Notices

Question About Alcoholism & Pains.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About Alcoholism & Pains.

First, I'm assuming that I'm a mild alcoholic. I'll go over my situatoin first and then I have two questions.

Well, I got back from Iraq almost two years ago and with a bank full of money and nothing better to do, guess what I did? It really was only about once a week maybe every two weeks or so. But eventually when I was unemployed it could of been every other day although that never lasted more than a month. So On my weekends I tended to drink. Usually just friday or just saturday, rarely both. So I've been drinking about once a week for about a year now. I'm 23 years old and while this is standard behavior for college students I'm certain it borders on some level of alcoholism. I haven't had a drink for two weeks now and I'm not overly interested in rushing out and getting a drink although it doesn't sound like a bad idea in my mind. IE I love the feeling and I would be more than happy to go out and get a drink but there is no other physical necessity on my end. First, what type of alcoholism is this? Is it alcoholism or just someone my age enjoying myself?

Second question, I have pains in my lower left side. I think it's because of alcohol because it first started showing up the day after drinking. Although I do feel it regardless of drinking or not lately. The odd part is I hear all kinds of things about the lower right side of the abdomen area but very little about the lower left side. Does anyone have any idea if this sounds like an alcohol related problem or not? Thanks alot everyone!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

its called alcoholics of weekends
And it does not matter what age you have.
I know people with 40 years old and still do that thinng of weekend stuff.
When you drink do you get drunk?
If i have 2 beers a day or so i dont feel like getting drunk once a week
Maybe there is called some other name for alcoholics
maybe the experts will tell you better.
cheers.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mar13 View Post
its called alcoholics of weekends
And it does not matter what age you have.
I know people with 40 years old and still do that thinng of weekend stuff.
When you drink do you get drunk?
If i have 2 beers a day or so i dont feel like getting drunk once a week
Maybe there is called some other name for alcoholics
maybe the experts will tell you better.
cheers.

Unfortunately, I probably agree with you. Knowing that before I never even thought about alcohol except in passing and now it's on my mind as "that would be fun" tells me there is a change in my mentality.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyO View Post
First, I'm assuming that I'm a mild alcoholic. I'll go over my situatoin first and then I have two questions.

Well, I got back from Iraq almost two years ago and with a bank full of money and nothing better to do, guess what I did? It really was only about once a week maybe every two weeks or so. But eventually when I was unemployed it could of been every other day although that never lasted more than a month. So On my weekends I tended to drink. Usually just friday or just saturday, rarely both. So I've been drinking about once a week for about a year now. I'm 23 years old and while this is standard behavior for college students I'm certain it borders on some level of alcoholism. I haven't had a drink for two weeks now and I'm not overly interested in rushing out and getting a drink although it doesn't sound like a bad idea in my mind. IE I love the feeling and I would be more than happy to go out and get a drink but there is no other physical necessity on my end. First, what type of alcoholism is this? Is it alcoholism or just someone my age enjoying myself?

Second question, I have pains in my lower left side. I think it's because of alcohol because it first started showing up the day after drinking. Although I do feel it regardless of drinking or not lately. The odd part is I hear all kinds of things about the lower right side of the abdomen area but very little about the lower left side. Does anyone have any idea if this sounds like an alcohol related problem or not? Thanks alot everyone!
i'm guessing when you drink you binge drink? i'm no expert but i believe that's a form of alcoholism. and what you're describing is how i started, used to be only weekends, now it's every other day. (well hopefully no more!)

also, i only know that with liver problems you will get pains in your upper right quadrant. no clue about lower left...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Thanks for your service to our country.

You really need to see a doctor about the pain.
Organ diseases are not unusal for drinkers.

Please read this link for information on alcoholism.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Keep posting and reading with us...we do understand.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey the first time i got sober i was 21 and stayed sober until 25...i didnt drink everyday nor did i do alot of things i thought an alcoholic was! for me it was more about how alcohol made me feel adn the things i did while drunk. the feelings i was having, like questioning whether or not i had a problem, my non alcoholic friends werent doing that. someone told me that usually if you are questioning it you are indeed an alcoholic, no one can tell you if you are or you are not, you will have to make that decision on ur own! just to let you know i did drink again and i did it for about a year, and during that time those things started happening to me that werent happening to me when i was 21! this time i have been sober two months and i prefer sobriety over drunkenness today!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the good advice and kind words so far. Thank you everyone.

