Notices

Water Retention

Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Water Retention

How long did it take before you stopped retaining most of the water you drank?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't remember
I would surmise it's different for everyone

I still drink a lot ...just nothing with alcohol.
I do hope you are doing the same!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

maybe just take some of those pills they sell in cvs or rite aid?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sara,

It may not be all water, the liver is pretty big, and alcohol can make it swell up quite a bit, from what I understand. Not a pleasent thought, I know.

S
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Heck, I still retain water!

It's crazy, but drinking lots and lots of water helps.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also, whenever I drink for 2-3 days back to back, almost like clockwork, on the third day after stopping, I pee & pee & pee.

PD is right, lots of fluids, just dont over do it, but try to keep things moving. Lots-o-toxins to purge.
S
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

peppermint tea is good for your tummy. try that at night.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I think a lot of it has to do with how much damage was done to your body before the drinking stopped. When I stopped I had experienced several bouts of pancreatitis, my liver was inflammed, I had a considerable amount of edema in my ankles and abdomen. It did clear within about a year without any recurrance yet. My liver enzymes are now within the normal range. But my triglicerides are still high from the damage that was done.

It would be a really good question to pose to your doctor as he is better able to assess your physical condition and determine what the cause of the edema is. There are many causes of edema including heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, emphysema, etc....
Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience was that I was not "retaining water" but was rehydrating myself after years of being constantly dehydrated.

jane
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know f911 may have the answer, but I would still see a doc if you are retaing a lot of water.

Alcohol no matter the type dehydrates ones body.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We pour pure alcohol into fuel tanks to dry out water that may accumulate there. Think about that with your next shot...lol.

S
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with how much damage was done to your body before the drinking stopped. When I stopped I had experienced several bouts of pancreatitis, my liver was inflammed, I had a considerable amount of edema in my ankles and abdomen. It did clear within about a year without any recurrance yet. My liver enzymes are now within the normal range. But my triglicerides are still high from the damage that was done.

It would be a really good question to pose to your doctor as he is better able to assess your physical condition and determine what the cause of the edema is. There are many causes of edema including heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, emphysema, etc....
Had all the tests ran. Doctor said I wasn't drinking long enough to do any damage. To just drink more water and wait it out.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is kind of gross,

But I thanked God the first time I woke up and pee'd clear with a large volume. When drinking, some mornings would be just a tablespoon of some dark orange liquid.

But yeah, drink lots of water, and take electrolytes to avoid cramps.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Retaining water??? I put on 30 pounds since I quit. 30 well needed pounds too. I would drink instead of eat.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This has really helped me because I was peeing orange too and since I quit (on day 4) I have retained water and I never retain water. Mostly in my legs. It has gone down some but I was starting to look pregnant there for a while and my arms are skinny as can be. Like I said in another post. i just turned 44 in January and that seems like when everything started catching up with me. I too was drinking instead of eating and now I am trying to keep working out because now that I am not drinking (took me about 2 days to start eating and not feeling sick after I quit) I cannot quit eating. Especially ice cream. My weakness.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

This thread was started in 2007.

Just keep drinking water and eating right. Give time time. We need to heal. If you are truly worried, see a doctor, Summertimehigh5.

Keep staying stopped!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post

This is ONLY a few years late but you hit the nail right on the head and this was in so many words that my Dr's in the hospitl told me too. It depends on how much damage has been done if it is your liver. They have me on a medicine called Lasik and it works for part of the day and that is it. I have also read up on this on the computer and everyone that has mentioned it has not ever had any relief with Lasik's or anything out there, unfortunately. My legs are so dang tender. Sometimes they feel like they are going to pop. They actually feel better when I am up getting some circulation in them rather than just lying there though because as soon as you get up they are all stiffened up again and it is hard to walk.