Notices

Eddie

Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Eddie

Eddie is a guy I know from my home group AA meeting. The very first meeting that I ever went to, he was there. He was the first person to come on over to me, introduce himself, then when he shared that night he was speaking DIRECTLY at me. The newcomer.

Eddie is a 64 year old oldtimer. Wise ass, flirt, shares till his face is blue. (and possibly yours is as well) He also respected my boundaries (I wasn't flirting back), stops to pick up donuts before the meeting, then takes whatever is left to the shelter after the meeting, even brings Amy and I yogurt parfaits now and then. He's brought small things for my daughter that he buys at tag sales. He is the guy who was thrilled for me when I got my 7 months chip, he is the guy who clapped when I raised my hand to share tonight for the first time in this meeting, he will be coming to my very first speaking commitment, he is the guy who I will forever remember, my first AA friend.

Eddie personifies the program of AA for me. He is an example of what AA is all about.

It's people like Eddie who inspire me to "keep coming".

Thanks for letting me share all..

Karen
Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

We all have our Eddie's, mine was Miss Bee, she was always (Still is) there for me with a hug, words of wisdom and support, and always made sure I knew she cared about me. Miss Bee is 84 and has 31 years sober, she is a wonderful lady who has been a big part of a lot of peoples sobriety, an awful lot of the old timers in our area always mention her when they share about thier early sobriety.

We all need to keep in our minds how important the Eddie's in AA are to our sobriety, we need to try and be like Eddie when ever a newcomer enters that door.

Our welcoming a new comer may make the difference for them as to whether or not they will keep coming back or not.

There are a lot of us that owe a huge debt to the Eddie's out there.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great share Karen, thank you.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing this. It will help many people.