I will say this, better safe than sorry, right? I'll assume that I have a problem because it's better than assuming I DON'T have a problem and take appropriate steps. The fact that I see alcohol as a pass time and less of a party tool makes me question myself and since I am question myself that means there is probably reason for me to question myself. As said earlier, none of my friends question themselves and even if I'm not an alcoholic yet, the fact I have to question myself means I'm getting way too close to the line. Unfortunately since I just got out of hte military and started seeking a civilian job, non-war related health care (lost some hearing, gunshots do that to you) is unavailable to me. I am however seeking a job so as soon as I have company sponsored health care I will seek a doctors opinion to the pain in my side. Since I haven't drank anything for two weeks and there is still mild discomfort I'm going to assume alcohol could be the catalyst but probably not the actual issue.

I'm still interested to hear if anyone knows what pain int he lower left side could be? I feel no problems anywhere else. That's the appendix right? It's not the feeling of appendecitis (sp?) though... well, a mild infecton could be anything I suppose but I am interested if anyone has had a similiar feeling.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is from the link I gave you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once in the blood stream, alcohol is distributed throughout the body in simple diffusion. Its small and relatively simple molecular structure allows it to pass right through cell membranes and mix in the entire water content of the body. The brain, liver, heart, pancreas, lungs, kidneys, and every other organ and tissue system are infiltrated by alcohol within minutes after it passes into the bloodstream.
You might want to Google for information on the pancreas,
but I have no personal experience on this.
Also...
our SR Policy Rules & Regs Forum
clearly states we are not allowed
to give medical advice.

I'd be going to my county health clinic ASAP.

Take care...
Old 09-29-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jeffrey. I can't give better advice than Carol. Welcome to SR.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get to the doc ASAP.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor but I've studied anatomy quite extensively and I don't know of anything in the lower left quadrant that would be fixed by cessation of alcohol. So whether you're drinking or not you should get that checked out by an MD.

BTW, if it was your appendix your pain would probably be in the lower right and quite severe and probably accompanied by fever and other symptoms. Either way, if you have pain and don't know why, go see a doctor. And be honest with him/her about your history, drinking, etc.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello JeffreyO,sounds like you better get that problem looked at.
With me,if i only drank once a week or fortnight then i wouldn't try to stop.But obviously we are all different and if you think it's a problem then it might be now or in the future.I found its a habit which grips you and i was drinking every day,bingeing some days other days just relaxing.
One of my friends left the forces a few years ago and for a while he used to get smashed all the time.When he was being sent to places like Bosnia and Northern Ireland he was on top of the world.He said he joined up to see if when it came down to it he had the bottle,and he thrived on it.Now he has a full time job and he runs his own company and doesn't drink much.He felt that when he left the forces he was bored in mundane jobs and drank because of it.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To echo Carol, thank you for your service to America. The suggestion to go to the Doc was the best, followed by a regular dose of open AA meetings. Check out as many different open AA meetings as you can and listen for folks who have similar stories to yours. To contact AA, call directory assistance and ask for Alcoholics Anonymous What you are experiencing is not uncommon, but from our experience can be deadly if left untreated. Alcohol is a solvent; it makes life disappear.

Last edited by RufusACanal; 09-30-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Because I can !!!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I came into recovery at 22.
I had the very same question..is it just my age and that's just something
young people go through. I've always been able to leave a 6 pack in the
frigg. But when I go out on a binge, I bascailly drink myself stupid and
just party my butt off until my body gives out or I crash. It seem the
norm becuase being that young everybody else was partying thier butts
off too.

the thing about it was..yes, I had those hang overs and puking from
time to time.
But I had those crazy depression and the attacks or durations would
happen more frenquent and longer.

There's was even a debate of wheater i was actaully an alki or not.
but something hit me...why the hell is it so important for me to get drunk
or why would I need to get drunk to have fun ?

it didn't even matter to me wheather people thought I was alki or not.

I just wanted to stop drinking and AA offer me that.
living tools for me to use and live my life without having to trun to alcohol
or drugs.

As years went on, I learned and understood more about alcoholism
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pain = doctor!

Welcome to SR and thanks for your service to your country from one vet to another. Only you can tell if you are an alcoholic or not, especially early in the disease when only you could possibly know, here is a test to take to help with the decision http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/....cfm?PageID=71