Notices

can't fool myself anymore!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can't fool myself anymore!

Hi all...i've been going through a bit of a,"rough patch" in my life these days,and i find myself battling over whether to stop at the liquor store on my way home from work or not....
the only thing that seems to stop me,is now I can't think of it as a,"one night stand".......i can't fool myself any more into believing that it'll be,"just one bottle...just tonite"....I now follow that action,that,"one night"and see myself the day after,the week after,the month after.....and it's not where i want to be....I wish i could just have that one glass.....hell,i wish i could have that one bottle...but i know now that I CANNOT.
It's not easy to resist the thoughts and the temptations....but,when i woke up with a clear head today,i am glad i did....Thanks all.KT
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

KT that is part of accepting one is really powerless over alcohol, good job hon, keep working at it, keep changing, the combination of the 2 eventually results in the miracle!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, that's a part of the mental shift necessary. Keep going KT.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember all too well stopping at the convenience store to buy gas and paying at the pump not for convenience, but for fear if I went inside I would buy beer. And then being angry that I could not. Thorough work in Step 1 helped with that. In the end it showed me the hopelessness of my condition. it brought me to a place where I had only two options, to go an toward an alcoholic death, or to seek a path toward a spiritual remedy. There was no other option. This made following step work a bit easier. A thorough, rigorously honest first step is a foundation for all other steps. And for me, I have to have a current experience with step one every day. because of this, and maintaining spiritual fitness, I can walk the world a more free man, without that constant angst and fear. It is in the steps that this happens.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Job KT! Acceptance is key. We need to accept that we can't drink, ever. I use to feel as if it was a deprivation, I no longer feel that way. Not drinking is freedom. I am now free to do anything I want. Stay strong, stay focused and stay positive. Best of luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not drinking is freedom.
Happy, Joyous, & free!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi KT....

Blessings
Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
one of many

I remember that feeling. Everynight passing the liqour store after work. I can only tell you this. If you give in to your alcoholism it will only get worse. It is a progressive disease that will take everything good in life away from you. However you can find help and plenty of support to battle this thing. Best wishes.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, KT, your post sounds like the process is happening. Please know that it is hard to do early sobriety alone, and detoxing on your own can be life-threatening. Many of us need to go to a medically-supervised detox. We are here for you. You know that because you've been around SR for a while.

Best from the Snowgoose.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey KT !

Somewhere atround my 3rd or 5th step, the cravings were gone. After the 10th step, the 10th step promises also came true for me.

We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are taking a big step by admitting that.

I found this to be the truth- the more I drank, the more I wanted to drink. So many times I said I'll drink one more time or I'd stop at a bar for '1 or 2' (yeah right) and ended up drunk and then having to face myself with the horror ( How did this happen again)? I couldn't admit that I had no control over my drinking. There is no such thing as "one more time" or "1 bottle or drink". It's all or nothing. And as an alcoholic- to drink is to die. The body of an alcoholic doesn't process alcohol correctly.

I can't worry about not drinking forever. It is overwhelming and scary. But I can wake up and say I won't drink TODAY. Tomorrow will always take care of itself. My first thing to do each day is commit myself to not picking up a drink that day. That is more manageble.

And I've found that since I stopped drinking, so many more doors and options have opened up for me.

The same can be true for you as well.