Notices

Curious about appetite changes

Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Curious about appetite changes

So I'm fairly new to recovery, only been really serious about it for a couple of weeks. One thing I've learned here is that I'm not alone in having completely lost my appetite and/or desire to eat. Now, I haven't stopped drinking yet, but I have cut back significantly, and I've noticed a couple of new things. First, I'm wanting food again. It's not even that I get hungry, but food is more appealing to me than it has been in months. Second, and this is the bit I'm curious about: I've been craving red meat like crazy. Steak sandwich last night, beef stroganoff tonight... Eating meat used to be a fairly rare thing for me. Any idea why I'm craving red meat specifically instead of, say, protein in general? Is this a common occurrence?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I really don't have an answer.
Sorry

I do know many alcoholics in early sobriety
follow an eating plan for hypoglycemia to help
get back in a healthy balance.

Google for info please if you are interested.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Huh. So what I'm getting from a quick Google search is, basically, eat as close to the farm as possible (fresh and unprocessed), and snack every three hours or so. Is that the basic gist?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One thing that I have noticed since I stopped drinking is that the foods I tend to crave point toward nutrient deficiencies. I thought I was going nuts with always craving peanut butter for a while, ended up being a B vitamin deficiency.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's sort of what I figured. What would red meat mean, then, iron? Given how little I've been eating lately, I'd be surprised if I wasn't short on some nutrients.

It'd probably be smart to invest in a good multivitamin, eh?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi tellus,

The vitamin B's are important and also a multivitamin as you stated. Being an older woman with arthritis, I also take Calcium, Glucosomine, eat lots of veggies, chicken, and fruit + yogurt. I was surprised at how much sugar there is in yogurt.

Many people crave sugar when first sober due to the fact there is a lot of sugar in alcohol drinks. I was used to drinking diet pop and not hardly any sugar since I had an eleven year old daughter just diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. I just followed her diet and if I had a candy bar or such I would get one at work.

The snacks are suggested because it is wise not to get too hungry, lonely, or tired.
I know I never did want to eat until I was all done drinking because food ruined my drinking for the evening.

Hope to see more of your posts and questions.

kelsh
Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is day 7 for me, and I still can't work up an appetite for anything. Even though I'm not eating much, I have indigestion like crazy. I'm wondering if the vitamin supplements my doc prescribed is the cause. I don't know.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by comeclean View Post
This is day 7 for me, and I still can't work up an appetite for anything. Even though I'm not eating much, I have indigestion like crazy. I'm wondering if the vitamin supplements my doc prescribed is the cause. I don't know.
One thing that I found for indigestion and stomach problems is Acidophilus and Bifidus capsules. They prmote well-being and digestive health with beneficial micro-flora. Our digestive system has natural enzymes and good bacteria that can get out of balance. This helps return the balance. It is also great for people prone to yeast type infections when they are on antibiotics as antibiotics kill the natural good bacteria in our digestive system that helps our enzymes digest the food. I have had stomach problems since I was 6 years old. Even to the point of being hospitalized at the age of 15 for bleeding ulcers. Taking this is not a substitute for the prilosec that I take but it works well for those days that I have increased indigestion. I purchase them in Health food stores. I have a bottle that has lasted me for a year now.

Some vitamin supplements can cause indigestion when taken on an empty stomach you might try taking them with a meal. That also might help.