Notices

My appearance...

Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My appearance...

6 months ago, before I stopped drinking I had come on this site and read a few things...One of the older posts was "Does your face look different?" and I just replied to it. Last Christmas after seeing photos of me with my family, I was shocked. I had not gained more than 8 lbs but looked like I had gained 30!( from my fat bloated face)

so, for anyone who has the same question- "YES!!!" Alcohol totally changed my appearance and quickly!. I have always been very slender. I gained a bit of weight after drinking everyday for about 6 months. But if you judged by my face, you'd have thought I gained 30 lbs. My face was so bloated and fat I did not look well at all, and I did not look like "me" anymore. I stopped drinking completely about a month ago and I noticed within 3 days that the fat face I had was slimming and then on day 8- GONE! And I had not lost any weight at all (according to my bathroom scale) Now, I did not stop drinking due to vanity...but it is such a joy to have this immediate benefit that it keeps me from drinking.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Glad you shared with us
Do let us know how you are doing.
Take care of yourself

If anyone wants to red the old post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...different.html

Last edited by CarolD; 11-26-2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

yea looking good is a big benefit that's for sure. Congrats!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lovescoffee, :morning

I had face problems too but mine took nine months to go away. I had a beet red face...it looked like I had acne and that is what I told people. I was so ashamed of my face because I just knew it was the alcohol causing it. Years ago they used to call it wino face...the old alcoholics would get sores on their faces from drinking too much.

I was so happy when it was gone...biggest benefit of my first year of sobriety. I could once again walk with my head up and a smile on my face. :comfort
Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile Oh wow

thanks for the replies, I didn't expect to see feedback so soon. I think if I had kept drinking I would have developed a "beet" like face. I am 32 and drank a little in college and had no issues stopping. About a year and a half ago I had some personal issues that I couldn't work out and I started drinking. I am SO shocked at how quickly I changed, my appearance and also my energy for life. I am hoping that I never get that bad again
Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Swollen face thing? Yeah, I can relate.

Whenever I drank for days on end, there it was. I would stop for a few days and yes, poof, gone and face trim again.

I think alcohol has a bloating effect, but also a dehydrating one. (whatever that means)

Intro