel a little better talking to you. Don W
Old 06-10-2003, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally posted by MootPoint63
Congrats on the 4 days! You say its not a long time, but for the person living that 4 days, it really is a big deal!

Don't sell yourself short, Rat
Plus, the first 72 hours of sobriety are often the hardest, especially if you've been drinking regularly for a long time. Your blood sugar is affected, your eyes feel dry, your veins are constricted, and you may be kind of jumpy and sleepless. Those are all normal reactions to sudden cessation of alcohol.

Drinking fruit juice regularly can help with the blood sugar. Various herbal teas may make it easier to sleep at night. And each day that you don't drink makes the next day easier!

I agree--don't sell yourself short. Congratulate yourself every day on what you've accomplished, notice the benefits of a clearer mind and body, and remember that the urge to drink diminishes in frequency and intensity as time goes by.

Thanks for posting!
Don S
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Digitally Remastered

Ratbones hits the 4 day mark!!

Ratbones! Hi again!

FOUR DAYS?! THAT is great!! Don't judge it [ie, "it's only..."], it's YOUR four days without a drink.

Keep coming back, keep reading, keep posting, take it easy, take care of yourself and you don't have to drink today.

Digits
Old 06-10-2003, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

We both started on the same day!

Hi Ratbones.....I am on my 4th day, too....that gives me more encouragement to know that we are both at the same day....I'll keep checking in with you to see how you are doing....I am feeling all the things I have read here....jumpy, irritated, EXHAUSTED! but also "with it" for the first time in a long time....my memory is better and I am better able to handle things. Let's keep in touch....
Old 06-11-2003, 12:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Yeah, I seem a little irritated lately and my concentration is a little bit jumbled but for the most part I feel good. Do you all ever get really bad tension headaches? You know the ones when they are near your temples and they feel like tight rubber bands? I'm not sure if this is caused from drinking or not. I think my concentration level is low because I am moving to Washington D.C. on July 10th and I am going to be leaving a girl behind up here in Alaska. The anticipation is killing me because I know I am just a couple weeks from making a huge move. I am so excited! Hey Jem's girl, I'll keep you posted cuz we have quit on the same day.

Later everybody,
-Rat
Old 06-11-2003, 04:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is very reassuring to me to see more young people taking a proactive approach to their drinking problem. No one says you have to hit rock bottom to realize you have a problem

Keep up the great work. Glad to have you here.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Worse headaches now than when I was drinking....

Must be a sign of detoxing the body - I wake up with a headache and go to bed with it, (it subsides throughout the day)....and it is nothing like the headaches I used to get when I was drinking....it's different, but I keep telling myself "this, too, shall pass".....we will certainly keep in touch - seems like there are some big changes coming your way - if you feel the need to drink, come to this site....I'm checking in at least once everyday. I'm off to work! Good luck to you-
Nikki