Notices

Decided to change

Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Stay away from the affine ! I found it made the shakes and anxiety worse.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Made it through evening 1. Got a really pounding headache and anxious. Took a nytol to see me through the night. Hope i be ok for work tommorow.
Day 1 done.

x
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
outtahere

I would dump the last of the beer down the drain because I really don't want the stuff anymore.

Actually when I quit I had the better part of an 18 pack and I soaked my feet in them (might as well get something good out of them, since drinking them isn't).
Old 10-18-2007, 12:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Yip me too

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
After that episode, things got worse (I was eventually fired), until I walked into AA. The rest is history.
Yip me too...the amount of times I jumped before I was fired...just too unreliable, too selfish, too distracted...Amelie you talk about consequences...for me they were all bad and in recovery only some are starting to reveal themsevels now...however, I've stopped the madness thank GOD and at least I'm dealing with past consequences as opposed to creating new ones as I go along!!!!!!!!!! Or at least if I do i'm present enough to notice them and hopefully rectify them (step 10)
Cathy31
x
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
Hi All.
I have made a decision as to give up drinkin as of today, as you may have seen from previous posts ihave tried so many times. If i do it my 3 month mark with be my birthday 17th Feb. I had bad day at work yesterday my employer notice my hands shaking and commented ( i have a job that requires manual dexerity) I felt embarassed and ashamed. I drank the night before. My co worker said was i unwell or was this normal for me.
Cant risk my job for drink.
a

Your new Bday is your quit date, you were "re-born"

GL with it Brother
Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Amelie congrats on the first day, dump that beer out, if you are like me it will make the cravings far worse knowing that one is in there!!!!

Until you get to a meeting and actually after that the best way to deal with this whole thing is "One day at a time.".

That is the way people with one week sober or 40 years sober do it, "One day at a time."! Forever is just way to much to deal with, for me when I was in early sobriety when the urges would hit me I would simply say to myself "No I will not drink today, but I might tomorrow!" The door to drink for me is always open, but I will not drink today because I can always drink tomorrow.

The first 3 days to a week are the hardest times, always keep in mind that no matter how bad the craving is for a drink, they only last about 5 minutes, then the craving passes..... until the next one, but the longer you go with out a drink the further apart the urges get.

Meetings help a lot, talking on the phone to other folks in AA helps a lot, but working the steps is what will lead to the miracle!!!! The miracle has happened for me and many others in AA, the urge/need to drink has been lifted from me as a result of working the steps. Today if the thought of a drink pops into my head it pops right back out just as quickly.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry failed yet again. Gave in to that beer last night. Now dont know what to do whether to get back at it and stop again now or just carry on to the end of this weekend.. Going to a family birthday tonight and stayin in a hotel and going to wedding tommorow. Just started a weeks holiday. Nothing to bad happened i sent a few text which was embarassing just about sorted that out this morning. Spoke to a collegue while i was drink early in on the night so pretty sure i havent screwed things upto badly. Had about 7 cans of beer
Feel low that i have let myself down. Only managed one day. Boyfriend not concerned. i dont think i fit his idea of an "alci".
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Best wishes Amelie,when your ready for it then go for it.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Amelie, we only have today, I have stayed sober one day at a time for over a year now. The longer one drinks, the harder it is to quit. Keep in mind that alcoholism is a progressive disease, it never gets better, it always gets worse with every drink, the sooner one quits the easier it is to quit.

If you think it is tough now, keep putting it off, there will never be an easier time to quit then today.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

With what's going on, do you have any doubts that your situation = alcoholism? Sure sounds like it to this alcoholic. You don't have to lose every last shred before realizing that you are powerless over alcohol. And I agree with those who recommend face to face meetings... but I recall feeling the same about running into people I knew as I had a professional position. Oh, those fears! Today, many 24hours later, those people I was worried about running into are still there and our connection is so warm and helpful. Just yesterday one of them reminded me of a project in which we were both involved before either sobered up, and she thanked me for how nice I was to her.

Another thing about face to face meetings is the opportunity it gives to help others which is a key ingredient in staying sober ourselves. Yes, we do help each other online, but I suspect I need more than that.

The best to you from the Snowgoose.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am not going to drink today. I have no plans made for the next couple of weeks to go out anywhere so i think that will help. I went to the wedding last night and drank tried my very best to keep myself from making a fool of my self as work collegues were there. I had about 5 glasses of wine and 3 beers. I apparently refused to leave when others wanted to i dont know what else i did. Just waiting for them to let me know - cringe.
Feeling very ill and think i will just stay in bed today, thanks again for all ur support.
Thats it. Drinking has to stop now.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Amelie,you probably need these next couple of weeks with nothing planned and make sure you keep it that way.When i decided to call a halt,i knew there was nothing to distract me except myself.Even though i've been a home drinker for the last few years,i was always up for a day/night out.Some friends and family would expect me to drink,especially friends and you need to duck out of all that until you feel stronger.Best wishes.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Thinking of you today Amelie..

Karen
Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi All
I am still here and still sober. I had a bad day today accidently fell over bashed up my right knee and sprained left my ankle and was in a lot of pain unable to walk. I was so tempted to drink but i am glad i didnt as it would not have helped. I would have woking up tommorow hungover and still in pain and unable to walk.
I think i am getting better.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Have you found any AA meetings? I cannot imagine trying to do this on my own.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
outtahere

Contrast bathing a sprained ankle will make it heal a lot faster.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Amelie,
Good for you! You may find it easier to just focus on this one day at a time, or even one hour at a time. The thought of never drinking again was once too much for me to accept... I found that I could accept a vow not to drink TODAY. I've been doing that every day now for 25 months, and it's working for me.

Others have mentioned AA here. I found support and comradare in the rooms of AA. I don't think I could stay sober without the help of others who share the same struggle.

I hope you have a good, sober day.
chip
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good for you. Even with the pain and walking issues with the sprain, you chose not to drink. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Happy you stayed sober, sorry about your ankle. You know you could help some one else stay sober today! Just call the hotline, let them know what is up and see if they can get you a ride to a meeting. Who knows you might just make a new sober friend. Next time your disease starts telling you to have a drink say to it "Nope, not today, I am going to call and see if I can not find a sober friend to hang out with."
Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Pol

Well done Amelie - keep going one day at a time.
Having an accident and not picking up a drink is a good step forward - for me it used to be why me? and then reach for the bottle, but not any more.

Each day it will get better.
Keep in touch.
God bless: