Notices

Hey Augustine?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Augustine?

Last month I went to my first Matt Talbot Retreat, and I got alot out of it.

And what an interesting story about that guy! Just amazing, IMO.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...many do find his life to bee an inspiration.

Google has info ..if anyone is curious.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A.M.D.G.

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
When I went on my retreat, nobody asked me if I was an alkie or addict, or anything like that. So I don't understand that issue with you.

The retreat itself had little to do with AA, and in fact, stated clearly and often they weren't affiliated.

It was simply a spiritual retreat, and this group I belong to is (evidently) the largest group of Matts in the world. Everyday we did say a prayer for his canonization, and I think that'd be great if he made it, though they say that process can take hundreds of years.

And yes, the 12 Steps were written 9 years after he died. Apparently, one of the many priests he came in contact with, who helped him on his way, somehow or another came in contact with Bill and Dr Bob, and helped them create the Steps.

Anyway, he's got quite a story!
Hello again Doug -

I think it was the language in the manual for retreat organizers tht made me think it. It states thatall participants as well as director of reteat must be recovering fom alcoholism and wishing to strentgthn their sprituality. (And now that i think about it, the director must be a clergyman so ... Isuppose then that must mean that he must be arecovering alocholic too. I never thought abou tthat beofe.)

I did know know that about his connection to he 12 steps. That IS fascinating. I'm learning a lot here. Thank you.

Jason - I will do so. I always pray in a special way those who suffer from alcohlism and addiction at mass and so I wil offer up my intentions for you as well. I am glad that the Church is such a center of your lefe and I pray for your continuing recovery.

On the subject of canonisation - yes, it can take decades becasue of the number of bonified miracles that must be attributed ot the intercession of that saint. Each report of a miracle is exhaustively researched in order ot prove taht there was no other outside influence responsible. It means that even those obvious and holy "living saints" such as Pope John Paul II and Mother Theresa can not be "fast tracked" to sainthood. Sainthood his not an "award" for being a good Catholic, but rather a recognition of those holy souls in this life and the next.

Thank you for hte topic.
Pax,
Dietrich