Notices

Listen and Learn

Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Listen and Learn

I found this mornings meditation very insightful and wanted to share. It is from Body, MInd, and Spirit
Our recovery program has helped us learn to listen. Before recovery we were focused on ourselves. When we talked to others our minds were often elsewhere. We learned how to look at others and nod our heads but our thoughts were really with ourselves.

Now that is changing. We listen to others especially at meetings. We hear what they have to say. We feed our ideas back. We're beginning to enjoy conversation.

Perhaps it is because we no longer feel like we have something to hide. Or perhaps it is because when we were drinking and using, we did not want to hear what others were saying to us. In the past we needed to protect our secrets---even if they were only secret to us. Now we must protect our newly aquired openess.

As we become more open to others, we appreciate those who are open to us. To learn from others we open our minds and hearts, but also our ears. In listening to others, we learn to care about them---and about ourselves to.

Today I pray that I might always be willing to listen to those around me
I was always afraid to share anything other than superficial bull s*** about myself when conversing with others while I was drinking. I was always so worried they would find out who I really was and since I did not like that person to much I was afraid they would reject me if they knew who I really was. I became quite the actress.

When I came in to A.A. I was so desperate for change that I listened intently to each person as they shared, I felt I had to absorb as much as quickly as I could. I was so afraid I would not get it, that I would fail at sobriety. I still was unable to let go and speak about myself in anything but superficial terms as I still was so uncomfortable in my own skin.

Fortunatly, with time that changed. I can not say exactly when as it has been a process. Today, I am comfortable in my own skin the majority of the time (truely is dependent upon the maintenance of my spiritual condition).

I rarely worry about what others think of me (have finally come to terms with "what other people think of me is none of my business." By forcing myself out of my comfort zone I have learned how to actually converse with people. Hear what they have to say, be able to speak openly about myself and respond to the topic of the conversation.

This new life that I have been blessed with through my HP and A.A. is better than I had dreamed. All I was searching for was a way to live without drinking but what I found was the promises of A.A. and those have been coming true for me some slower than others.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that.

I love your sig...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too listen in meetings. I try to take just one thing away
that can help me in some way.

Today our topic was "Life on lifes terms"
this is from Charlie C...
..."There is a grand life after our addiction dies"